Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church adopts its final documents
On 2 December 2017, on the concluding day of its work, the Sacred Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church adopted its resolutions and the message. The draft documents were presented to the participants in the Council by Metropolitan Pavel of Minsk and Zaslavl, Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus.
To conclude the session, His Beatitude Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine addressed His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, saying, “Your Holiness, on behalf of all the participants in the Sacred Bishops’ Council I express to you our profound gratitude for your work as its chairman and our brother in Christ… I believe that the decisions taken by the Council with the best of intentions will bring forth good fruit for the faithful of our Church, for all those who want to attain salvation and the eternal life.”
To commemorate the centenary of the restoration of Patriarchate in the Russian Orthodox Church, His Beatitude Metropolitan Onufry, on behalf of all the archpastors who took part in the Council, presented His Holiness Patriarch Kirill with a cross and two panagias. “These are replicas of the cross and the panagias that were once laid upon your predecessor, His Holiness Patriarch Tikhon, glorified among the saints,” Metropolitan Onufry said.
The Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church expressed his gratitude to the Presidium and all the members of the Bishops’ Council, saying, “I would like to thank by name those who presented the reports: His Beatitude Metropolitan Onufry, Metropolitan Juvenaly of Krutitsy and Kolomna, Metropolitan Varsonofy of St. Petersburg and Ladoga, Metropolitan Pavel of Minsk and Zaslavl, chairman of the Drafting Commission, and his team, all the members of the drafting group. They promptly, in rather difficult circumstances, for there is always little time in such cases, prepared the texts that formed the basis for our decisions. I would like to thank Metropolitan Mark of Ryazan and Mikhailov, Metropolitan Georgy of Nizhny Novgorod and Arzamas, Archbishop Mark of Berlin and Germany, Bishop Pankraty of Troitsk, and Bishop Tikhon of Yegorievsk. We are also grateful to all those who took part in the organization of the Bishops’ Council – members of the Organizing Committee, consultants, as well as those who provided environment for our work, who took the minutes of the meetings and gave media coverage. I thank all of you, dear Vladykas, especially those who presented the reports, for our joint fruitful work. May God help us so that our decisions, which we took for the glory of God and for the strengthening of the unity of our Church, be implemented, so that our ministry might truly leave its mark in the life of the peoples, attracting to Christ those who are still on their way and strengthening those who are good and faithful children of our Church.”
That same day, a grand meeting of the Council will be held. Among those taking part in it will be the Primates and delegations of the Local Orthodox Churches.
During its work, the Sacred Bishops’ Council discussed and adopted the Provision for Monasteries and Monastics, the resolutions ‘On the Church-Wide Glorification of a Number of Locally Venerated Saints,’ ‘On the Introduction of Amendments and Additions to the Statute of the Russian Orthodox Church and Other Documents of the Russian Orthodox Church,’ ‘On the Election of Members of the General Ecclesiastical Court of the Russian Orthodox Church,’ ‘On the Appeal of the Former Metropolitan Philaret of Kiev and All Ukraine,’ as well as the document ‘On the Canonical Aspects of Church Marriage,’ the new edition of the Provision for Awards of the Russian Orthodox Church, and other resolutions and the Message to the Clergy, Monastics and All the Faithful of the Russian Orthodox Church.
In response to the greetings sent to the Council by the leaders of several states, the Bishops’ Council sent messages to the President of Russia Vladimir Putin, President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko, President of Moldova Igor Dodon, and President of Kazakhsatn Nursultan Nazarbayev.
On the first day of the Council’s work, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill delivered an address, in which he focused on various spheres of the life of the Russian Orthodox Church and presented the statistics, according to which the Russian Church has 303 dioceses, which is 10 more than in 2016 and 144 more than in 2009. Three metropolias were established in the inter-Council period. Now their total number is 60.
The episcopate of the Russian Orthodox Church consists of 377 hierarchs, which is 23 more than of 1 February 2016, and 177 more than in the beginning of 2009. There are 293 ruling archpastors now, which is 11 more than in the beginning of 2016 and 144 more than in 2009. At present the Russian Orthodox Church has 39 414 clerics, including 34 774 presbyters and 4 640 deacons. For the past year, the number of clerics has increased by 521 people.
The Russian Orthodox Church has 36 878 churches and other buildings wherein the Divine Liturgy is celebrated, as well as 462 monasteries, which is 7 more than in the previous year, and 482 convents, which is 11 more than in the previous year.
Over 900 parishes and monasteries of the Russian Orthodox Church, including parishes of the Russian Church Abroad, carry out their activities in the far-abroad countries.
