Patriarch Kirill visits Xilourgou hermitage
On June 6, during his stay on Holy Mount Athos, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia visited the Xilourgou hermitage dedicated to the Dormition of Our Lady.
The head of the hermitage, Hieromonk Simon, addressed the Primate of the Russian Church from the ambo of the Cathedral of the Dormition. He said his hermitage was popularly called ‘Theotokos’ on Mount Athos. ‘We see the Holy Mount as one monastery which has one Mother Superior. She has a cell in her monastery, which is called ‘the Mother of God’. This excellent cell is the oldest Russian monastic abode in the world’.
‘It is the oldest Russian monastery in the world, indeed’, Patriarch Kirill stressed. ‘From this the Russian Athos generated. Monks came to settle here in 916, and in three days’ time we will celebrated the centenary of the Russian presence on Holy Mount Athos. The task therefore is to restore Xilourgou along with the Russian St. Panteleimon and the Old Russic Monasteries’, so that the centenary of the Russian monasticism on Mount Athos could be celebrated in a beautiful place’, he said.
His Holiness presented the hermitage with a copy of the liturgical Gospel.
Patriarch Kirill saw the places which need restoration including the monastic cells, the church of St. John of Rila and the ossuary. In the two-storey building of monastic cells, he visited the church of Ss Cyril and Methodius and sang together with his party the troparion to the holy brothers of Thessaloniki.
DECR Communication Service
- 07.06.2013 23:38Patriarch Kirill completes his visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece
- 07.06.2013 22:05Patriarch Kirill: spiritual factor is decisive in relations between the Russian and Greek nations
- 07.06.2013 05:12Patriarch Kirill makes thorough inspection of restoration work in Old Russic
- 07.06.2013 04:53Patriarch Kirill prays at St. Andrew Hermitage on Mount Athos
- 07.06.2013 02:36Patriarch Kirill visits Xilourgou hermitage
- 07.06.2013 00:38Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines at the Monastery of Vatopedi
- 06.06.2013 19:09Patriarch Kirill celebrates thanksgiving in Hilandar Monastery
- 06.06.2013 14:39Patriarch Kirill visits Zograf Monastery
- 06.06.2013 02:03His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Scete of Prophet Elijah founded by St. Paisius Velichkovsky on Mount Athos
- 06.06.2013 00:57Primate of the Russian Church celebrates prayer service at the Monastery of Pantocrator
- 06.06.2013 00:07His Holiness Patriarch Kirill venerates Panagia Portaitissa at Iveron Monastery
- 05.06.2013 15:29His Holiness celebrates at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 05.06.2013 09:32Patriarch Kirill says prayer for the dead at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 05.06.2013 00:08Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines of the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 04.06.2013 23:46Patriarch Kirill meets with members of the Mount Athos Epistasia
- 04.06.2013 14:21Patriarch Kirill arrives on Mount Athos
- 04.06.2013 05:42His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Metropolis of Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 05:26Primate of the Russian Church celebrates prayer service at the Cathedral of St. Gregory Palamas in Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 05:02Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church arrives in Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 04:50His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with the Greek Prime Minister, Antonis Samaras
- 04.06.2013 04:47President of Greece Karolos Papoulias awards Patriarch Kirill with the Order of Honour
- 03.06.2013 18:52Highest awards of the Orthodox Church of Greece are conferred upon members of the Russian Orthodox Church delegation
- 03.06.2013 18:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill attends grand meeting of the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church of Greece
- 03.06.2013 02:45Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia visit “Apostoli” Charity
- 02.06.2013 23:48His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Russian church of the Holy Trinity in Athens
- 02.06.2013 18:30Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia celebrate Divine Liturgy at the Church of St. Panteleimon in Athens
- 02.06.2013 02:12Primates of the Orthodox Church of Greece and Russia meet in Athens
- 01.06.2013 21:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill begins official visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece