His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and His Holiness Patriarch Irinej bless monument to Tsar Nicholas II the Passion-Bearer in Belgrade
On 16 November 2014, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and His Holiness Patriarch Irinej of Serbia conducted the blessing of a monument to the Tsar and Passion-Bearer, the last Russian Emperor Nicholas II, in Belgrade.
H.E. Tomislav Nikolić, President of the Republic of Serbia, took part in the solemn unveiling of the monument.
Among those attending the ceremony were Mr. Alexander Torshin, first deputy chairman of the Federation Council of the Russian Federation; Mr. Vladimir Medinsky, chairman of the Russian Military-Historical Society, Minister of Culture of the Russian Federation; members of the Government of the Republic of Serbia; Ms. Natalia Narochnitskaya, president of the Historical Perspective Foundation; members of the official delegation of the Russian Orthodox Church; and numerous citizens of Belgrade.
After saying a prayer and sprinkling the monument with the holy water, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill addressed all those present with a brief homily, saying in particular:
“We are present at an event of historical significance – the blessing of the monument to the Holy Passion-Bearer, Tsar Nicholas II. Emperor Nicholas had done so much to save Serbia and the whole Europe that it cannot be described in a few words. It is remarkable that the first monument in his honour outside of Russia has been erected here, in Belgrade.
“The Serbian people were cherishing the memory of Emperor Nicholas II even at the time when his name could not be said aloud, when one could only speak ill of him. However, the truth has a great power. Sometimes we see grass struggling through asphalt, life coming out in the open. The same is with the truth – it cannot be hidden under the asphalt or concrete; sooner or later it comes into life of next generations. The truth about the sacrificial heroic deed of Emperor Nicholas II has struggled through the ferroconcrete slab laid on his name.
“I would like to thank the people and the authorities of Serbia, as well as all the compatriots who have done much to honour the memory of this great man in this remarkable monument.”
The participants in the ceremony laid wraths to the monument.
His Holiness Patriarch Irinej of Serbia and the President of the Republic of Serbia, Mr. Tomislav Nikolić, also greeted those present at the ceremony. As the President of Serbia noted, yet another symbol of the centuries-old friendship has appeared in Belgrade.
- 17.11.2014 10:13His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Serbian Orthodox Church on November 14-16
- 17.11.2014 01:28Reception given in honour of Patriarch Kirill in conclusion of his visit to Serbia
- 16.11.2014 21:21His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and His Holiness Patriarch Irinej bless monument to Tsar Nicholas II the Passion-Bearer in Belgrade
- 16.11.2014 20:14Primates of the Russian and Serbian Orthodox Churches celebrate at the Cathedral of St. Sabbas of Serbia
- 15.11.2014 23:01His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits exhibition ‘Russia and Serbia. History of Spiritual Relations’
- 15.11.2014 20:35His Holiness Patriarch Kirill consecrates Russian Necropolis in Belgrade
- 15.11.2014 17:37Primates of the Russian and Serbian Churches celebrate memorial service to the late Serbian patriarchs
- 15.11.2014 02:29Primates of Russian and Serbian Churches meet with head of Serbia’s Government, Mr. Aleksandar Vučić
- 15.11.2014 00:39Primates of Russian and Serbian Orthodox Churches meet with President of Serbia, Mr. Tomislav Nikolić
- 14.11.2014 18:55Degree of Doctor honoris causa is conferred on His Holiness Patriarch Kirill
- 14.11.2014 14:04His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia arrives in Belgrade
- 12.11.2014 09:24His Holiness Patriarch Kirill to visit Serbian Orthodox Church on 14-16 November