Bishops’ Council Information Service
- 02.12.2017 23:58Final session of the Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church held with the participation of Primates and representatives of the Local Orthodox Churches
- 02.12.2017 16:50Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church adopts its final documents
- 02.12.2017 14:00Resolutions of the Holy Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church (29th November – 2nd December 2017)
- 02.12.2017 13:58Message by the Holy Episcopal Council to the Clergy, Monks and Nuns and All Faithful Children of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 01.12.2017 18:48Speech by His Holiness Patriarch Kirill at the Meeting of the President of Russia Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin with the Participants of the Episcopal Council of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 01.12.2017 18:38Speech by the President of Russia Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin before the Participants of the Episcopal Council of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 01.12.2017 16:30Briefing on situation around former Metropolitan Philaret of Kiev’s appeal
- 01.12.2017 12:38Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church begins its third day
- 30.11.2017 23:56Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk comments on spreading reports on the appeal of the former Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine
- 30.11.2017 23:50Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church completes its second day work
- 30.11.2017 23:45Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church adopts a Resolution ‘On the Appeal of the former Metropolitan Philaret of Kiev and All Ukraine’
- 30.11.2017 23:30Former Metropolitan Philaret of Kiev and All Ukraine: ‘I ask for your forgiveness in everything in which I sinned by word, deed and all my feelings’
- 30.11.2017 12:12Report by Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine to the Russian Orthodox Church Bishops’ Council (November 29-December 2, 2017)
- 30.11.2017 12:08His Beatitude Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine gives an address at the Bishops’ Council
- 30.11.2017 12:05Second day of the Bishops’ Council’s work
- 29.11.2017 22:30METROPOLITAN HILARION OF VOLOKOLAMSK SPEAKS AT THE SESSION OF THE EPISCOPAL COUNCIL OF THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH ON THE RESULTS OF STUDYING THE DOCUMENTS OF THE COUNCIL ON CRETE
- 29.11.2017 22:15HIS HOLINESS PATRIARCH KIRILL: “THE MEETING ON CUBA WAS AN IMPORTANT STEP ON THE WAY TO RESOLVING THE MORE RELEVANT ISSUES OF THE MODERN-DAY WORLD BY THE JOINT EFFORTS OF THE TWO LARGEST CHURCHES OF THE CHRISTIAN WORLD”
- 29.11.2017 21:28His Holiness notes positive dynamics in Church-state cooperation in Uzbekistan
- 29.11.2017 21:25His Holiness Patriarch Kirill expresses hope that the dialogue between the Church and Turkmenistan’s leadership will help resolve current difficulties
- 29.11.2017 21:22His Holiness specifies pressing problems of the Orthodox Church in Tajikistan
- 29.11.2017 21:20Primate of the Russian Church expresses satisfaction with the level of Church-state cooperation in Kyrgyzstan
- 29.11.2017 21:18His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: Republic of Kazakhstan has been giving an example of constructive Church-state relations for many years
- 29.11.2017 21:17His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: Dialogue of Azerbaijani authorities with Diocese of Baku offers ample opportunities for solving problems of the Orthodox
- 29.11.2017 21:16His Holiness Patriarch Kirill notes a high level dialogue between the Church and the state in Belarus
- 29.11.2017 21:14Positive tendencies in church-state relations in Moldova are noted in the report of His Holiness the Patriarch at the Bishops’ Council
- 29.11.2017 21:10His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: Peacemaking heroic deeds of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church show its true patriotism
- 29.11.2017 19:35HIS HOLINESS PATRIARCH KIRILL: “SIN OUGHT TO BE EXPOSED, BUT WE SHOULD NEVER HUMILIATE ANYONE”
- 29.11.2017 18:51HIS HOLINESS PATRIARCH KIRILL: “COMMUNICATING WITH THE MEDIA IS A CHANCE TO SPEAK ABOUT THE GOSPEL IN AN ACCESIBLE LANGUAGE ON ISSUES WHICH AFFECT TODAY’S PEOPLE”
- 29.11.2017 17:38His Holiness Patriarch Kirill told members of the Bishops’ Council about the preparation of the Catechesis of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 29.11.2017 17:34Primate of Russian Church calls to adopt more systematic approach in opposing sectarianism and neo-paganism
- 29.11.2017 17:27His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: What is sometimes forgotten in pursuit of different technologies is that mission is not a collection of methods, but practical work
- 29.11.2017 17:24His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: The main task of the Church is not to fill children’s mind with vast knowledge, but to help them enter into its life
- 29.11.2017 17:18Primate of Russian Orthodox Church: Theology should be regarded not only as a set of subjects taught at seminaries, but also as a serious science
- 29.11.2017 17:08Reorganization of the system of theological education remains priority for supreme church authorities
- 29.11.2017 17:06His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: While inviting young people to dialogue and using their language, the Church must not lose its integrity
- 29.11.2017 16:59Patriarch Kirill: For the youth it is important that Christianity is a religion of freedom, not a religion of bans
- 29.11.2017 14:33Patriarch Kirill: Signing the Act of Canonical Communion has given us joy over the unity of the faithful of the one Russian Orthodox Church
- 29.11.2017 14:32Patriarch Kirill announces statistical data on the life of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 29.11.2017 14:28Bishops’ Council given information on Patriarch ministry in inter-council period
- 29.11.2017 14:19Patriarch Kirill: Continued attempts are made to impose on the Church a life according to the rules of this world
- 29.11.2017 14:10THE FIRST HIERARCH OF THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH : THE MINISTRY OF THE BISHOP IS INEXTRIABLY LINKED TO THE ORTHODOX UNDERSTANDING OF CONCILIARITY
- 29.11.2017 14:07HIS HOLINESS PATRIARCH KIRILL: THE LOCAL COUNCIL OF 1917-1918 WAS TRULY AN EXTRAORDINARY PEHNOMENON IN THE HISTORY OF THE CHURCH
- 29.11.2017 14:04HIS HOLINESS PATRIARCH KIRILL: THE MAIN HERITAGE OF THE NEW MARTYRS IS THEIR LOVE OF CHRIST AND NEIGHBOUR, FOR WHOM THEY LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES
- 29.11.2017 14:01Opening of the Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 29.11.2017 13:56President of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev sends greetings to participants in Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 29.11.2017 13:55President of Moldova Igor Dodon sends greetings to participants in Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 29.11.2017 13:53President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko sends greetings to participants in the Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 29.11.2017 13:50President Putin’s message of greetings to the Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church