Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Romanian Orthodox Church
On November 22, 2016, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia met with a delegation of the Romanian Orthodox Church at the patriarchal residence in the St. Daniel Patriarchal Monastery.
The delegation, which included Metropolitan Nifon of Targoviste, Rev. Ionut Gubanu, Rev. Eugene Rogoti, participated in the celebrations held on the occasion of the 70th birthday of the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church.
Participating in the meeting from the Moscow Patriarchate were also Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, head of the Department for External Church Relations (DECR), Bishop Iriney of Orsk and Gaj; Archpriest Nikolay Balashov, DECR vice-chairman; Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk, DECR secretary for inter-Orthodox relations, and A. Champion, DECR staff member.
Welcoming Metropolitan Nifon, His Holiness said, ‘I am very glad to see Your Eminence as a participant in the celebrations held on the occasion of by round good date. We have met at various forums. You are an outstanding representative of the Romanian Patriarchate who is responsible or presenting its interests on the international level. The positive experience of our relations and cooperation in advocating Orthodox interests, including in the non-Orthodox environment, puts me in a very positive inner spirit when I have an occasion to talk with you. You have often come to Russia to meet with the Moscow Patriarchate representatives. In spite of the fact that there are some differences in our bilateral relations, the Churches have maintained fraternal contacts, which is very important’.
His Holiness stressed the importance of establishing relations between the two Churches’ monasteries. ‘In Romania, there is a very rich and strong monastic tradition’, he said, ‘You know that monasteries play a very considerable role in Russia. I believe cooperation and fellowship between our monastics could be a good form for maintaining our bilateral relations at a difficult time’.
Having expressed regret that His Beatitude Patriarch Daniel of Romania was unable to come to Moscow for the celebrations, Patriarch Kirill expressed hope that the Primate of the Romanian Church would be able to visit Moscow in the near future and the Primate of the Russian Church would come to Bucharest.
Having conveyed fraternal greetings and best wishes from Patriarch Daniel, Metropolitan Nifon informed Patriarch Kirill that His Beatitude, on his part, desired that the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church could visit Romania. He said that pan-Orthodox solidarity was a priority for the Romanian Patriarchate. He is convinced that differences can be overcome so that the Local Churches could show the unity of Orthodoxy to the whole world.
‘I would like to stress the respect’, he continued, ‘that we in the Romanian Church have for you because you can present Orthodoxy to people in a very special manner. It inspires us as an example of how Orthodoxy can be presented on the international level’.
Metropolitan Nifon also pointed to the importance of monastic relations between the two Churches and welcomed the participation of monks from Romania in the celebrations devoted to the millennium of the Russian monasticism on Mount Athos. ‘We have very much in common and have broadened out relations and deepened the roots of cooperation between our Churches in the last centuries. On this basis we can develop our relations in the future’, he said.
They also discussed the pan-Orthodox cooperation.
Patriarch Kirill handed over liturgical vestments, a crozier and a copy of his 8-volume Collected Works as a gift to Patriarch Daniel. He presented Metropolitan Nifon with a crozier and his books and Fathers Gubanu and Rogoti with commemorative crosses.
DECR Communications Service
- 25.11.2016 10:58German edition of Patriarch Kirill’s book ‘Freedom and Responsibility’ presented in Berlin
- 23.11.2016 10:31Reception in conclusion of celebration of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 23.11.2016 10:18Concert to mark the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 22.11.2016 21:02Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Bulgarian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:45Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Romanian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:03Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Cardinal Kurt Koch
- 22.11.2016 17:33His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians
- 22.11.2016 08:01Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 05:08Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Patriarchate of Antioch
- 22.11.2016 05:05His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Metropolitan Rastislav of the Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 22.11.2016 01:11Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania
- 22.11.2016 00:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Chrysostomos of Cyprus
- 21.11.2016 21:54Primates and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches attend grand meeting dedicated to the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill
- 21.11.2016 19:19His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Rus addressed the participants of the gathering in the Church Assembly Hall of the Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow
- 20.11.2016 21:42Reception devoted to Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday at the Church of Christ the Saviour
- 20.11.2016 18:46Solemn celebration on Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday in Church of Christ the Savior
- 20.11.2016 18:02His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s homily delivered at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour after the Divine Liturgy on 22nd Sunday after Pentecost
- 20.11.2016 17:22President Putin’s congratulations to Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 20.11.2016 17:06Message of greetings from members of Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 19.11.2016 23:58His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theodoros of Alexandria
- 19.11.2016 20:51Meeting of Primates of Russian and Polish Orthodox Churches
- 19.11.2016 18:34His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Primate of Georgian Orthodox Church
- 19.11.2016 16:34Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Irenaeus of Serbia
- 19.11.2016 15:16His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 19.11.2016 12:53Patriarch Kirill meets with representative of Patriarchate of Constantinople
- 18.11.2016 18:24Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 18.11.2016 08:46Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow