Patriarch Kirill: At the present stage of drafting the catechesis, the priority is its church reception
In his report to the Bishops’ Council, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia spoke about the progress made in the work to draft the Catechesis of the Russian Orthodox Church.
The Synodal Biblical-Theological Commission was charged with having the Catechesis drafted by the time of the next Bishops’ Council. ‘As was reported by the chairman of the Commission, Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, the Commission has completed the draft. Enormous work has been carried out, involving leading theologians of our Church as authors, co-authors and reviewers. The text has been approved by the Commission at its plenary session’, the Patriarch said.
He informed the bishops that the Commission will continue its work on the auxiliary and reference aids, but at the present state of preparing the Catechesis, the priority task is its church reception.
In this connection, Patriarch Kirill proposed that the text of the Catechesis should be given for reading to the ROC Holy Synod permanent members, the First Hierarch of the Russian Church Outside Russia and all the heads of synodal departments. In addition, the text will be sent for comments to the leading theological schools: the Ss Cyril and Methodius Institute of Post-Graduate Studies, the St. Tikhon Orthodox University of the Humanities, the Russian Orthodox University as well as the theological seminaries which run MA courses. The Most Reverend Archpastors who wish to take part in the reviewing of the Catechesis could receive the text in the Synodal Biblical-Theological Commission by personal request.
The discussion on the Catechesis in this format should be completed by the beginning of September. Patriarch Kirill noted that, after all the responses are received, the Synodal Biblical-Theological Commission will thoroughly analyse them, introduce the necessary amendments and submit the ready draft to the Holy Synod. The decision concerning the further fate of the Catechesis text will be made by the Synod.
Information Service of the Bishops’ Council
DECR Communication Service
- 03.02.2016 12:50Bishops’ Council glorifies Archbishop Seraphim (Sobolev)
- 02.02.2016 17:31Patriarch Kirill: At the present stage of drafting the catechesis, the priority is its church reception
- 02.02.2016 16:34His Holiness Patriarch Kirill emphasizes the necessity to establish effective system of distant learning at seminaries
- 02.02.2016 12:45In course of preparations for Pan-Orthodox Council, most of Russian Orthodox Church’s proposals approved
- 02.02.2016 12:41His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: Unilateral recognition of schism in Ukraine will have catastrophic consequences for the unity of the Orthodox Church
- 02.02.2016 12:38Patriarch Kirill: Any unilateral actions in granting autocephaly should be excluded
- 02.02.2016 12:36The issue of Orthodox Diaspora to be considered at the Pan-Orthodox Council
- 02.02.2016 12:25Patriarch Kirill: The Pan-Orthodox Council’s document on Sacrament of Marriage called to respond to challenges threatening institution of family in modern world
- 02.02.2016 12:20His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: “The Mission of the Orthodox Church in Today’s World” is, I believe, the key document on the agenda of the Pan-Orthodox Council
- 02.02.2016 12:15Patriarch Kirill: There was no question of any union of the Orthodox Church with the non-Orthodox
- 02.02.2016 12:10A draft document of Pan-Orthodox Council affirms for the first time on pan-Orthodox scale the obligatory character of Nativity, Apostles’ and Dormition fasts
- 02.02.2016 12:00Patriarch Kirill: We do not call the forthcoming Pan-Orthodox Council ecumenical
- 02.02.2016 11:45His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: An attempt to expel Christianity from the Middle East is a tragedy of historic scale that affects the whole world
- 02.02.2016 11:35Patriarch Kirill calls upon the plenitude of the Russian Church to continue praying for peace in Ukraine
- 02.02.2016 11:20Heads of states in Moscow Patriarchate’s canonical territory greet the Bishops’ Council
- 02.02.2016 11:10The Sacred Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church opens in Moscow