Metropolitan Hilarion visits US Library of Congress
On 10 February 2011, Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations, visited the US Library of Congress and met with the Librarian of Congress, James H. Billington and representatives of intellectual and religious circles of Washington, including Archbishop emeritus of Washington, Cardinal Theodore Edgar McCarrick; President of the Russian American Christian Institute John Bernbaum; President of the Georgetown University John J. DeGioia; Rector of St. John the Baptist church in Washington, the Very Rev. Victor Potapov (ROCOR); Rector of Washington National Cathedral, the Very Rev. Samuel T. Lloyd; head of the Department of Slavonic Studies Harold M. Leich; and director of the European Reading Room Grant Harris.
Metropolitan Hilarion delivered an address on the Orthodox understanding of beauty and harmony followed by a long discussion of a wide range of questions about church life in Russia at present. Special attention was paid to the role played by the Russian Orthodox Church in social processes both in Russia and other countries included in its canonical territory.
Metropolitan Hilarion underscored that the Russian Orthodox Church in these countries enjoyed a great moral authority and exerted positive influence on the life of people in all strata of society. The influence of the Church and, first and foremost, of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill, is more extended than the boundaries of the Church. According to the DECR chairman, His Holiness the Patriarch is a spiritual leader capable of uniting representatives of traditional religious communities and healthy forces in society.
After the talk, Dr. Billington showed Metropolitan Hilarion and his suite copies of Russian theological literature and church periodicals kept in the Library, for instance, the works by His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and Metropolitan Hilarion, as well as copies of “The Journal of the Moscow Patriarchate,” “The Church and the World,” “Foma,” and other publications issued with the blessing of the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia.
The DECR chairman and Dr. Billington exchanged presents. Metropolitan Hilarion gave the Librarian of Congress the first volume of his new book, Orthodoxy, in the English language, and received Dr. Billington’s books in Russian and in English.
- 14.02.2011 04:09Metropolitan Hilarion concelebrates Divine Liturgy with Primate of the Orthodox Church in America at St. Seraphim Cathedral in Dallas
- 14.02.2011 04:07Lecture at the Highland Park a Presbyterian Church in Dallas
- 14.02.2011 01:03(Russian) Состоялся ужин по случаю приезда митрополита Илариона в Даллас
- 13.02.2011 12:52HAVE SALT AMONG YOURSELVES. Lecture at Dallas Seminary, February 12, 2011
- 13.02.2011 12:52DECR chairman visits Dallas Theological Seminary
- 11.02.2011 22:03(Russian) Митрополит Иларион встретился c экс-президентом США Джорджем Бушем-младшим
- 11.02.2011 22:02(Russian) Председатель ОВЦС встретился с группой религиозных деятелей США
- 11.02.2011 21:34Metropolitan Hilarion visits US Library of Congress
- 11.02.2011 21:00(Russian) Председатель ОВЦС встретился с Послом России в США
- 10.02.2011 20:44Metropolitan Hilarion reads a lecture at the Catholic University of America
- 10.02.2011 20:38Metropolitan Hilarion meets with Special Assistant to US President
- 09.02.2011 10:47Metropolitan Hilarion meets with Russia’s representative to the UN
- 08.02.2011 17:12DECR chairman meets with UN Under-Secretary-General
- 07.02.2011 22:07First volume of the English edition of “Orthodox Christianity” by Metropolitan Hilarion is presented in New York
- 06.02.2011 13:00Metropolitan Hilarion gives Schmemann Lecture at St Vladimir’s Seminary in New York
- 06.02.2011 12:59THEOLOGY OF ICON IN THE ORTHODOX CHURCH. Lecture at St. Vladimir’s Seminary, 5 February 2011
- 06.02.2011 11:01Metropolitan Hilarion meets in New York with First Hierarch of the Russian Church Outside Russia
- 05.02.2011 10:28(Russian) Начался визит председателя ОВЦС в США