From May 27 to 29, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill made a pilgrimage to Holy Mount Athos
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia was on a pilgrimage to Holy Mount Athos from May 27 to 29, 2016.
On May 27, the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church arrived in Salonika, from which he proceeded to Mount Athos.
His Holiness visited Karyes, the administrative center of the Holy Mountain, where the conciliar executive bodies of government over Athos are situated, and celebrated a thanksgiving at the Protatis Cathedral of the Dormition.
After the thanksgiving, His Holiness Kirill met with members of the Holy Kinot of Holy Mount Athos at the Protatis building. Then the Primate of the Russian Church proceeded to the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon, where he worshipped at Small Vespers.
On May 28, His Holiness visited the Old Roussikon hermitage, in which he consecrated a church dedicated to the Holy Protomartyr and Healer Panteleimon and celebrated the Divine Liturgy in the newly consecrated church.
Later that day, His Holiness visited the Xilourgou hermitage, in which he consecrated a church of Ss Cyril and Methodius Equal-to-the-Apostles in the cells and celebrated a thanksgiving at the newly consecrated church.
On May 28, Holy Mount Athos was visited by President Vladimir Putin of the Russian Federation. The head of the Russian State, after a visit to the Protatis Cathedral of the Dormition in Karyes and a meeting with the Holy Kinot, arrived in the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Athos, where he was welcomed by His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and the brethren of the monastery. The President of Russia and the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church visited the monastery’s churches and had a talk.
On the night of May 29, Patriarch Kirill celebrated All-Night Vigil at the church of the Protecting Veil at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon.
On May 29, the 5th Sunday after Pascha, the Primate of the Russian Church led the celebration of the Divine Liturgy at the St. Panteleimon monastery’s church of the Protecting Veil.
In conclusion of Patriarch Kirill’s pilgrimage to Athos, a fraternal repast was held at the St. Panteleimon Monastery.
From Mount Athos His Holiness went to Salonika, where he visited the Metropolis of Thessaloniki’s Cathedral of St Gregory Palamas. After that he left for Moscow.
Patriarchal Press Service
DECR Communication Service
- 30.05.2016 09:21From May 27 to 29, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill made a pilgrimage to Holy Mount Athos
- 28.05.2016 22:25President Putin visits Russian St. Panteleimon Monastery on Athos
- 28.05.2016 16:07Patriarch Kirill celebrates thanksgiving at Xilourgou hermitage on Mount Athos
- 28.05.2016 14:45Patriarch Kirill consecrates a church and celebrates at Old Roussik monastery on Athos
- 28.05.2016 01:55His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s homily delivered after thanksgiving at Russian Monastery of St Panteleimon on Mt Athos
- 28.05.2016 01:47Patriarch Kirill prays at vespers in the St. Panteleimon Monastery
- 28.05.2016 01:37Patriarch Kirill arrives in Russian Monastery of St Panteleimon on Athos
- 28.05.2016 01:16Patriarch Kirill meets with members of the Athonite Holy Kinot
- 27.05.2016 17:14Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church has arrived in Athos
- 27.05.2016 15:36His Holiness Patriarch Kirill arrives in Athos on pilgrimage