Patriarch Kirill: The Pan-Orthodox Council’s document on Sacrament of Marriage called to respond to challenges threatening institution of family in modern world
Informing the Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church on the progress of preparations for the Pan-Orthodox Council, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia mentioned in particular the Council’s draft documents on the Sacrament of Marriage and Its Impediments. This draft document, among others, was essentially revised by the Synaxis of the Primates of Local Orthodox Churches which took place in January 2016.
Previously it was entitled as ‘On Impediments to Marriage’, which fully reflected its content. Drafted as far back as the 80s, it really was no more than a bare list of the degrees of consanguinity and circumstances in which marriage was not permitted by canons. ‘Our Church has repeatedly called to actualize this text by setting forth the church teaching on marriage as the union of man and woman and responding to the challenges which threaten the institution of the family in the modern world’, His Holiness stressed.
He indicated that the meeting of the Special Inter-Orthodox Commission and the 5th Pan-Orthodox Pre-Council Conference took these proposals into account only partially. However, for the most participants in the recent Synaxis of the Primates, it became clear that this document needed further revision. ‘As a result, the text was considerably supplemented and improved, which made it possible for us to sign it’, the Patriarch stated.
Nevertheless, the draft document did not suit all the Local Orthodox Churches, and Patriarchates of Antioch and Georgia refused to sign it. The further fate of this document will be determined in the course of inter-Orthodox consultations before the Council.
Information Service of the Bishops’ Council
DECR Communication Service
- 03.02.2016 12:50Bishops’ Council glorifies Archbishop Seraphim (Sobolev)
- 02.02.2016 17:31Patriarch Kirill: At the present stage of drafting the catechesis, the priority is its church reception
- 02.02.2016 16:34His Holiness Patriarch Kirill emphasizes the necessity to establish effective system of distant learning at seminaries
- 02.02.2016 12:45In course of preparations for Pan-Orthodox Council, most of Russian Orthodox Church’s proposals approved
- 02.02.2016 12:41His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: Unilateral recognition of schism in Ukraine will have catastrophic consequences for the unity of the Orthodox Church
- 02.02.2016 12:38Patriarch Kirill: Any unilateral actions in granting autocephaly should be excluded
- 02.02.2016 12:36The issue of Orthodox Diaspora to be considered at the Pan-Orthodox Council
- 02.02.2016 12:25Patriarch Kirill: The Pan-Orthodox Council’s document on Sacrament of Marriage called to respond to challenges threatening institution of family in modern world
- 02.02.2016 12:20His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: “The Mission of the Orthodox Church in Today’s World” is, I believe, the key document on the agenda of the Pan-Orthodox Council
- 02.02.2016 12:15Patriarch Kirill: There was no question of any union of the Orthodox Church with the non-Orthodox
- 02.02.2016 12:10A draft document of Pan-Orthodox Council affirms for the first time on pan-Orthodox scale the obligatory character of Nativity, Apostles’ and Dormition fasts
- 02.02.2016 12:00Patriarch Kirill: We do not call the forthcoming Pan-Orthodox Council ecumenical
- 02.02.2016 11:45His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: An attempt to expel Christianity from the Middle East is a tragedy of historic scale that affects the whole world
- 02.02.2016 11:35Patriarch Kirill calls upon the plenitude of the Russian Church to continue praying for peace in Ukraine
- 02.02.2016 11:20Heads of states in Moscow Patriarchate’s canonical territory greet the Bishops’ Council
- 02.02.2016 11:10The Sacred Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church opens in Moscow