Thanksgiving celebrated on St. Vladimir’s Hill in Kiev
July 27, 2013 – His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and His Beatitude Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine celebrated a thanksgiving on St. Vladimir’s Hill crowned with a monument to the Holy Prince Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles the Baptizer of Rus’.
Praying before an icon of St. Vladimir and a shrine with a part of this relics were Primates and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches who came for the 1025 anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ celebrations from Belarus, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine and other countries.
Present were Ukrainian President V. Yanukovich, Russian President V. Putin, Moldovan President N. Timofti, Serbian President T. Nikolic, members of the Ukrainian governments and other governmental officials.
In his homily after the thanksgiving, Patriarch Kirill spoke of the spiritual feat performed by St. Vladimir. ‘He spiritually and even philosophically gave up all he had had in order to find a new spiritual intellectual dominant. And found it in the Kingdom of God and the truth of God. We know what happened to this heathen prince who had waged fratricidal wars, sought to devastate Byzantium and breached all limits, often killing innocent people. But he transformed himself and his life to become for people ‘Vladimir the Red Sun’.
‘St. Vladimir accepted God’s truth as the dominant of his life and wished this dominant to be present in people’s life. And it happened so. Going through enormous hardships, Rus’ was deprived of much, but then acquired much, always seeking to realize this Divine ideal in life. It was a national value dominant. Indeed, it was why Rus’ was called Holy Rus’ – because holiness, life with God and God’s truth were the ideal of people’s life.
‘In the parable we heard there is another image, that of a net. The Kingdom of God is like a net which takes in all the fish on its way in the sea. But when the net is taken ashore, good fish is left but bad fish is thrown away. And we should remember about the part of this parable which speaks of the Lord’s judgment. The criterion for God’s choice between those who are to be justified and who are to be condemned will be precisely the extent of one’s faithfulness to God’s truth. And this truth must be realized not only in the private life of each of us but also in the life of societies and peoples…
‘This great ideal is included in our national culture; it is reflected in the art, architecture, music, literature and philosophy. And even when people had doubts, even when many denied the very existence of God, the theme of search for God and inner intellectual and spiritual struggle was in the center of both philosophical thought and literature and people’s spiritual search.
‘We know how enormous were the forces which worked to destroy this spiritual dominant of our nations, but they have failed. And today we celebrate in a sense not only the 1025th anniversary of our history tracing back to the baptism in the Dnieper but also the 25 years which have elapsed since the day when we celebrated the Millennium of the Baptism of Rus’. These have been the years of the second Baptism of Rus’, the years of transformation in the life of our nations and our Church, that same Russian Orthodox Church which as mother safeguarded the spiritual value dominant of life chosen by Prince Vladimir.
‘I would like to greet the heads of state who are present here today. We rejoice in the fact that you are standing together. It means your participation and your peoples’ sharing not only in the celebrations as a historical fact but also in all that the baptism has brought to our land.
‘I would like to thank you, Vladimir Vladimirovich, for the participation of the Russian state in the organization ,of this feast. It really rallies our nations and makes clear the way of our joint historical development.
‘I thank the Ukrainian people and those who are with us and those who for some reasons are not with us today for the fact that Orthodox Christian faith is present in the life of the Ukrainian people. I trust that each who devotes his heart to the ideal, who has enslaved the heart and consciousness of Prince Vladimir, will seek to help overcome all the divisions and obstacles so that the Ukrainian people together with other peoples of Holy Rus’ could glorify the name of the Lord and Saviour in one mouth and one heart.
‘May God’s blessing and the protection of the Most Holy Heavenly Queen, through the intercession of the Holy Prince Vladimir, stay with Holy Rus’ till the end of times, so that Holy Rus’ herself may remain invincible, being a spiritual a pivot for millions and millions of those who seek God’.
In his remarks, His Beatitude Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and All Ukraine underlined that the choice made by the Holy Prince Vladimir determined the course of our history and today, he said, ‘we are responsible for the preservation of the spiritual heritage and Christian ideals in this world which, unfortunately, is drifting away from the Christian moral norms’.
DECR Communications Service
Photos by Patriarchal Press Service
- 01.08.2013 15:35His Beatitude Patriarch Theodore of Alexandria: I have given my heart to Russia
- 31.07.2013 19:34Metropolitan Filaret of Minsk and Slutsk meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 30.07.2013 16:36Patriarch Kirill: By celebrating the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ we close the link of times
- 29.07.2013 23:25His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and Primates of Local Orthodox Churches meet with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko
- 29.07.2013 19:24Primates of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate the Liturgy in Minsk Old Town
- 29.07.2013 18:29Patriarch Kirill’s homily after Divine Liturgy in Old City in Minsk
- 28.07.2013 19:20Homily delivered by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia in Kiev Laura of the Caves on the commemoration day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 28.07.2013 19:13The Day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles marked by Divine Liturgy celebrated by heads and hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 22:28Ukrainian President awards Primates of Local Orthodox Churches
- 27.07.2013 16:48Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church meets for regular session at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 16:27Thanksgiving celebrated on St. Vladimir’s Hill in Kiev
- 26.07.2013 22:52His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Orthodox Church of Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 26.07.2013 22:14His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Albanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 17:17His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 16:54Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of the Romanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 00:49Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria
- 25.07.2013 23:40President Putin meets with heads and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches
- 25.07.2013 20:02Statement by Heads and Representatives of the Local Orthodox Churches Assembled for the Celebration of the 1025th Anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 25.07.2013 17:12Patriarch Kirill meets with the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria
- 24.07.2013 23:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Ecumenical Patriarchate
- 24.07.2013 17:21Primates and Hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate Liturgy at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour on the commemoration day of St Olga Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 24.07.2013 04:04Meeting between Primates of Russian and Georgian Orthodox Churches
- 24.07.2013 03:25Patriarch Kirill’s meeting with Archbishop Chrisostomos of Cyprus
- 24.07.2013 02:43Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 23.07.2013 10:08His Holiness Patriarch Kirill greets delegation of Orthodox Church of Antioch
- 22.07.2013 23:29His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 21:48Delegation of Orthodox Church of Jerusalem arrives in Moscow
- 22.07.2013 17:43DECR chairman meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 12:55Delegation of the Church of Antioch arrives for the celebrations of 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 22.07.2013 12:22His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon blesses memorial plaque honouring the 220th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Mission in America
- 21.07.2013 16:11Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow