His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Metropolitan Rastislav of the Czech Lands and Slovakia
On 21 November 2016, at the Patriarchal residence in St Daniel’s Monastery, the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church met with His Beatitude Metropolitan Rastislav of the Czech Lands and Slovakia.
Metropolitan Rastislav was accompanied by Archbishop Michal of Prague and Czech Lands; Archimandrite Seraphim (Shemyatovsky), representative of the Orthodox Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia to the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia; and archdeacon Maxim (Durila).
Among those representing the Russian Orthodox Church at the meeting were also Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations; Bishop Paramon of Bronnitsy; archpriest Nikolai Balashov, DECR vice-chairman; archpriest Nikolai Lischenyuk, representative of the Russian Orthodox Church to the Orthodox Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia; and archpriest Igor Yakimchuk, DECR secretary for inter-Orthodox relations.
The Primate of the Russian Church cordially greeted His Beatitude Metropolitan Rastislav and those accompanying him on his visit to Moscow for the celebrations of Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday, and noted that the Moscow Patriarchate and the Orthodox Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia had maintained good relationships marked by important historical events in the past.
“The Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia has its distinctive cultural feature,” Patriarch Kirill said, “It is an Eastern Orthodox Church, but it acts in the country of the Western European culture. This Church uses the Czech and the Slovak languages, and at the same time almost everyone speaks Russian. Its typicon is the same as the one used in the Russian Orthodox Church. We do not differ from each other in our rites. It all creates special ties between us. We all, Orthodox Christians, belong to one Church, regardless of our cultural and ritual differences caused by our specific liturgical traditions. Yet, when you pray together with someone who prays exactly like you, it makes you feel that these are special relationships. Therefore, we always have warm feelings towards the Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia.”
During the meeting, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill mentioned an important historical event of the Moscow Patriarchate’s granting autocephalous status to the Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia. “We are glad that this autocephaly was recognized by all the Local Orthodox Churches,” the Primate of the Russian Church said, “And that you have an opportunity to participate in all pan-Orthodox meetings, in all pan-Orthodox activities. I wholeheartedly wish God’s help to you, to your bishops, clergy and laypeople, so that the basic principles of the Orthodox life would get stronger among the faithful of the Czech Lands and Slovakia.”
His Beatitude Metropolitan Rastislav thanked Patriarch Kirill for his kind words and his love for the Orthodox Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia and said he would always cherish memories of his visits to the Russian Orthodox Church.
His Beatitude wished His Holiness Patriarch Kirill God’s help in his toilsome Primatial ministry and noted that one of the most important duties of the Primate was to strive to preserve the pan-Orthodox unity.
DECR Communication Service
- 25.11.2016 10:58German edition of Patriarch Kirill’s book ‘Freedom and Responsibility’ presented in Berlin
- 23.11.2016 10:31Reception in conclusion of celebration of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 23.11.2016 10:18Concert to mark the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 22.11.2016 21:02Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Bulgarian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:45Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Romanian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:03Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Cardinal Kurt Koch
- 22.11.2016 17:33His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians
- 22.11.2016 08:01Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 05:08Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Patriarchate of Antioch
- 22.11.2016 05:05His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Metropolitan Rastislav of the Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 22.11.2016 01:11Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania
- 22.11.2016 00:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Chrysostomos of Cyprus
- 21.11.2016 21:54Primates and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches attend grand meeting dedicated to the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill
- 21.11.2016 19:19His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Rus addressed the participants of the gathering in the Church Assembly Hall of the Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow
- 20.11.2016 21:42Reception devoted to Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday at the Church of Christ the Saviour
- 20.11.2016 18:46Solemn celebration on Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday in Church of Christ the Savior
- 20.11.2016 18:02His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s homily delivered at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour after the Divine Liturgy on 22nd Sunday after Pentecost
- 20.11.2016 17:22President Putin’s congratulations to Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 20.11.2016 17:06Message of greetings from members of Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 19.11.2016 23:58His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theodoros of Alexandria
- 19.11.2016 20:51Meeting of Primates of Russian and Polish Orthodox Churches
- 19.11.2016 18:34His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Primate of Georgian Orthodox Church
- 19.11.2016 16:34Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Irenaeus of Serbia
- 19.11.2016 15:16His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 19.11.2016 12:53Patriarch Kirill meets with representative of Patriarchate of Constantinople
- 18.11.2016 18:24Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 18.11.2016 08:46Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow