His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem completes his pilgrimage to Valaam
On 29 May 2013, His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos III of Jerusalem, currently on official visit to the Russian Orthodox Church, went to St. Elijah’s scete of the stavropegic Monastery of the Transfiguration on the Valaam Island.
The delegation, accompanying the Primate of the Church of Jerusalem, consists of Metropolitan Kyriakos of Nazareth; Archbishop Aristarchos of Konstantina, secretary general of the Holy and Sacred Synod of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem; Archbishop Theophylactos of Jordan, Patriarchal Commissioner to Bethlehem; archimandrite Stephanos (Dispirakis), representative of the Patriarch of Jerusalem and All Palestine to the Moscow Patriarchate; archimandrite Galaktionos, hegumen of the monastery in Ramallah; and hierodeacon Athanasios (Themistokleos). Accompanying His Beatitude on behalf of the Russian Orthodox Church were Bishop Pankratiy of Troitsk; abbot of the Valaam Monastery of the Transfiguration; Bishop Tikhon of Podolsk; chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Finance and Economic Administration; archimandrite Isidor (Minayev), head of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem; and staff members of the DECR, hieromonk Stefan (Igumnov) and Anatoly Churiakov.
Hierodeacon Iliya and the brethren met the guests at the wharf. The Primate of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem visited St. Elijah’s church. Members of the delegation sang the praises to the Holy Prophet Elijah and lit candles.
In his address to Bishop Pankraty, His Beatitude said inter alia that servants of the Church had a great mission to fulfill and expressed his appreciation of the leaders of the Russian Orthodox Church who care for monastic centers which are the sources of life. Our Saviour said: ‘Let anyone who is thirsty come to me’ (Jn 7:37). He considered the Church as the source, and the Holy Spirit, who makes this source even stronger, is the water flowing into eternal life. Patriarch Theophilos thanked the monks for their love in Christ and expressed his wish for all, including the great country of Russia, to be filled with the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Then the delegation went to the Svetly Island by motor boats. The choir of the Valaam metochion in St. Petersburg sang festive hymns for the guests. The Primate of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem thanked Bishop Pankraty for hospitality and spoke about the situation in the Middle East, reminding those present of the difference between a terrorist martyr who is a devil’s witness, and church martyrs who suffer martyrdom for the love of Christ.
After lunch, His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos and his suite departed for St. Petersburg by helicopter.
St. Elijah’s scete is located ten kilometers to north-east of the monastery, on a small Lembos island. The pre-revolutionary buildings, including the church, have not been preserved. In 2006, monks and benefactors helped to rebuild the church in traditional architectural style of Northern Russia; the carved memorial cross was erected on the high bank.
- 31.05.2013 02:36Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem completes his visit to the Russian Orthodox Church
- 30.05.2013 23:03Reception in honour of Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem in St. Petersburg
- 30.05.2013 22:21Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem visits holy places in St. Petersburg
- 29.05.2013 22:01His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem completes his pilgrimage to Valaam
- 29.05.2013 06:50Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem venerates the shrines of Valamo Monastery’s Cathedral of the Holy Transfiguration
- 28.05.2013 19:09Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem arrives in Valamo
- 28.05.2013 19:00
- 28.05.2013 12:55His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos and His Holiness Patriarch Kirill arrive in St. Petersburg
- 27.05.2013 20:24President Vladimir Putin meets His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos and His Holiness Patriarch Kirill
- 27.05.2013 07:38Primate of Orthodox Church of Jerusalem visits Laura of the Holy Trinity and St. Sergius
- 26.05.2013 01:03Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem visits Moscow representation of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem
- 25.05.2013 20:03His Holiness Patriarch Kirill blesses monument to Patriarch Hermogen
- 24.05.2013 20:56Prime minister Dmitry Medvedev meets with Primate of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem
- 24.05.2013 20:34Primate of Russian Orthodox Church presents His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos with Order of St Vladimir, Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 24.05.2013 19:25On the Day of Ss Cyril and Methodius, Primates of the Church of Jerusalem and the Russian Orthodox Church celebrate Divine Liturgy in the Kremlin Church of the Assumption
- 23.05.2013 15:01Primate of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem arrives in Moscow