Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
July 23, 2013 – His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia met with His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos III of Jerusalem, who has brought a delegation of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem to the celebrations marking the 10th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia. They met at the patriarchal and synodal residence in the St. Daniel Monastery in Moscow.
Patriarch Kirill welcomed Patriarch Theophilos at the entrance to the Chapel of All Saints Who Shone Forth in the Russian Land. Addressing Patriarch Theophilos in the chapel, Patriarch Kirill said in particular, ‘Contacts between heads of Local Churches and fraternal relations between them are of great importance for preservation of the unity of Orthodoxy and our cooperation. Your recent peace visit has left a deep mark in the life of the Russian Church and our people. It was excellently covered by the mass media including central TV channels. There were many positive responses but, along with the response of the press and society, what is important is the response of our pious people who feel special love for the Church of the Holy City of Jerusalem’.
Speaking about the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia, His Holiness Kirill underlined, ‘It is a very important date in our history. Twenty five years ago, your late predecessor took part in the celebrations devoted to the Millennium of the Baptism of Russia. At that time, all the participants in the celebrations could feel that something new was happening in the life of the Soviet Union. Nobody knew where the country was going to and what would happen to the Church, but people had great hopes. And in spite of the fact that the Church was under control and was not free at that time, the celebrations resulted in a tremendous manifestation of the faith that lived in secret in the depths of our people.
‘Twenty five years have elapsed. These have been very difficult but at the same time beneficial years in the life of our Church. And we thank God for all that has happened in this time. Our episcopate and our people fervently wished that we lift up this gratitude to God together with primates of Local Churches, because we are one Church and our division is theoretical’.
Speaking about the future, Patriarch Kirill said, ‘We still have to do much in the vast lands of Holy Russia. There are tremendous tasks before us, perhaps more complicated than those we have managed to fulfil for the last 25 years. I mean the real inchurching of people so that the faith may become an important part of the life of each who was baptized in Orthodoxy. This presupposes an enormous program not easy to carry out. Therefore, we all need devoted directions. That is why it is important that we as heads and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches should come together today so that we may receive support of Orthodox Churches and their prayers’.
Patriarch Theophilos, on his part, thanked Patriarch Kirill for the warm welcome accorded him in ‘the land of martyrs’. ‘We are feeling special joy and trepidation because our recent peace visit is still fresh in our memory, because we witnessed the high spirituality of the Russian Orthodox Church; we saw her in her development and were introduced to her social work’, he said.
His Holiness Theophilos also said he was greatly impressed by the constructive church-state relations and cooperation for the benefit of the society he witnessed during his visit to the Moscow Patriarchate.
He also mentioned the difficult situation in which the Church found herself in various parts of the world including the Middle East and stressed the great responsibility that lies on the Orthodox Church not only in pastoral but also social and other spheres.
‘Our message of hope is that we are not alone. Just as we share others’ joys and pains so other Orthodox Churches share our joy and pain’, he said, pointing out that people in the Middle East pin great hopes on Russia.
The two patriarchs also discussed bilateral relations between the Churches of Jerusalem and Russia, the development of pilgrimage and the state of inter-Christian relations.
They considered the situation in Syria and the Middle East as a whole, focusing on the problem of preservation of Christian presence in the Holy Land and the importance of Russia’s support in protecting Christians in the Middle East.
In conclusion of the meeting, Patriarch Kirill presented Patriarch Theophilos and members of his delegation with high awards of the Russian Orthodox Church ‘in acknowledgement of their work for the benefit of the holy Church and in connection with the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia’. His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem and All Palestine was awarded the Order of Glory and Honour, 1st degree.
DECR Communication Service
- 01.08.2013 15:35His Beatitude Patriarch Theodore of Alexandria: I have given my heart to Russia
- 31.07.2013 19:34Metropolitan Filaret of Minsk and Slutsk meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 30.07.2013 16:36Patriarch Kirill: By celebrating the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ we close the link of times
- 29.07.2013 23:25His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and Primates of Local Orthodox Churches meet with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko
- 29.07.2013 19:24Primates of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate the Liturgy in Minsk Old Town
- 29.07.2013 18:29Patriarch Kirill’s homily after Divine Liturgy in Old City in Minsk
- 28.07.2013 19:20Homily delivered by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia in Kiev Laura of the Caves on the commemoration day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 28.07.2013 19:13The Day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles marked by Divine Liturgy celebrated by heads and hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 22:28Ukrainian President awards Primates of Local Orthodox Churches
- 27.07.2013 16:48Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church meets for regular session at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 16:27Thanksgiving celebrated on St. Vladimir’s Hill in Kiev
- 26.07.2013 22:52His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Orthodox Church of Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 26.07.2013 22:14His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Albanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 17:17His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 16:54Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of the Romanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 00:49Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria
- 25.07.2013 23:40President Putin meets with heads and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches
- 25.07.2013 20:02Statement by Heads and Representatives of the Local Orthodox Churches Assembled for the Celebration of the 1025th Anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 25.07.2013 17:12Patriarch Kirill meets with the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria
- 24.07.2013 23:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Ecumenical Patriarchate
- 24.07.2013 17:21Primates and Hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate Liturgy at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour on the commemoration day of St Olga Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 24.07.2013 04:04Meeting between Primates of Russian and Georgian Orthodox Churches
- 24.07.2013 03:25Patriarch Kirill’s meeting with Archbishop Chrisostomos of Cyprus
- 24.07.2013 02:43Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 23.07.2013 10:08His Holiness Patriarch Kirill greets delegation of Orthodox Church of Antioch
- 22.07.2013 23:29His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 21:48Delegation of Orthodox Church of Jerusalem arrives in Moscow
- 22.07.2013 17:43DECR chairman meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 12:55Delegation of the Church of Antioch arrives for the celebrations of 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 22.07.2013 12:22His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon blesses memorial plaque honouring the 220th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Mission in America
- 21.07.2013 16:11Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow