High Patriarchal award is presented to Metropolitan Iriney of Dnepropetrovsk at the border control point of Dnepropetrovsk airport
On 10 May 2014, Metropolitan Iriney of Dnepropetrovsk celebrated his 75th birthday.
With the blessing of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Department for External Church Relations, arrived in Dnepropetrovsk on the 9th of May, to take part in the celebrations dedicated to the jubilee of the esteemed hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church.
Meeting the DECR chairman at the Dnepropetrovsk airport were Metropolitan Iriney of Dnepropetrovsk and Pavlograd, Bishop Yevlogiy of Novomoskovsk, vicar of the Dnepropetrovsk diocese, and the diocesan clergy.
At the border control, Metropolitan Hilarion was detained. The DECR chairman was kept waiting for a long time and then got an official notification which forbade him from entering Ukraine. No reasons were given for such ban.
Unable to cross the state border of Ukraine, Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk read out to Metropolitan Iriney of Dnepropetrovsk and Pavlograd the message of greetings from His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia at the border control point of the Dnepropetrovsk airport and presented him with a high church award, the Order of the Holy Right-Believing Prince Daniel of Moscow, 1st class.
Metropolitan Iriney asked the DECR chairman to convey his deep gratitude to the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church for greetings and the award and expressed his profound regret over the fact that His Holiness’ representative would not be allowed to participate in the celebrations. Metropolitan Hilarion cordially congratulated Metropolitan Iriney on his 75th birthday and wished him good health and God’s help in his archpastoral ministry in the difficult for Ukraine time.
- 12.05.2014 20:14Statement by Moscow Patriarchate Synodal Information Department on Ukraine’s entry ban for Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk
- 10.05.2014 18:26High Patriarchal award is presented to Metropolitan Iriney of Dnepropetrovsk at the border control point of Dnepropetrovsk airport
- 06.05.2014 13:16Message from Locum Tenens of the Metropolitan See of Kiev, Metropolitan Onufry of Chernovsty and Bukovina, on the recent events in Ukraine
- 03.05.2014 23:23St Gregory the Theologian Foundation to transfer three hundred thousand roubles to victims of clashes in Odessa
- 03.05.2014 17:02His Holiness Patriarch Kirill expresses his condolences to Metropolitan Agafangel of Odessa and Izmail over tragedy in Odessa, which claimed lives of dozens of people
- 03.05.2014 17:02Patriarchal condolences to acting mayor of Odessa, Mr. Oleg Bryndak, over the tragedy, occurred in that city
- 03.05.2014 16:40Statement of Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia on a new aggravation of the civic confrontation in Ukraine
- 25.03.2014 16:09Metropolitan Hilarion: The crisis in the Ukrainian society offers the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church a unique opportunity to unite all