His Holiness Patriarch Kirill greets delegation of Orthodox Church of Antioch
On 22 July 2013, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia met with the delegation of the Patriarchate of Antioch, which arrived for the celebration of the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia. The meeting took place at the Patriarchal residence in St Daniel’s Monastery.
The delegation of the Orthodox Church of Antioch is led by Metropolitan Antonio of Mexico, Venezuela, Central America and the Caribbean and includes Bishop Constantine of Chrysopolis and Archbishop Nifon of Philippopolis, representative of the Patriarch of Great Antioch and All the East to the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia.
Representing the Russian Orthodox Church at the meeting were Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations; Bishop Panteleimon of Orekhovo-Zuyevo, chairman of the Synodal Department for Church Charity and Social Ministry; and hieromonk Stefan (Igumnov), DECR staff member.
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill greeted the guests, saying:
“We are very glad that you have come to the Russian capital and will celebrate with us the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia to be held in Moscow, Kiev and Minsk. This event is very important for our Church. As you know, the revival of the Russian Orthodoxy began twenty-five years ago, when we celebrated the Millenium of the Baptism of Russia. Much has changed over these twenty-five years: tens of thousand churches and monasteries have been restored, dozens of Orthodox seminaries have opened, Orthodox universities and mass media have come into being. The main thing, however, is that our flock has changed: we see more middle-aged and young people in our churches. Orthodox traditions and customs are becoming a part of the life of the Russians, Ukrainians, Byelorussians and other children of the Russian Orthodox Church. That is why our celebration will be focused on giving thanks to God. We hope to celebrate this thanksgiving together with all Orthodox Churches, asking God to bless the historical pilgrimage of our Church to the glory of His name and for the spiritual benefit of our nations.”
The Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church noted that he had known Metropolitan Antonio of Mexico, Venezuela, Central America and the Caribbean for many years. “You have been our guest many times and you knew Patriarchs Alexy I, Pimen and Alexy II, as well as my spiritual counselor – Metropolitan Nikodim. You are an old friend of the Russian Orthodox Church and now you are an oldest and most respected bishop of the Patriarchate of Antioch,” His Holiness Patriarch Kirill said. “You are a living manifestation of your Church’s tradition and wisdom, and – most important – you keep historical memory and good relations between our Churches as its essential part.”
Metropolitan Antonio of Mexico, Venezuela, Central America and the Caribbean said that the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia is the celebration for Russia and at the same time the revival of the eastern Orthodoxy. “We owe much to the Russian Orthodox Church and Russian people. In these hard years, we thank the Russian Orthodox Church and the Russian government for their position and attitude to us,” the head of the Antiochian delegation said.
Discussed at the meeting were the situation of Christians in Syria, ministry of the Patriarchate of Antioch for the benefit of the destitute and refugees who have suffered during the armed conflict, the assistance the Russian Orthodox Church renders to them, as well as inter-Orthodox and inter-Christian relations.
After the meeting, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia presented the members of the delegation of the Patriarchate of Antioch with awards of the Russian Orthodox Church in consideration of their service for the benefit of the Holy Church and on the occasion of the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia. Metropolitan Antonio, Archbishop Nifon and Bishop Constantine were awarded the Order of St Vladimir, Equal-to-the-Apostles (2nd class).
- 01.08.2013 15:35His Beatitude Patriarch Theodore of Alexandria: I have given my heart to Russia
- 31.07.2013 19:34Metropolitan Filaret of Minsk and Slutsk meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 30.07.2013 16:36Patriarch Kirill: By celebrating the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ we close the link of times
- 29.07.2013 23:25His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and Primates of Local Orthodox Churches meet with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko
- 29.07.2013 19:24Primates of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate the Liturgy in Minsk Old Town
- 29.07.2013 18:29Patriarch Kirill’s homily after Divine Liturgy in Old City in Minsk
- 28.07.2013 19:20Homily delivered by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia in Kiev Laura of the Caves on the commemoration day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 28.07.2013 19:13The Day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles marked by Divine Liturgy celebrated by heads and hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 22:28Ukrainian President awards Primates of Local Orthodox Churches
- 27.07.2013 16:48Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church meets for regular session at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 16:27Thanksgiving celebrated on St. Vladimir’s Hill in Kiev
- 26.07.2013 22:52His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Orthodox Church of Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 26.07.2013 22:14His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Albanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 17:17His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 16:54Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of the Romanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 00:49Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria
- 25.07.2013 23:40President Putin meets with heads and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches
- 25.07.2013 20:02Statement by Heads and Representatives of the Local Orthodox Churches Assembled for the Celebration of the 1025th Anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 25.07.2013 17:12Patriarch Kirill meets with the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria
- 24.07.2013 23:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Ecumenical Patriarchate
- 24.07.2013 17:21Primates and Hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate Liturgy at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour on the commemoration day of St Olga Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 24.07.2013 04:04Meeting between Primates of Russian and Georgian Orthodox Churches
- 24.07.2013 03:25Patriarch Kirill’s meeting with Archbishop Chrisostomos of Cyprus
- 24.07.2013 02:43Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 23.07.2013 10:08His Holiness Patriarch Kirill greets delegation of Orthodox Church of Antioch
- 22.07.2013 23:29His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 21:48Delegation of Orthodox Church of Jerusalem arrives in Moscow
- 22.07.2013 17:43DECR chairman meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 12:55Delegation of the Church of Antioch arrives for the celebrations of 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 22.07.2013 12:22His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon blesses memorial plaque honouring the 220th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Mission in America
- 21.07.2013 16:11Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow