Patriarch Kirill completes his visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece
His Holiness Kirill, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia was on a visit to Greece from June1-7, 2013, at the invitation of His Beatitude Hieronymus, Archbishop of Athens and All Greece, and the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church of Greece.
His Holiness was accompanied by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate’s department for external church relations, Bishop Sergiy of Solnechnogorsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate’s administrative secretariat, V. Legoida, head of the synodal information department, Archpriest Nikolay Balashov, DECR vice-chairman, Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk, DECR secretary for inter-Orthodox relations, Protodeacon Vladimir Nazarkin, assistant to the DECR chairman, and M. Kuksov, head of the Patriarchal personal secretariat.
Among the Patriarchal party were also Archpriest Andrey Milkin, head of the Patriarchal protocol service, Deacon Alexander Volkov, head of the Patriarchal press service, Rev. Iliya Kosykh, acting secretary of the DECR communication service, and A. Chukyakov, a DECR staff member.
Patriarch Kirill was welcomed at the airport in Athens by His Beatitude Archbishop Hieronymus. From the airport the Primates of the Russian and Greek Churches proceeded to the church of the Holy Martyr Dionysius the Areopagite in Kolonaki. In the crowded church, Patriarch Kirill celebrated a thanksgiving.
Later that day, the Primates of the two Churches had a talk at the Archbishop’s Palace in Athens.
On June 2, Patriarch Kirill and Archbishop Hieronymus celebrated the Divine Liturgy at the church of the Holy Protomartyr and Healer Panteleimon in Athens. Later that day, a reception was given in honour of the high guest by the Synod of the Orthodox Church of Greece. Then the two Primates visited the Russian church of the Holy Trinity and the cathedral church of Our Lady ‘Panagia Soumela’ in Athens. Patriarch Kirill presented the Russian-speaking community of this church with the honorable relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov.
During his second day in Athens, Patriarch Kirill visited the Apostoli (Mission) Charity of the Archdiocese of Athens. On June 3, he also visited the residence of the Holy Synod of the Greek Orthodox Church and celebrated a thanksgiving at the Synodal Petraki Monastery. He took part in a solemn meeting of the Holy Synod and addressed it. During the session, His Holiness was presented with the highest award of the Orthodox Church of Greece – the Great Cross of St. Paul. Members of the Patriarchal delegation were also presented with high church awards. Then Patriarch Kirill had a talk with Archbishop Hieronymus and members of the Greek Church’s Holy Synod.
Later that day, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill met with Greece’s President K. Papoulias and Prime Minister. A. Samaras.
From Athens Patriarch Kirill went to Thessaloniki. He celebrated a thanksgiving at St. Gregory Palamas’s Cathedral there and visited the Metropolitanate of Thessaloniki. In the evening, Metropolitan Anthimos of Thessaloniki gave a reception in honour of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia.
The next day, after venerating shrines in Thessaloniki, Patriarch Kirill went by water to Holy Mount Athos. Upon his arrival there, he went to Karyes, the administrative center of Mount Athos, for a thanksgiving in the Cathedral of Protaton. He also met with the members of the Epistasia of Holy Mount Athos.
In the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon, Patriarch Kirill venerated its shrines and inspected the monastery buildings restored after a fire. He also said a prayer for the dead brethren of the monastery and visited the place where St. Silouan of Athos performed his feats.
On June 5, Patriarch Kirill celebrated the liturgy at the Monastery of St. Panteleimon.
During his pilgrimage to Athos, Patriarch Kirill visited the Great Laura of St. Athanasius of Athos, monasteries Iveron and Pantocrator, the hermitage of the Prophet Elijah founded by St. Paisius Velichkovsky, monasteries Zograf, Hilandar, Vatopedi, Xilourgou Skete, and the Hermitage of St. Andrew, and inspected the restoration work at the Old Roussik monastery.
On June 7, His Holiness celebrated the Divine Liturgy at the church of the Protecting Veil in St. Panteleimon’s Monastery. After the service, he had a talk with mass media reporters.
In conclusion of his pilgrimage to Mount Athos, His Holiness Kirill addressed himself to the brethren of the St. Panteleimon Monastery with an instruction and had a talk with the abbot, Archimandrite Jeremiah.
At the town of Veria, Patriarch Kirill opened a monument to St. Paul. In the Panagia monastery, he blessed the bells for the church of St. Luke (Voino-Yasnetsky) under construction.
In conclusion of his visit, Patriarch Kirill shared impressions of his pilgrimage to Greece with journalists.
DECR Communication Service
- 07.06.2013 23:38Patriarch Kirill completes his visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece
- 07.06.2013 22:05Patriarch Kirill: spiritual factor is decisive in relations between the Russian and Greek nations
- 07.06.2013 05:12Patriarch Kirill makes thorough inspection of restoration work in Old Russic
- 07.06.2013 04:53Patriarch Kirill prays at St. Andrew Hermitage on Mount Athos
- 07.06.2013 02:36Patriarch Kirill visits Xilourgou hermitage
- 07.06.2013 00:38Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines at the Monastery of Vatopedi
- 06.06.2013 19:09Patriarch Kirill celebrates thanksgiving in Hilandar Monastery
- 06.06.2013 14:39Patriarch Kirill visits Zograf Monastery
- 06.06.2013 02:03His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Scete of Prophet Elijah founded by St. Paisius Velichkovsky on Mount Athos
- 06.06.2013 00:57Primate of the Russian Church celebrates prayer service at the Monastery of Pantocrator
- 06.06.2013 00:07His Holiness Patriarch Kirill venerates Panagia Portaitissa at Iveron Monastery
- 05.06.2013 15:29His Holiness celebrates at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 05.06.2013 09:32Patriarch Kirill says prayer for the dead at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 05.06.2013 00:08Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines of the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 04.06.2013 23:46Patriarch Kirill meets with members of the Mount Athos Epistasia
- 04.06.2013 14:21Patriarch Kirill arrives on Mount Athos
- 04.06.2013 05:42His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Metropolis of Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 05:26Primate of the Russian Church celebrates prayer service at the Cathedral of St. Gregory Palamas in Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 05:02Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church arrives in Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 04:50His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with the Greek Prime Minister, Antonis Samaras
- 04.06.2013 04:47President of Greece Karolos Papoulias awards Patriarch Kirill with the Order of Honour
- 03.06.2013 18:52Highest awards of the Orthodox Church of Greece are conferred upon members of the Russian Orthodox Church delegation
- 03.06.2013 18:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill attends grand meeting of the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church of Greece
- 03.06.2013 02:45Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia visit “Apostoli” Charity
- 02.06.2013 23:48His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Russian church of the Holy Trinity in Athens
- 02.06.2013 18:30Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia celebrate Divine Liturgy at the Church of St. Panteleimon in Athens
- 02.06.2013 02:12Primates of the Orthodox Church of Greece and Russia meet in Athens
- 01.06.2013 21:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill begins official visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece