Patriarch Kirill’s discussion with Archbishop Justin Welby of Canterbury
On October 18, 2016, His Holiness Kirill, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, met with Archbishop Justin Welby of Canterbury at the Lambeth Palace in London.
Participating in the meeting from the Russian Orthodox Church were also Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations, Archbishop Yelisey of Sourozh, and Archimandrite Philaret (Bulekov), DECR vice-chairman. From the side of the Church of England, there was also Bishop Richard Chartres of London.
During the discussion on the bilateral relations between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Church of England, an agreement was reached on cooperation in the humanitarian sphere.
Patriarch Kirill drew Archbishop Justin Welby’s attention to the Russian Orthodox Church’s concern over the liberalization of the Church of England’s teaching on church order, particularly, the ordination of women as priests and bishops and on the family and morality. His Holiness Kirill expressed hope that the Church of England will oppose challenges of the modern world and seek to preserve the Gospel’s teaching.
The participants in the talk also pointed to the importance of joint efforts for protecting Christians in the Middle East.
Patriarch Kirill and Archbishop Welby stressed the significance of the role played by the Russian Orthodox Church and the Church of England in supporting and strengthening relations between the peoples of Russia and Great Britain.
In conclusion of the meeting the sides exchanges souvenirs.
In recognition of the work to strengthen bilateral relations between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Church of England, Patriarch Kirill awarded Bishop Richard Chartres of London a high decoration of the Russian Orthodox Church – the Order of St. Sergius of Radonezh, Degree II.
DECR Communication Service
Photos by the Patriarchal Press Service
- 19.10.2016 11:51His Holiness Patriarch Kirill completes his visit to Great Britain
- 19.10.2016 02:00In conclusion of his visit Primate of Russian Orthodox Church answered questions from Russian and foreign mass media reporters
- 18.10.2016 21:01Patriarch Kirill’s discussion with Archbishop Justin Welby of Canterbury
- 18.10.2016 17:01Patriarch Kirill meets with Queen Elizabeth II in London
- 18.10.2016 13:28Metropolitan Hilarion meets with Baroness Anelay
- 17.10.2016 17:58His Holiness Patriarch Kirill celebrates litiya at the grave of Metropolitan Anthony (Bloom)
- 17.10.2016 16:03Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Irenaeus of Serbia in London
- 17.10.2016 00:34Patriarch Kirill attends reception in honour of 300th anniversary of Russian Orthodoxy in Great Britain and Ireland
- 16.10.2016 23:07Patriarch Kirill’s address after the liturgy at the diocese of Sourozh’s newly consecrated Cathedral of the Dormition
- 16.10.2016 22:35Patriarch Kirill visits Royal Geographical Society
- 16.10.2016 01:36His Holiness Patriarch Kirill celebrates divine service in London at the Dormition Cathedral of the Russian Church Abroad
- 15.10.2016 21:46Patriarch Kirill prays in the building in London rented from 1813 to 1921 to serve as a Russian church
- 15.10.2016 16:42Patriarch Kirill begins his pastoral visit to Great Britain