Patriarch Kirill prays at St. Andrew Hermitage on Mount Athos
From the old Xilourgou hermitage His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and his party went to the St. Andrew Hermitage, where they were welcomed by the head of the hermitage, Archimandrite Ephrem, the brethren and the teachers and pupils of the Athoniada school functioning within the schete.
At St. Andrew’s, His Holiness celebrated a thanksgiving, after which Father Ephrem greeted him and, on behalf of the monastic community, presented with an epitrachelion, omophorion and liturgical cuffs.
Speaking about the history of the schete, Patriarch Kirill noted, ‘Among those who contributed to the monastic life here were Russian Athonites. Among them Father Vissarion and Father Varsonofy, who acquired a cell in Vatopedi monastery, well-known Russian religious writer A. Muravyev, Father Theodorite, in whose time St. Andrew’s was laid, Father Innokenty (Sibiryakov), who donated his entire fortune for construction of St. Andrew’s. Just as the whole Athos, this schete experienced its ups and downs… It happened so that for political reasons in the later 20th century no more men could join the monastic community, and when the last monk died, nobody could come in his place’.
The Russian Orthodox Church did not remain indifferent to the plight of Russian Athonites and sought to support the monastic life in the St. Andrew schete, Patriarch Kirill said. ‘My predecessor, the late Patriarch Alexy II, was very much distressed to see this place deserted; whereas I can point with satisfaction to the revival of the monastery. The liturgy has been resumed; the buildings are gradually put in order; the schete becomes habituated by monks among whom there are natives of the countries in the canonical responsibility of the Russian Orthodox Church’.
The Primate of the Russian Church also addressed the teachers and pupils of the Athoniada school accommodated in the schete’s facilities and wished them to grow in faith and to become aware of the beauty of Orthodoxy under the monks’ wise guidance.
His Holiness presented the schete with an Icon of Our Lady of Kasperovo. Then he had a talk with the brethren of the hermitage.
- 07.06.2013 23:38Patriarch Kirill completes his visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece
- 07.06.2013 22:05Patriarch Kirill: spiritual factor is decisive in relations between the Russian and Greek nations
- 07.06.2013 05:12Patriarch Kirill makes thorough inspection of restoration work in Old Russic
- 07.06.2013 04:53Patriarch Kirill prays at St. Andrew Hermitage on Mount Athos
- 07.06.2013 02:36Patriarch Kirill visits Xilourgou hermitage
- 07.06.2013 00:38Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines at the Monastery of Vatopedi
- 06.06.2013 19:09Patriarch Kirill celebrates thanksgiving in Hilandar Monastery
- 06.06.2013 14:39Patriarch Kirill visits Zograf Monastery
- 06.06.2013 02:03His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Scete of Prophet Elijah founded by St. Paisius Velichkovsky on Mount Athos
- 06.06.2013 00:57Primate of the Russian Church celebrates prayer service at the Monastery of Pantocrator
- 06.06.2013 00:07His Holiness Patriarch Kirill venerates Panagia Portaitissa at Iveron Monastery
- 05.06.2013 15:29His Holiness celebrates at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 05.06.2013 09:32Patriarch Kirill says prayer for the dead at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 05.06.2013 00:08Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines of the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 04.06.2013 23:46Patriarch Kirill meets with members of the Mount Athos Epistasia
- 04.06.2013 14:21Patriarch Kirill arrives on Mount Athos
- 04.06.2013 05:42His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Metropolis of Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 05:26Primate of the Russian Church celebrates prayer service at the Cathedral of St. Gregory Palamas in Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 05:02Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church arrives in Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 04:50His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with the Greek Prime Minister, Antonis Samaras
- 04.06.2013 04:47President of Greece Karolos Papoulias awards Patriarch Kirill with the Order of Honour
- 03.06.2013 18:52Highest awards of the Orthodox Church of Greece are conferred upon members of the Russian Orthodox Church delegation
- 03.06.2013 18:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill attends grand meeting of the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church of Greece
- 03.06.2013 02:45Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia visit “Apostoli” Charity
- 02.06.2013 23:48His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Russian church of the Holy Trinity in Athens
- 02.06.2013 18:30Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia celebrate Divine Liturgy at the Church of St. Panteleimon in Athens
- 02.06.2013 02:12Primates of the Orthodox Church of Greece and Russia meet in Athens
- 01.06.2013 21:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill begins official visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece