Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem venerates the shrines of Valamo Monastery’s Cathedral of the Holy Transfiguration
On May 28, 2013, upon his arrival at the Valamo Monastery, His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos II of Jerusalem and All Palestine, who is on an official visit to the Russian Orthodox Church, and his delegation visited the Cathedral of the Holy Transfiguration.
The monastery brethren met His Beatitude to the sound of bells.
The Primate of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem venerated the shrines of the cathedral: the relics of Ss Sergius and Herman the Miracle-workers of Valamo and founders of the monastery, the Valamo Icon of Our Lady, and the relics of St Antipas of Valamo.
In response to the warm words of welcome expressed by Bishop Pankraty of Troitsk, abbot of the monastery, His Holiness Theophilos said that it was the grace of the Holy Sepulchre that brought him and his delegation to the Russian land sanctified by the blood of thousands of Russian martyrs.
‘The visit to the Valamo Monastery is of great importance for us. We have come first of all as monks, as pastors and the Chief Pastor of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem and the lands around it. So we are here among our brothers and we convey the grace and blessing of the Lord’s Sepulchre so that they may strengthen and enlighten us all’, he said. Patriarch Theophilos reminded the Valamo brethren that ‘in hard times, monastic centers have always been a salvific refuge for people, and in the time of various heresies, they preserved our faith in purity’.
Then the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem blessed the faithful and went up to the upper Church of the Transfiguration to venerate the patronal icon of the Saviour and the icon of Our Lady of Smolensk. His delegation sang in Greek the Troparion of the Transfiguration and the Litany of Fervent Supplication for peace and prosperity to all the Orthodox believers in the world.
- 31.05.2013 02:36Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem completes his visit to the Russian Orthodox Church
- 30.05.2013 23:03Reception in honour of Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem in St. Petersburg
- 30.05.2013 22:21Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem visits holy places in St. Petersburg
- 29.05.2013 22:01His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem completes his pilgrimage to Valaam
- 29.05.2013 06:50Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem venerates the shrines of Valamo Monastery’s Cathedral of the Holy Transfiguration
- 28.05.2013 19:09Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem arrives in Valamo
- 28.05.2013 19:00
- 28.05.2013 12:55His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos and His Holiness Patriarch Kirill arrive in St. Petersburg
- 27.05.2013 20:24President Vladimir Putin meets His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos and His Holiness Patriarch Kirill
- 27.05.2013 07:38Primate of Orthodox Church of Jerusalem visits Laura of the Holy Trinity and St. Sergius
- 26.05.2013 01:03Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem visits Moscow representation of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem
- 25.05.2013 20:03His Holiness Patriarch Kirill blesses monument to Patriarch Hermogen
- 24.05.2013 20:56Prime minister Dmitry Medvedev meets with Primate of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem
- 24.05.2013 20:34Primate of Russian Orthodox Church presents His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos with Order of St Vladimir, Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 24.05.2013 19:25On the Day of Ss Cyril and Methodius, Primates of the Church of Jerusalem and the Russian Orthodox Church celebrate Divine Liturgy in the Kremlin Church of the Assumption
- 23.05.2013 15:01Primate of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem arrives in Moscow