Patriarch Kirill begins his pastoral visit to Great Britain
On October 15, 2016, His Holiness Kirill, Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia, began his visit to the Diocese of Sourozh devoted to the 300th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Church’s presence in the British Islands.
His Holiness is accompanied by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate’s department for external church relations; Archbishop Mark of Berlin, Germany and Great Britain; Bishop Sergiy of Solnechnogorsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate administrative secretariat; Bishop Antoniy of Bogorodsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate office for the institutions abroad; Archimandrite Philaret (Bulekov), DECR vice-chairman; Archpriest Andrey Milkin, head of the Moscow Patriarchate protocol service; and Rev. Alexander Volkov, head of the Patriarchal press service.
Among the welcoming party at the airport were Archbishop Yelisey of Sourozh and representatives of the Sourozh diocesan clergy, as well as Mr. A. Yakovenko, Russia’s ambassador to Great Britain.
At the hotel, in which the Russian Orthodox Church’s delegation were accommodated, His Holiness Kirill was greeted by Bishop Jonathan Goodall, a representative of the Church of England.
The first stop of the Patriarchal visit will be the 32 Welbeck Street in London, in which the ROC church used to be in the period from 1913 to 1920.
At present the Diocese of Sourozh includes 46 parish communities. The ruling bishop is Archbishop Yelisey of Sourozh. Since 1990, Archbishop Anatoly of Kerch has served in London as an assistant bishop.
Serving in the parishes of the Diocese of Sourozh are 22 priest and 9 deacons.
In addition, the Russian Church Outside Russia in Great Britain has 12 parishes, including 2 communities of the western liturgical rite, 1 monastery, 2 chapels, 3 Orthodox missions and one stauropegial representation of the western rite. It has 9 priests and 2 deacons.
Patriarchal Press Service
DECR Communication Service
- 19.10.2016 11:51His Holiness Patriarch Kirill completes his visit to Great Britain
- 19.10.2016 02:00In conclusion of his visit Primate of Russian Orthodox Church answered questions from Russian and foreign mass media reporters
- 18.10.2016 21:01Patriarch Kirill’s discussion with Archbishop Justin Welby of Canterbury
- 18.10.2016 17:01Patriarch Kirill meets with Queen Elizabeth II in London
- 18.10.2016 13:28Metropolitan Hilarion meets with Baroness Anelay
- 17.10.2016 17:58His Holiness Patriarch Kirill celebrates litiya at the grave of Metropolitan Anthony (Bloom)
- 17.10.2016 16:03Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Irenaeus of Serbia in London
- 17.10.2016 00:34Patriarch Kirill attends reception in honour of 300th anniversary of Russian Orthodoxy in Great Britain and Ireland
- 16.10.2016 23:07Patriarch Kirill’s address after the liturgy at the diocese of Sourozh’s newly consecrated Cathedral of the Dormition
- 16.10.2016 22:35Patriarch Kirill visits Royal Geographical Society
- 16.10.2016 01:36His Holiness Patriarch Kirill celebrates divine service in London at the Dormition Cathedral of the Russian Church Abroad
- 15.10.2016 21:46Patriarch Kirill prays in the building in London rented from 1813 to 1921 to serve as a Russian church
- 15.10.2016 16:42Patriarch Kirill begins his pastoral visit to Great Britain