Commission for the preparation of the meeting of Primates of Local Orthodox Churches concludes its work
On 5 March 2014, the commission for the preparation of the forthcoming meeting of the Primates of the Local Orthodox Churches, chaired by Metropolitan John of Pergamon, continued its work at the Throne Hall of the Patriarchate of Constantinople. Taking part in the commission was the delegation of the Russian Orthodox Church, which included Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations; archpriest Nikolai Balashov, DECR vice-chairman; and deacon Anatoly Churiakov, a DECR staff member.
The members of the commission shared their opinions on a wide range of issues, including the preparation for the Pan-Orthodox Council.
Metropolitan Hilarion noted, in particular, the importance of the preparatory work, during which certain differences in the views of the Local Orthodox Churches should be taken into consideration. “The unity of the Holy Orthodox Church, which we have preserved over two thousand years, without any administrative instruments of unity, is such a precious heritage that first and foremost, we need to keep and strengthen it,” Metropolitan Hilarion said. Following the decisions of the Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church made in 2013, the DECR chairman emphasized that the Pan-Orthodox Council should take decisions by consensus. “We should think not only about the success of the Council,” Metropolitan Hilarion added, “but also about the acceptance of its results by the Local Orthodox Churches.”
The preparatory commission resolved that the meeting of the Primates will be a consultative meeting. Each Primate will submit its results to the members of the Holy Synod of his respective Church for consideration.
- 09.03.2014 20:56Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church completes his visit to Istanbul
- 09.03.2014 17:12Primates of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate Liturgy at the Cathedral of St George in Phanar on the Sunday of Orthodoxy
- 09.03.2014 17:09Message of the Primates of the Orthodox Churches (Phanar, March 6-9, 2014)
- 09.03.2014 16:11Primates of the Local Orthodox Churches stress the necessity of the immediate restoration of peace in Syria
- 07.03.2014 14:07Meeting of Primates of Orthodox Churches starts in Istanbul
- 06.03.2014 00:56Brotherly meeting of Primates of Church of Constantinople and Russian Church takes place at the Patriarchate of Constantinople
- 06.03.2014 00:49Commission for the preparation of the meeting of Primates of Local Orthodox Churches concludes its work
- 05.03.2014 20:11His Holiness Patriarch Kirill arrives in Istanbul to take part in the meeting of Primates of Orthodox Churches
- 05.03.2014 16:06Patriarch Kirill begins his visit to Istanbul
- 04.03.2014 18:26Moscow Patriarchate delegation takes part in preparing a meeting of Primates of Orthodox Churches