Joint Commission for Theological Dialogue between Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches holds official opening of its 13th plenary session
On 17 September 2014, members of the Joint Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Churches went together to the place of the Baptism of the Lord Jesus Christ on the Jordan River, where they prayed to God, asking Him to bless their forthcoming work. At the Centre of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, situated in this sacred for all Christians place, His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos III of Jerusalem and All Palestine, who is hosting this plenary session of the Joint Commission, greeted the pilgrims.
Later, an official opening of the plenary session took place at a conference-hall, not far from the place of the Baptism of the Lord Jesus Christ. Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem greeted all those present and wished the Joint Commission members fruitful work to achieve mutual understanding between the Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Churches. The Joint Commission co-chairmen, Kurt Cardinal Koch, President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, and Metropolitan John of Pergamon (Patriarchate of Constantinople), thanked His Beatitude for the warm hospitality and emphasized a profound symbolic meaning of opening the session at the site of the Baptism of the Lord – a common source of faith and Christian life for the faithful of both Churches.
That same day, in the evening, the first meeting of the Joint Commission’s plenary session took place in Amman.
- 23.09.2014 11:1013 plenary session of Orthodox-Catholic theological dialogue completes its work
- 22.09.2014 11:30Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk celebrates Liturgy at the place of Christ’s Baptism on feast day of Nativity of Most Holy Theotokos
- 19.09.2014 19:55Metropolitan Hilarion meets with Cardinal Sandri, Prefect of Congregation for the Oriental Churches
- 19.09.2014 11:01Metropolitan Hilarion meets with Russian ambassador to Jordan
- 18.09.2014 01:19Joint Commission for Theological Dialogue between Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches holds official opening of its 13th plenary session
- 18.09.2014 00:45Metropolitan Hilarion: Unia remains a bleeding wound on the body of Christendom
- 18.09.2014 00:02Metropolitan Hilarion: a full-scale theological dialogue with Evangelical-Lutheran Church of Finland has now proved impossible
- 17.09.2014 21:12Interview of Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk to Interfax news agency
- 16.09.2014 15:04Metropolitan Hilarion addresses Orthodox participants in 13th session of Joint Commission for Orthodox-Catholic Dialogue