Primates of the Orthodox Church of Greece and Russia meet in Athens
In the evening of 1 June 2013, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia met with His Beatitude Archbishop Hieronymos II of Athens and All Greece at the archbishop’s palace.
His Beatitude Hieronymos told his guest about the historical building in which sessions of the Holy Synod take place.
The Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church mentioned that he was here last time when meeting with Archbishop Christodoulos of the blessed memory and that he visited the archbishop’s palace at the time of Archbishop Seraphim and Archbishop Hieronymos I. “I have many recollections of this place as I accompanied Patriarch Pimen and Patriarch Alexy II,” he added.
Patriarch Kirill wished Archbishop Hieronymos God’s grace and help in guiding the Orthodox Church of Greece at this difficult time.
“They say that there are no easy times. This is true, indeed, as the Church on the earth is a militant church. She knows no tranquillity as she fights for the salvation of human souls, and this fight demands great efforts. We believe that under your guidance and with active involvement of the Holy Synod the Orthodox Church of Greece will cope with the problems you are facing today. I would like to tell you that the Russian Orthodox Church is always with you in prayers and deliberations,” His Holiness said.
Later, the Primates met with the members of the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church of Greece. Archbishop Hieronymos greeted His Holiness on their behalf.
Patriarch Kirill noted that both Churches are interested in each other’s opinion on many different problems and added: “These fraternal and mutually enriching contacts are explained by the fact that both our Churches as churches of the majority in our countries have played a decisive role in preserving our nations and in shaping their statehood. Historically, they bear a great responsibility, hence our common goals.”
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill left the following entry in the distinguished visitors’ book: “We have begun our peace visit to the fraternal people of Greece with a cordial brotherly talk at the centre of the Orthodox Church of Greece. I wholeheartedly wish peace and prosperity to His Beatitude Archbishop Hieronymos of Athens, members of the Holy Synod and the plenitude of the Church of Greece. We will support each other in bearing our pastoral responsibility for spiritual life of our nations by common work and prayers.”
His Holiness read these words aloud and mentioned that he was ordained on June 1 forty-four years ago. Archbishop Hieronymos and all those present exclaimed Axios!
- 07.06.2013 23:38Patriarch Kirill completes his visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece
- 07.06.2013 22:05Patriarch Kirill: spiritual factor is decisive in relations between the Russian and Greek nations
- 07.06.2013 05:12Patriarch Kirill makes thorough inspection of restoration work in Old Russic
- 07.06.2013 04:53Patriarch Kirill prays at St. Andrew Hermitage on Mount Athos
- 07.06.2013 02:36Patriarch Kirill visits Xilourgou hermitage
- 07.06.2013 00:38Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines at the Monastery of Vatopedi
- 06.06.2013 19:09Patriarch Kirill celebrates thanksgiving in Hilandar Monastery
- 06.06.2013 14:39Patriarch Kirill visits Zograf Monastery
- 06.06.2013 02:03His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Scete of Prophet Elijah founded by St. Paisius Velichkovsky on Mount Athos
- 06.06.2013 00:57Primate of the Russian Church celebrates prayer service at the Monastery of Pantocrator
- 06.06.2013 00:07His Holiness Patriarch Kirill venerates Panagia Portaitissa at Iveron Monastery
- 05.06.2013 15:29His Holiness celebrates at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 05.06.2013 09:32Patriarch Kirill says prayer for the dead at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 05.06.2013 00:08Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines of the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 04.06.2013 23:46Patriarch Kirill meets with members of the Mount Athos Epistasia
- 04.06.2013 14:21Patriarch Kirill arrives on Mount Athos
- 04.06.2013 05:42His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Metropolis of Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 05:26Primate of the Russian Church celebrates prayer service at the Cathedral of St. Gregory Palamas in Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 05:02Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church arrives in Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 04:50His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with the Greek Prime Minister, Antonis Samaras
- 04.06.2013 04:47President of Greece Karolos Papoulias awards Patriarch Kirill with the Order of Honour
- 03.06.2013 18:52Highest awards of the Orthodox Church of Greece are conferred upon members of the Russian Orthodox Church delegation
- 03.06.2013 18:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill attends grand meeting of the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church of Greece
- 03.06.2013 02:45Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia visit “Apostoli” Charity
- 02.06.2013 23:48His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Russian church of the Holy Trinity in Athens
- 02.06.2013 18:30Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia celebrate Divine Liturgy at the Church of St. Panteleimon in Athens
- 02.06.2013 02:12Primates of the Orthodox Church of Greece and Russia meet in Athens
- 01.06.2013 21:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill begins official visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece