His Holiness Patriarch Kirill venerates Panagia Portaitissa at Iveron Monastery
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visited the Iveron Monastery, celebrated a prayer service and venerated the Iveron icon of the Mother of God, also called Panagia Portaitissa (Gate-keeper) at the chapel.
Hegumen of the monastery, archimandrite Nathanael welcomed His Holiness and said that the exact copy of the wonderworking icon could be found in central Moscow. “Panagia Portaitissa has become the heart of Holy Rus,’ while we have become brothers, as we have her as our common mother and intercessor. While in Moscow, we feel at home, and when we receive pilgrims here, and first of all You, Your Holiness, we feel that we receive our brothers at home?” he added.
The Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church addressed the hegumen and the brethren. He spoke at length about the history of the icon and also about the return of its first copy to the Church a year ago by Russian President Vladimir Putin’s personal instruction after the Patriarch’s request. The icon is now at its original place, at the Novodevichy Convent in Moscow. The return was a great event: many people, including myself and the President, met the icon in solemn procession of the cross, and now thousands of believers can venerate the miraculous copy of the Iberian icon of the Mother of God.
Hegumen Nathanael presented a copy of Panagia Portaitissa icon and a copy of a silver reliquary kept in the monastery to His Holiness. Patriarch Kirill donated an icon of St. John the Theologian to the monastery and left an entry in the distinguished visitors’ book.
- 07.06.2013 23:38Patriarch Kirill completes his visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece
- 07.06.2013 22:05Patriarch Kirill: spiritual factor is decisive in relations between the Russian and Greek nations
- 07.06.2013 05:12Patriarch Kirill makes thorough inspection of restoration work in Old Russic
- 07.06.2013 04:53Patriarch Kirill prays at St. Andrew Hermitage on Mount Athos
- 07.06.2013 02:36Patriarch Kirill visits Xilourgou hermitage
- 07.06.2013 00:38Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines at the Monastery of Vatopedi
- 06.06.2013 19:09Patriarch Kirill celebrates thanksgiving in Hilandar Monastery
- 06.06.2013 14:39Patriarch Kirill visits Zograf Monastery
- 06.06.2013 02:03His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Scete of Prophet Elijah founded by St. Paisius Velichkovsky on Mount Athos
- 06.06.2013 00:57Primate of the Russian Church celebrates prayer service at the Monastery of Pantocrator
- 06.06.2013 00:07His Holiness Patriarch Kirill venerates Panagia Portaitissa at Iveron Monastery
- 05.06.2013 15:29His Holiness celebrates at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 05.06.2013 09:32Patriarch Kirill says prayer for the dead at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 05.06.2013 00:08Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines of the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 04.06.2013 23:46Patriarch Kirill meets with members of the Mount Athos Epistasia
- 04.06.2013 14:21Patriarch Kirill arrives on Mount Athos
- 04.06.2013 05:42His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Metropolis of Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 05:26Primate of the Russian Church celebrates prayer service at the Cathedral of St. Gregory Palamas in Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 05:02Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church arrives in Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 04:50His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with the Greek Prime Minister, Antonis Samaras
- 04.06.2013 04:47President of Greece Karolos Papoulias awards Patriarch Kirill with the Order of Honour
- 03.06.2013 18:52Highest awards of the Orthodox Church of Greece are conferred upon members of the Russian Orthodox Church delegation
- 03.06.2013 18:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill attends grand meeting of the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church of Greece
- 03.06.2013 02:45Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia visit “Apostoli” Charity
- 02.06.2013 23:48His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Russian church of the Holy Trinity in Athens
- 02.06.2013 18:30Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia celebrate Divine Liturgy at the Church of St. Panteleimon in Athens
- 02.06.2013 02:12Primates of the Orthodox Church of Greece and Russia meet in Athens
- 01.06.2013 21:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill begins official visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece