Ukrainian President awards Primates of Local Orthodox Churches
July 27, 2013 – Ukrainian President Victor Yanukovich met with the Primates of Local Orthodox Churches who came to Kiev for the celebrations marking the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’.
Greeting the guests, Mr. Yanukovich stressed the need ‘to safeguard the spiritual values which for centuries have been the basis of our identity’ and said that he hoped ‘for your prayers and practical efforts aimed at uniting all those who claim to be Orthodox around the one Cup of Christ’.
He commended the wisdom and well-balanced decisions of Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine who ‘has managed to overcome challenges arising before the canonical Ukrainian Orthodoxy’.
The head of the Ukrainian State underscored the importance of Orthodox heritage in Ukraine’s religious life.
With special cordiality he thanked His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and all the heads of Local Orthodox Churches who participated in the celebrations, for the common prayer they lifted up in the capital of Ukraine on that day.
By a decree of the President of Ukraine, in the acknowledgement of their efforts to assert Orthodoxy in the world, Patriarch Kirill, Patriarch Theodore II of Alexandria and All Africa, Patriarch Theophilos III of Jerusalem and All Palestine, Catholicos-Patriarch Iliya II of All Georgia, Patriarch Irinej of Serbia, Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria, Archbishop Chrisostomos of New Justiniana and All Cyprus, Metropolitan Sava of Warsaw and All Poland and Metropolitan Tikhon of America and Canada were awarded the state Order of Jaroslav the Wise, 1st degree.
In his speech in response, Patriarch Kirill thanked the Ukrainian President for the high awards and the opportunity to meet, saying in particular, ‘The event for which we have assembled in Kiev – the adoption of Christian faith by Rus’ – has formed the national self-awareness and culture of our three Slavic nations and has been the decisive factor in all the subsequent history of Ukraine, Russia and Belarus… The fact that the celebrations to mark the Baptism of Rus’ are held on such a high level points not only to the ecclesial but also public and national significance this event has to this day’.
He also underscored the unprecedented scale of the celebrations in Kiev. ‘Never before have the Kievan Hills seen as many as nine Primates of Local Orthodox Churches and representatives of all the Churches, whose Primate could not come for some valid reason, participating in the liturgy. This assembly of the Primates shows the great historic significance the Baptism of Rus’ had 1025 ago. And it shows, of course, the significance of the Ukrainian Church for the world Orthodoxy and speaks of the unconditional support the world Orthodoxy gives to the canonical Orthodoxy in Ukraine’.
Patriarch Theodore of Alexandria who spoke next noted that Kiev, ‘the mother of Russian cities, as the city baptized in the common font of all Eastern Slaves became a bright beacon of grace and knowledge of God for the whole Russia from her remotest borders to northern countries’.
He also addressed Patriarch Kirill underlining that he sincerely loves Ukraine as much as Russia.
On behalf of all the Primates and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches who participated in the celebrations, Patriarch Kirill presented the Ukrainian president with an image of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles.
DECR Communication Service
- 01.08.2013 15:35His Beatitude Patriarch Theodore of Alexandria: I have given my heart to Russia
- 31.07.2013 19:34Metropolitan Filaret of Minsk and Slutsk meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 30.07.2013 16:36Patriarch Kirill: By celebrating the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ we close the link of times
- 29.07.2013 23:25His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and Primates of Local Orthodox Churches meet with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko
- 29.07.2013 19:24Primates of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate the Liturgy in Minsk Old Town
- 29.07.2013 18:29Patriarch Kirill’s homily after Divine Liturgy in Old City in Minsk
- 28.07.2013 19:20Homily delivered by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia in Kiev Laura of the Caves on the commemoration day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 28.07.2013 19:13The Day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles marked by Divine Liturgy celebrated by heads and hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 22:28Ukrainian President awards Primates of Local Orthodox Churches
- 27.07.2013 16:48Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church meets for regular session at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 16:27Thanksgiving celebrated on St. Vladimir’s Hill in Kiev
- 26.07.2013 22:52His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Orthodox Church of Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 26.07.2013 22:14His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Albanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 17:17His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 16:54Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of the Romanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 00:49Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria
- 25.07.2013 23:40President Putin meets with heads and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches
- 25.07.2013 20:02Statement by Heads and Representatives of the Local Orthodox Churches Assembled for the Celebration of the 1025th Anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 25.07.2013 17:12Patriarch Kirill meets with the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria
- 24.07.2013 23:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Ecumenical Patriarchate
- 24.07.2013 17:21Primates and Hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate Liturgy at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour on the commemoration day of St Olga Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 24.07.2013 04:04Meeting between Primates of Russian and Georgian Orthodox Churches
- 24.07.2013 03:25Patriarch Kirill’s meeting with Archbishop Chrisostomos of Cyprus
- 24.07.2013 02:43Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 23.07.2013 10:08His Holiness Patriarch Kirill greets delegation of Orthodox Church of Antioch
- 22.07.2013 23:29His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 21:48Delegation of Orthodox Church of Jerusalem arrives in Moscow
- 22.07.2013 17:43DECR chairman meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 12:55Delegation of the Church of Antioch arrives for the celebrations of 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 22.07.2013 12:22His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon blesses memorial plaque honouring the 220th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Mission in America
- 21.07.2013 16:11Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow