Polish Orthodox Church states that there must be no haste with regard to the autocephaly of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in order not to deepen the schism
The Polish Orthodox Church confirmed it position expressed at the Bishops’ Council on 9 May 2018.
Consent of all the Local Churches is needed in order to grant the autocephaly to the Ukrainian Church, and a hasty decision can deepen the schism, the Polish Orthodox Church has warned. This position was expressed in a letter sent by the secretary of the Chancellery of the Polish Orthodox Church, Fr. Jerzy Dororzkiewicz, to RBK in reply to a request to present his opinion on the issue of autocephaly of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, the website of the Information and Education Department of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church reports.
Referring to the minutes of the sessions of the Bishops’ Council of the Polish Orthodox Church of 9 May 2018, Fr. Jerzy Dororzkiewicz emphasizes that “autocephaly is granted by the Mother Church after reaching agreement with the Primates of all the Local Churches,” and that hasty actions can deepen the schism in Ukraine. “The current situation in Ukraine is such that all the Local Orthodox Churches must take care of it,” the letter reads.
The representative of the Polish Church also notes that “there are several schismatic churches in Ukraine which must show repentance and return to the canons of the Orthodox Church. Only then the discussion on the issue of granting autocephaly will begin.”
DECR Communication Service
- 18.09.2018 23:15Metropolitan Anthony of Borispol and Brovary: Sin must not be legitimized for the sake of some geopolitical or national issues
- 18.09.2018 14:30Statement by Metropolitan Seraphim of Kythira and Antikythera (Greek Orthodox Church) on uncanonical actions of Patriarch of Constantinople in Ukraine
- 14.09.2018 22:25Metropolitan Hilarion: The decision to suspend the liturgical mention of the Patriarch of Constantinople does not imply breaking off the Eucharistic communion
- 14.09.2018 22:00Holy Synod calls upon Primates of Local Orthodox Churches to initiate pan-Orthodox discussion on the church situation in Ukraine
- 14.09.2018 19:57Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev: Our Church has all attributes of independence
- 14.09.2018 14:51His Holiness Patriarch Kirill chairs extraordinary session of the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 14.09.2018 10:35Polish Orthodox Church states that there must be no haste with regard to the autocephaly of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in order not to deepen the schism
- 12.09.2018 15:42Statement of the Synod of the Belarusian Orthodox Church (Belarusian Exarchate of the Moscow Patriarchate) issued on 11 September 2018
- 10.09.2018 14:52Statement by the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Church Abroad on the appointment of exarchs of the Constantinople Patriarchate to Kiev
- 08.09.2018 21:40Metropolitan Hilarion: Patriarch Bartholomew will bear personal responsibility before the judgement of God and the judgement of history
- 08.09.2018 21:33Metropolitan Hilarion: Current situation creates a threat of schism for Universal Orthodoxy
- 08.09.2018 14:15Russian Orthodox Church Holy Synod Statement as of September 8, 2018