Patriarch Kirill meets with Queen Elizabeth II in London
On October 18, 2016, His Holiness Kirill, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, met with Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain and Northern Ireland at the Buckingham Palace in London.
The Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church was accompanied by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate’s department for external church relations, and Archbishop Yelisey of Sourozh. Participating in the meeting were also Archbishop Justin Welby of Canterbury and Bishop Richard Chartres of London.
Patriarch Kirill wished the Queen of Britain ‘many happy returns’ on the occasion of her 90th birthday and presented her with an icon of the Mother of God ‘Swift to Hearken’ executed in Russian jewelry traditions.
On her part, the Queen gave the high guest her portrait as well as a portrait of her husband Duke Philip of Edinburg.
They discussed a wide range of issues. Patriarch Kirill told Her Majesty about the ongoing church renewal in Russia, which is visibly expressed, among other things, in the growing number of parishes, development of religious education and theological science, creation of new dioceses and development of new forms of church service.
The sides also discussed the situation of Christians in Europe today.
DECR Communication Service
- 19.10.2016 11:51His Holiness Patriarch Kirill completes his visit to Great Britain
- 19.10.2016 02:00In conclusion of his visit Primate of Russian Orthodox Church answered questions from Russian and foreign mass media reporters
- 18.10.2016 21:01Patriarch Kirill’s discussion with Archbishop Justin Welby of Canterbury
- 18.10.2016 17:01Patriarch Kirill meets with Queen Elizabeth II in London
- 18.10.2016 13:28Metropolitan Hilarion meets with Baroness Anelay
- 17.10.2016 17:58His Holiness Patriarch Kirill celebrates litiya at the grave of Metropolitan Anthony (Bloom)
- 17.10.2016 16:03Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Irenaeus of Serbia in London
- 17.10.2016 00:34Patriarch Kirill attends reception in honour of 300th anniversary of Russian Orthodoxy in Great Britain and Ireland
- 16.10.2016 23:07Patriarch Kirill’s address after the liturgy at the diocese of Sourozh’s newly consecrated Cathedral of the Dormition
- 16.10.2016 22:35Patriarch Kirill visits Royal Geographical Society
- 16.10.2016 01:36His Holiness Patriarch Kirill celebrates divine service in London at the Dormition Cathedral of the Russian Church Abroad
- 15.10.2016 21:46Patriarch Kirill prays in the building in London rented from 1813 to 1921 to serve as a Russian church
- 15.10.2016 16:42Patriarch Kirill begins his pastoral visit to Great Britain