His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Chrysostomos of Cyprus
On 21 November 2016, at the Patriarchal residence in St Daniel’s Monastery, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia met with His Beatitude Archbishop Chrysostomos of Nova Justiniana and All Cyprus.
The Primate of the Orthodox Church of Cyprus who had arrived in Moscow to take part in the celebrations marking the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill was accompanied by Metroplitan Isaïas of Tamasos and Oreini, Bishop Nektarios of Arsinoë, and deacon Kyprianos Kunduris.
Representing the Russian Orthodox Church were also Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations; Bishop Simon of Shakhty and Millerovo; archpriest Nikolai Balashov, DECR vice-chairman; archpriest Igor Yakimchuk, DECR secretary for inter-Orthodox relations; and Rev. Anatoly Churyakov, DECR interpreter.
Greeting the guests, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill thanked them for taking part in the celebrations and noted that the Russian people felt particular affection for the people of Cyprus. “We share the Cypriots’ grief over the division of their homeland. We know that the Orthodox Church of Cyprus takes a principled stand on the settlement of the Cyprus problem, and we believe that any solution must, first of all, imply the restoration of justice. Over the time passed since the division, great changes have occurred in some cities where the Greeks used to live. Today there is almost no Greek population left there; churches and monasteries have been destroyed. We know what the ruined churches and monasteries mean – we had that dreadful experience. We are grieving together with the Cypriots over what happened in the past, and hope for the peaceful and just settlement of the Cyprus problem.”
As His Holiness emphasized, the Church of Cyprus historically plays a very important role in the life of the Cyprian people who have preserved their national identity thanks, to a large extent, to the Orthodox Church that continues to shepherd them today.
“I have warm recollections of my visit to Cyprus,” the Primate of the Russian Church said, “I saw how many young people attended the divine services, how many faithful came to pray to churches on Sundays. It is yet another sign of importance of the 0Orthodoxy for the Cyprian people.”
His Beatitude Archbishop Chrysostomos thanked His Holiness Patriarch Kirill for the invitation to the celebrations and expressed his appreciation to the Russian Orthodox Church for the ongoing support rendered to the Cyprian people and to the Republic of Cyprus. His Beatitude also thanked Patriarch Kirill for promoting the relationships between the two Churches.
As His Beatitude noted, thousands of the Russian people living in Cyprus make a considerable contribution to the economy of the country. Archbishop Chrysostomos told the participants in the meeting that some time ago he had decided to help his fellow-villagers. They wanted to build a new church since the old one, dating back to the 15th century, could not accommodate all the parishioners. As His Beatitude said, they managed to achieve their dream with the assistance of representatives of the Russian community.
Among the issues discussed at the meeting were the relationships between the peoples of Cyprus and Russia, as well as the interchurch and pan-Orthodox cooperation.
DECR Communication Service
- 25.11.2016 10:58German edition of Patriarch Kirill’s book ‘Freedom and Responsibility’ presented in Berlin
- 23.11.2016 10:31Reception in conclusion of celebration of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 23.11.2016 10:18Concert to mark the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 22.11.2016 21:02Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Bulgarian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:45Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Romanian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:03Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Cardinal Kurt Koch
- 22.11.2016 17:33His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians
- 22.11.2016 08:01Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 05:08Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Patriarchate of Antioch
- 22.11.2016 05:05His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Metropolitan Rastislav of the Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 22.11.2016 01:11Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania
- 22.11.2016 00:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Chrysostomos of Cyprus
- 21.11.2016 21:54Primates and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches attend grand meeting dedicated to the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill
- 21.11.2016 19:19His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Rus addressed the participants of the gathering in the Church Assembly Hall of the Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow
- 20.11.2016 21:42Reception devoted to Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday at the Church of Christ the Saviour
- 20.11.2016 18:46Solemn celebration on Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday in Church of Christ the Savior
- 20.11.2016 18:02His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s homily delivered at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour after the Divine Liturgy on 22nd Sunday after Pentecost
- 20.11.2016 17:22President Putin’s congratulations to Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 20.11.2016 17:06Message of greetings from members of Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 19.11.2016 23:58His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theodoros of Alexandria
- 19.11.2016 20:51Meeting of Primates of Russian and Polish Orthodox Churches
- 19.11.2016 18:34His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Primate of Georgian Orthodox Church
- 19.11.2016 16:34Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Irenaeus of Serbia
- 19.11.2016 15:16His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 19.11.2016 12:53Patriarch Kirill meets with representative of Patriarchate of Constantinople
- 18.11.2016 18:24Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 18.11.2016 08:46Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow