His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: An attempt to expel Christianity from the Middle East is a tragedy of historic scale that affects the whole world
In the introductory part of his report to the Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia raised the problem of global terrorism.
“Using religion and various ideologies as a cover, terrorists try to sow fear and enmity in the hearts of people and to stir up inter-religious and inter-ethnic hatred. Several heart-breaking tragedies have happened with the living memory, among them the explosion of the Russian plane over the Sinai, a series of terrorist attacks in Paris, the attack on Garissa University College in Kenya, and mass killings in Baga, Nigeria. These are just some of the atrocities committed by the terrorists in recent months. The world community is called to stop terror and restore just peace in Syria, in particular, thus setting an example for all those Middle Eastern countries where blood is being shed now,” the Primate of the Russian Church said.
“It is with deep grief that we think about Christians in Iraq, Libya, Syria and other countries of the Middle East. Many of them refuse to leave their homes, monasteries and Christian villages even in the face of death, and we once again speak of martyrs for Christ,” Patriarch Kirill continued.
“Recently, politicians have started to admit that mass killings and banishment of Christians and taking them as hostages are a real genocide committed on confessional grounds in this region. An attempt to expel Christianity from the Middle East is a tragedy of historic scale that affects the whole world,” His Holiness said.
“Let us pray that the Lord Almighty may grant strength to our brothers in Christ and wisdom to the rulers, on whom the establishment of peace in the Middle East depends, so that they might, despite their private interests, take necessary decisions before long,” the Primate of the Russian Church added.
Information Service of the Bishops’ Council/
DECR Communication Service
- 03.02.2016 12:50Bishops’ Council glorifies Archbishop Seraphim (Sobolev)
- 02.02.2016 17:31Patriarch Kirill: At the present stage of drafting the catechesis, the priority is its church reception
- 02.02.2016 16:34His Holiness Patriarch Kirill emphasizes the necessity to establish effective system of distant learning at seminaries
- 02.02.2016 12:45In course of preparations for Pan-Orthodox Council, most of Russian Orthodox Church’s proposals approved
- 02.02.2016 12:41His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: Unilateral recognition of schism in Ukraine will have catastrophic consequences for the unity of the Orthodox Church
- 02.02.2016 12:38Patriarch Kirill: Any unilateral actions in granting autocephaly should be excluded
- 02.02.2016 12:36The issue of Orthodox Diaspora to be considered at the Pan-Orthodox Council
- 02.02.2016 12:25Patriarch Kirill: The Pan-Orthodox Council’s document on Sacrament of Marriage called to respond to challenges threatening institution of family in modern world
- 02.02.2016 12:20His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: “The Mission of the Orthodox Church in Today’s World” is, I believe, the key document on the agenda of the Pan-Orthodox Council
- 02.02.2016 12:15Patriarch Kirill: There was no question of any union of the Orthodox Church with the non-Orthodox
- 02.02.2016 12:10A draft document of Pan-Orthodox Council affirms for the first time on pan-Orthodox scale the obligatory character of Nativity, Apostles’ and Dormition fasts
- 02.02.2016 12:00Patriarch Kirill: We do not call the forthcoming Pan-Orthodox Council ecumenical
- 02.02.2016 11:45His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: An attempt to expel Christianity from the Middle East is a tragedy of historic scale that affects the whole world
- 02.02.2016 11:35Patriarch Kirill calls upon the plenitude of the Russian Church to continue praying for peace in Ukraine
- 02.02.2016 11:20Heads of states in Moscow Patriarchate’s canonical territory greet the Bishops’ Council
- 02.02.2016 11:10The Sacred Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church opens in Moscow