His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians
On 22 November 2016, at the Patriarchal residence in St Daniel’s Monastery, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia met with His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians.
Among those who took part in the meeting were also Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations; Bishop Kliment of Krasnoslobodsk and Temnikov; Archimandrite Philaret (Bulekov), DECR vice-chairman; and Hieromonk Stefan Igumnov, DECR secretary for inter-Christian relations.
His Holiness Patriarch Karekin II was accompanied by Archbishop Ezras Nersisyan, head of the Russian and Nor Nakhichevan diocese; Archbishop Nathan Hovhannisian, director of the External Relations and Protocol Department of the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin; Rev. Shahe Ananyan, head of the Interchurch Relations Department of the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin; Rev. Vagrat Melikyan, head of the Press Office of the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin; and Hieromonk Agan Yernyakyan.
“It is always a great joy for us to see you in Moscow and to meet with you,” His Holiness Patriarch Kirill said, greeting the head of the Armenian Apostolic Church, “Our historical ties that benefited greatly our peoples in past are so strong today that I do not even know where there more Armenians living now, in Armenia or in Russia.” His Holiness noted that the Armenian diaspora was an integral part of the Russian society and emphasized that the interchurch relations played a key role in it, always fostering the fraternal relations between the two peoples.
“By God’s mercy, we can say today that the historical journey of our two nations has, indeed, been remarkable and often heroic,” the Primate of the Russian Church continued, “We have been together not in joy only, but also in sorrow. Living in one country, we defended our homeland from fascism – the most terrible enemy ever. Many Armenians were the Soviet Union heroes – outstanding sons of the Armenian people and of our common homeland that we protected.”
The head of the Armenian Apostolic Church congratulated His Holiness Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday, saying in particular, “Your jubilee has brought together not only the Russian Orthodox clergy, but also the Primates of other Churches. It is a sign of love and respect that you have won in the Christian world; as well as of appreciation for your efforts to uphold Christian values and Christianity in general.”
As Patriarch Karekin II noted, the Russian Orthodox Church is undergoing the spiritual revival, making its considerable contribution to the peacemaking mission. “We appreciate your personal efforts aimed at defending the rights of Christians in the Middle East and at restoring peace and stability in our region,” the head of the Armenian Church said.
His Holiness Patriarch Karekin II also emphasized that the brotherly relations between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Armenian Apostolic Church had grown closer over the years of Patriarch Kirill’s Primatial ministry. “Our people have particular love and respect for you,” he added, “No doubt, all the efforts that we make to strengthen our relationships also help promote cooperation between our peoples, and we believe that this friendship will accompany them in the new millennium as well.”
DECR Communication Service
Photo by the Patriarchal Press Service
- 25.11.2016 10:58German edition of Patriarch Kirill’s book ‘Freedom and Responsibility’ presented in Berlin
- 23.11.2016 10:31Reception in conclusion of celebration of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 23.11.2016 10:18Concert to mark the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 22.11.2016 21:02Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Bulgarian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:45Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Romanian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:03Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Cardinal Kurt Koch
- 22.11.2016 17:33His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians
- 22.11.2016 08:01Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 05:08Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Patriarchate of Antioch
- 22.11.2016 05:05His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Metropolitan Rastislav of the Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 22.11.2016 01:11Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania
- 22.11.2016 00:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Chrysostomos of Cyprus
- 21.11.2016 21:54Primates and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches attend grand meeting dedicated to the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill
- 21.11.2016 19:19His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Rus addressed the participants of the gathering in the Church Assembly Hall of the Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow
- 20.11.2016 21:42Reception devoted to Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday at the Church of Christ the Saviour
- 20.11.2016 18:46Solemn celebration on Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday in Church of Christ the Savior
- 20.11.2016 18:02His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s homily delivered at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour after the Divine Liturgy on 22nd Sunday after Pentecost
- 20.11.2016 17:22President Putin’s congratulations to Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 20.11.2016 17:06Message of greetings from members of Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 19.11.2016 23:58His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theodoros of Alexandria
- 19.11.2016 20:51Meeting of Primates of Russian and Polish Orthodox Churches
- 19.11.2016 18:34His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Primate of Georgian Orthodox Church
- 19.11.2016 16:34Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Irenaeus of Serbia
- 19.11.2016 15:16His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 19.11.2016 12:53Patriarch Kirill meets with representative of Patriarchate of Constantinople
- 18.11.2016 18:24Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 18.11.2016 08:46Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow