Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of the Romanian Orthodox Church
July 26, 2013 – His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia had a talk with members of the delegation of the Romanian Orthodox Church who came for the celebrations marking the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’. The delegation included Metropolitan Joseph of Western and Southern Europe and Deacon Eugene Rogoti.
The meeting took place on the train going from Moscow to Kiev, where celebrations were to continue.
Participating in the meeting were also Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate’s department for external church relations, Archpriest Nikolay Balashov, DECR vice-chairman, Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk, DECR secretary for inter-Orthodox relations, and A. Khoshev, a DECR staff member.
Greeting the Romanian delegation, Patriarch Kirill noted that the celebrations marking the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ were of great importance for the whole Orthodox world. ‘Throughout history, Holy Rus’ immediately related to the Balkans, the Carpathian Mountains and the Danube lands. For this reason all these are in a sense the common Eastern Christian Orthodox world. We have common saints and have had common suffering and common joys’, he said.
Metropolitan Joseph conveyed to Patriarch Kirill a message of greetings from His Beatitude Patriarch Daniel of Romania. He also testified that ‘we are united by the common liturgical language and saints venerated both in the Russian and Romanian Churches’.
He conveyed the word of gratitude from Patriarch Daniel for the support the Moscow Patriarchate gave to the Romanian Orthodox Church in the case ‘The Good Pastor Trade Union versus Romania’ in which the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights recognized the right of the state to deny legal registration to anti-canonical structures within the canonical Church. Thus, the right of the Romanian Church was re-confirmed to order her internal life in accordance with canonical rules without interference of governmental bodies in behalf of anti-canonical groups.
The two patriarchs discussed various questions of the bilateral relations. They also considered a wide range of issues of common Orthodox significance and problems of inter-confessional cooperation and noted the similarity of the two Churches’ attitude to pressing problems of church life today.
In recognition of their work for the good of the Church and on the occasion of the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’, Patriarch Kirill awarded Metropolitan Joseph the Order of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles, 1st degree, and Deacon Eugene Rogoti the same order, 3s degree.
DECR Communication Service
- 01.08.2013 15:35His Beatitude Patriarch Theodore of Alexandria: I have given my heart to Russia
- 31.07.2013 19:34Metropolitan Filaret of Minsk and Slutsk meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 30.07.2013 16:36Patriarch Kirill: By celebrating the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ we close the link of times
- 29.07.2013 23:25His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and Primates of Local Orthodox Churches meet with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko
- 29.07.2013 19:24Primates of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate the Liturgy in Minsk Old Town
- 29.07.2013 18:29Patriarch Kirill’s homily after Divine Liturgy in Old City in Minsk
- 28.07.2013 19:20Homily delivered by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia in Kiev Laura of the Caves on the commemoration day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 28.07.2013 19:13The Day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles marked by Divine Liturgy celebrated by heads and hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 22:28Ukrainian President awards Primates of Local Orthodox Churches
- 27.07.2013 16:48Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church meets for regular session at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 16:27Thanksgiving celebrated on St. Vladimir’s Hill in Kiev
- 26.07.2013 22:52His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Orthodox Church of Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 26.07.2013 22:14His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Albanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 17:17His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 16:54Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of the Romanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 00:49Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria
- 25.07.2013 23:40President Putin meets with heads and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches
- 25.07.2013 20:02Statement by Heads and Representatives of the Local Orthodox Churches Assembled for the Celebration of the 1025th Anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 25.07.2013 17:12Patriarch Kirill meets with the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria
- 24.07.2013 23:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Ecumenical Patriarchate
- 24.07.2013 17:21Primates and Hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate Liturgy at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour on the commemoration day of St Olga Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 24.07.2013 04:04Meeting between Primates of Russian and Georgian Orthodox Churches
- 24.07.2013 03:25Patriarch Kirill’s meeting with Archbishop Chrisostomos of Cyprus
- 24.07.2013 02:43Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 23.07.2013 10:08His Holiness Patriarch Kirill greets delegation of Orthodox Church of Antioch
- 22.07.2013 23:29His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 21:48Delegation of Orthodox Church of Jerusalem arrives in Moscow
- 22.07.2013 17:43DECR chairman meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 12:55Delegation of the Church of Antioch arrives for the celebrations of 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 22.07.2013 12:22His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon blesses memorial plaque honouring the 220th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Mission in America
- 21.07.2013 16:11Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow