Patriarch Kirill’s meeting with Archbishop Chrisostomos of Cyprus
July 23, 2013 – His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russian met with the delegation of the Orthodox Church of Cyprus who came for the celebrations devoted to the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia. The delegation is led by His Beatitude Archbishop Chrisostomos of Cyprus.
Welcoming Archbishop Chrisostomos, Patriarch Kirill said, ‘We cordially thank you for having responded to our invitation to share the joy of the celebrations held on the occasion of the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia in Moscow, Kiev and Minsk. Your predecessor took part in the celebrations marking the Millennium of the Baptism of Russia. We all remember that event very well as it opened a new page in the history of the Russian Orthodox Church and our Motherland. At that time, we could feel imminent changes but nobody was given to know what would happen as a result of those changes. Now, a quarter of a century later, we can see that the changes have happened in the first place in the spiritual life of our people. A great mercy has been given to our people through the intercession of the host of new martyrs and confessors, and people’s spiritual life, which was banned over 70 years ago, has now transformed both our Church and our country.
‘In these anniversary days, we would like to thank the Lord for these changes together with Primates of Local Orthodox Church and to ask His blessing upon our Church’s further historical journey for the good of the spiritual prosperity of our people. The Orthodox Church is one Church. The boundaries between us are theoretical. So, the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia is a feast for the entire Orthodox world’. Patriarch Kirill pointed to close relations existing between the Churches of Russia and Cyprus and recalled his visit to Cyprus in 2012.
Archbishop Chrisostomos, on his part, thanked Patriarch Kirill for the invitation to take part in the festivities and shared his memories of his visit on the occasion of the Millennium of the Baptism of Russia in 1988 as member of the Church of Cyprus delegation. ‘Today we have an opportunity to see that for the years which have passed since that time, serious changes have taken place in the life of the Russian Orthodox Church. We wholeheartedly wish that the Russian Church may grow from strength to strength for the good of her flock. We have come to bear witness to the unity inherent in the One Holy Apostolic Church’, he said.
‘I cannot avoid mentioning the support the Russian state has rendered to our island for many years’, he continued, ‘We thank you for the contribution you have made to the settlement of our Cyprus problem and express our confidence that you will always support us in our search for a just solution of this problem. We wish abundant blessings from the Lord to you personally as Primate of the Russian Church and to all the Russian people’.
The two primates discussed the Russia-Cyprus relations, the actions to be taken by the Churches in the difficult time of economic crisis, the aid to the needy, and the situation of Orthodoxy in such regions as the Balkans and the Middle East. They expressed deep concern for the suffering and threats to the life of Orthodox Christians in Kosovo and Syria. Archbishop Chrisostomos noted the especially important role Russia plays in the process of the Middle East settlement, underlining that Christians in the region pinned great hopes on Russia and the Russian Orthodox Church.
In a spirit of fraternal understanding, they also discussed issues of general Orthodox significance related to the preparations for the Pan-Orthodox Council and to the consolidation of unity of holy Orthodoxy, as well as methods of inter-confessional dialogue, re-affirming their unanimous approach to this matter.
After the talks, Patriarch Kirill presented Archbishop Chrisostomos and members of his delegation with awards of the Russian Orthodox Church in acknowledgment of their work for the good of the holy Church and on the occasion of the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia. Archbishop Chrisostomos was awarded the Order of Glory and Honour, 1st degree, Metropolitan George of Pathos with the Order of St. Alexis of Moscow, 2d degree, Bishop Christopher of Karpatia with the Order of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles, 2nd degree, and Deacons Cyprian Kindourisou and Christos Koukliotis with the same order, 3d degree.
DECR Communication Service
- 01.08.2013 15:35His Beatitude Patriarch Theodore of Alexandria: I have given my heart to Russia
- 31.07.2013 19:34Metropolitan Filaret of Minsk and Slutsk meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 30.07.2013 16:36Patriarch Kirill: By celebrating the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ we close the link of times
- 29.07.2013 23:25His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and Primates of Local Orthodox Churches meet with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko
- 29.07.2013 19:24Primates of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate the Liturgy in Minsk Old Town
- 29.07.2013 18:29Patriarch Kirill’s homily after Divine Liturgy in Old City in Minsk
- 28.07.2013 19:20Homily delivered by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia in Kiev Laura of the Caves on the commemoration day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 28.07.2013 19:13The Day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles marked by Divine Liturgy celebrated by heads and hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 22:28Ukrainian President awards Primates of Local Orthodox Churches
- 27.07.2013 16:48Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church meets for regular session at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 16:27Thanksgiving celebrated on St. Vladimir’s Hill in Kiev
- 26.07.2013 22:52His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Orthodox Church of Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 26.07.2013 22:14His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Albanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 17:17His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 16:54Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of the Romanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 00:49Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria
- 25.07.2013 23:40President Putin meets with heads and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches
- 25.07.2013 20:02Statement by Heads and Representatives of the Local Orthodox Churches Assembled for the Celebration of the 1025th Anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 25.07.2013 17:12Patriarch Kirill meets with the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria
- 24.07.2013 23:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Ecumenical Patriarchate
- 24.07.2013 17:21Primates and Hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate Liturgy at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour on the commemoration day of St Olga Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 24.07.2013 04:04Meeting between Primates of Russian and Georgian Orthodox Churches
- 24.07.2013 03:25Patriarch Kirill’s meeting with Archbishop Chrisostomos of Cyprus
- 24.07.2013 02:43Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 23.07.2013 10:08His Holiness Patriarch Kirill greets delegation of Orthodox Church of Antioch
- 22.07.2013 23:29His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 21:48Delegation of Orthodox Church of Jerusalem arrives in Moscow
- 22.07.2013 17:43DECR chairman meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 12:55Delegation of the Church of Antioch arrives for the celebrations of 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 22.07.2013 12:22His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon blesses memorial plaque honouring the 220th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Mission in America
- 21.07.2013 16:11Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow