The meeting of the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church
May 27, 2017 – the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church met at the Monastery of the Protecting Veil in Kharkov. It was chaired by His Beatitude Onufriy, Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine, and was timed to the 25th anniversary of the Council of Kharkov. The meeting took place at the historic building in which the Council of Kharkov was held, as part of the church celebrations devoted to the jubilee.
The Synod adopted a Message to the Episcopate, Clergy, Monastics and Laity on the Occasion of the 25th Anniversary of the Council.
The Synod considered the anti-church legislative initiatives registered in the Ukrainian Supreme Rada, namely, Bills No. 4128 (‘On the Change in the Subordination of Religious Communities) and No. 4511 (‘On the Special Status of Religious Organizations Whose Centers Are Located in the State Recognized by the Ukrainian Supreme Rada as Aggressor State’). It was stated that the adoption of the bills ‘can lead to religious enmity, discrimination and violation of the freedom of conscience and faith’. The Synod expressed concern for possible negative consequences of the adoption of the bills and called upon the Supreme Rada not to adopt them and also thanked the episcopate, monastics and laity for their active civic stand expressed on May 18, 2017, during the common prayer at the Ukrainian Supreme Rada and in many cities and churches in Ukraine.
In connection with the mass delay in the registration of the statutes of Ukrainian Orthodox Church communities, the Synod ascertained ‘the interference of the Ukrainian Ministry of Culture in the work of regional state administrations with the aim to block the registration of the statutes of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church’s communities’. The Synod stressed the inadmissibility of such interference, expressed concern for it and called upon ‘representatives of state authorities to stop unlawful actions against the Ukrainian Orthodox Church’.
The Synod also made some administrative decisions for ordering the internal life of the dioceses and monasteries of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
DECR Communication Service
- 26.07.2017 19:52Meeting of the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church
- 20.06.2017 17:49His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem expresses support to Ukrainian Orthodox Church
- 06.06.2017 22:40Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem condemns actions aimed against canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church
- 30.05.2017 12:29The meeting of the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church
- 26.05.2017 22:00Patriarch Irenaeus of Serbia describes amendments proposed to Ukrainian law as discriminatory towards the faithful of the canonical Church
- 24.05.2017 07:52Primate of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria underscores the anti-church nature of bills Nos 4128 and 4511 to be considered by Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
- 23.05.2017 12:02His Beatitude Patriarch John X of Antioch condemns attempts to adopt at Ukraine’s Verkhovna Rada the bills directed against the Ukrainian Orthodox Church
- 19.05.2017 23:07Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus emphasizes anti-church nature of bills Nos. 4128 and 4511 that were to be considered by Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
- 19.05.2017 22:36Holy See expresses solidarity with Ukrainian Orthodox Church over the attempts to adopt anti-church laws in Ukraine
- 18.05.2017 17:45Primate of the Orthodox Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia hopes anti-church bills will be withdrawn from Supreme Rada agenda
- 18.05.2017 16:40His Beatitude Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine urges deputies of Verkhovna Rada to prevent the adoption of anti-church bills
- 17.05.2017 23:23Metropolitan Hilarion’s comments on Ukrainian Supreme Rada’s forthcoming consideration of anti-church bills
- 17.05.2017 20:46General Secretary of the World Council of Churches Olav Fykse Tveit sends letters to President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko and Chair of the Ukrainian Supreme Council Andrii Parubii
- 16.05.2017 21:12His Holiness Patriarch Kirill sends letters to heads of Normandy Four states, Primates of Local Orthodox Churches, Pope Francis, UN Secretary-General and WCC General Secretary concerning anti-church bills due to be adopted by Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
- 16.05.2017 14:59Ukrainian hierarchs and religious leaders comment on anti-church bills to be considered by Supreme Rada
- 16.05.2017 11:35Discriminatory laws prepared against the Ukrainian Orthodox Church – a report at the World Summit in Defense of Persecuted Christians