Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria
July 25, 2013, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia met with His Holiness Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria, at the patriarchal and synodal residence in the St. Daniel Monastery.
Welcoming his guest, Patriarch Kirill reminded him of the celebration which took 25 years to mark the Millennium of the Baptism of Russia: ‘It was a turning point in our history because precisely after the Millennium, profound changes took place in the life of the state, society, our people and the Church’.
Having expressed satisfaction with the state of cooperation between the two Churches, Patriarch Kirill pointed to pilgrimage as another step in the development of this cooperation: ‘Today most of the holy places in Rus have been restored, with active liturgical and monastic life resumed there. It could have a great spiritual importance for the Bulgarians who come to Russia to satisfy, among other things, their interest in Russian culture and history’.
Both sides agreed that the number of Bulgarian students trained in Russia could be increased. ‘We could offer them training for a Master’s degree. We have similar agreements with the Churches of Greece, Serbia and Poland. Under exchange programs, our students could be trained in Bulgaria’.
Patriarch Kirill expressed his support for the Bulgarian Church’s initiative to introduce a religious education course in Bulgarian schools. Speaking about a similar course in Russian schools, he said, ‘The education is built on an alternative basis to give Orthodox Christians, Muslims, Jews and Buddhist an opportunity to study the basics of their own faith, because these religions are traditional for Russia as they have existed here for a thousand years. This course also gives non-religious people an opportunity to study the basics of secular ethics. By God’ mercy, this course have been introduced in Russia without provoking any interreligious or inter-ethnic problems’.
Patriarch Neophyte stated a growth in people’s interest in religious education in Bulgaria. Most of the educated public, he said, support the Bulgarian Patriarchate in its desire to introduce a study of the basic knowledge of religion in their general education system.
Patriarch Neophyte spoke about the joyful opportunity for him to perform a ceremony of laying the foundation stone for a church of St. Cyprian the Metropolitan of Kiev.
After the talk, Patriarch Kirill presented Patriarch Neophyte with the Order of Glory and Honour, 1st degree. Metropolitan Gabriel of Loveci and Bishop Naum of Stobia were awarded the Order of St. Vladimir, 2nd degree. The head of the Patriarchal Office, Mr. Teodor Rusev Atanasov, was awarded the Order of St. Vladimir, 3d degree
DECR Communication Service
Photos by Patriarchal Press Service
- 01.08.2013 15:35His Beatitude Patriarch Theodore of Alexandria: I have given my heart to Russia
- 31.07.2013 19:34Metropolitan Filaret of Minsk and Slutsk meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 30.07.2013 16:36Patriarch Kirill: By celebrating the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ we close the link of times
- 29.07.2013 23:25His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and Primates of Local Orthodox Churches meet with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko
- 29.07.2013 19:24Primates of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate the Liturgy in Minsk Old Town
- 29.07.2013 18:29Patriarch Kirill’s homily after Divine Liturgy in Old City in Minsk
- 28.07.2013 19:20Homily delivered by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia in Kiev Laura of the Caves on the commemoration day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 28.07.2013 19:13The Day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles marked by Divine Liturgy celebrated by heads and hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 22:28Ukrainian President awards Primates of Local Orthodox Churches
- 27.07.2013 16:48Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church meets for regular session at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 16:27Thanksgiving celebrated on St. Vladimir’s Hill in Kiev
- 26.07.2013 22:52His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Orthodox Church of Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 26.07.2013 22:14His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Albanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 17:17His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 16:54Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of the Romanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 00:49Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria
- 25.07.2013 23:40President Putin meets with heads and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches
- 25.07.2013 20:02Statement by Heads and Representatives of the Local Orthodox Churches Assembled for the Celebration of the 1025th Anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 25.07.2013 17:12Patriarch Kirill meets with the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria
- 24.07.2013 23:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Ecumenical Patriarchate
- 24.07.2013 17:21Primates and Hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate Liturgy at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour on the commemoration day of St Olga Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 24.07.2013 04:04Meeting between Primates of Russian and Georgian Orthodox Churches
- 24.07.2013 03:25Patriarch Kirill’s meeting with Archbishop Chrisostomos of Cyprus
- 24.07.2013 02:43Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 23.07.2013 10:08His Holiness Patriarch Kirill greets delegation of Orthodox Church of Antioch
- 22.07.2013 23:29His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 21:48Delegation of Orthodox Church of Jerusalem arrives in Moscow
- 22.07.2013 17:43DECR chairman meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 12:55Delegation of the Church of Antioch arrives for the celebrations of 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 22.07.2013 12:22His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon blesses memorial plaque honouring the 220th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Mission in America
- 21.07.2013 16:11Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow