His Holiness Patriarch Kirill celebrates Divine Liturgy in Shanghai
On 15 May 2013, Wednesday of the second week after Pascha and commemoration day of the holy passion-bearers princes Boris and Gleb, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia celebrated the Divine Liturgy at the building of the former cathedral of “The Helper of Sinners” icon of the Mother of God, which now houses a museum.
Children of the compatriots living in Shanghai gave a hospitable reception to His Holiness offering him bead and salt according to a Russian custom.
Celebrating with His Holiness were Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations (DECR’ Bishop Sergiy of Solnechnogorsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Administrative Secretariat; archpriest Nikolay Balashov, DECR deputy chairman; archpriest Dionisiy Pozdnyayev, rector of Ss Peter and Paul church in Hongkong; archpriest Alexiy Kiselevich, rector of St. Nicholas of Myra in Lycia church in Shanghai; and Rev. Michael Wang Quansheng and protodeacon Evangelos Lu Yaofu, the eldest retired clerics of the Chinese Autonomous Orthodox Church living in Shanghai.
Attending the divine service were Andrei Denisov, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Russian Federation to the People’s Republic of China; Russian Consul General in Shanghai, Andrei Smorodin; Ukrainian Consul General in Shanghai, Sergei Burdyliak; Belorussian Consul General in Shanghai, Vladimir Vorobey; and Bulgarian Consul General in Shanghai, Ms Irina Beleva.
The choir of the Moscow Novospassky Monastery sang during the litury.
The Apostol and the Gospel were read in the Church Slavonic and Chinese languages, and some exclamations were proclaimed in Chinese.
After the liturgy, the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church celebrated Litiya for the reposed archpastors, pastors, monastics and laymen of the Chinese Autonomous Orthodox Church.
Patriarch Kirill said in his homily: “It is remarkable that the liturgy in the Church of “The Helper of Sinners” icon of the Mother of God, the first divine service after fifty years of interruption, was celebrated during Easter-tide… Both China and Russia give us examples of revival after the time of sorrow. The Divine Liturgy celebrated today is a symbol of China’s revival.”
His Holiness greeted all Orthodox worshippers, Russians, Chinese, Ukrainians, Byelorussian, Moldavians, Greeks, Georgians, Serbs and Bulgarians, who gathered in the church and reminded them that when an Orthodox Christian comes to a certain place, he becomes a member of the local Orthodox community. “Today we, who have gathered here, are the Chinese Church.”
The Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church presented liturgical vessels to the church, and small icons of the Resurrection of Christ with patriarchal blessing to the worshippers.
- 16.05.2013 01:44His Holiness Patriarch Kirill completes his visit to China
- 16.05.2013 01:14Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with religious leaders of Shanghai
- 16.05.2013 00:45His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: We are witnessing revival of Chinese Orthodox Church
- 16.05.2013 00:07His Holiness Patriarch Kirill celebrates Divine Liturgy in Shanghai
- 14.05.2013 21:55His Holiness Patriarch Kirill arrives in Shanghai
- 14.05.2013 17:55Metropolitan Hilarion: There is every condition for the Orthodox Church in China to revive
- 14.05.2013 17:21Patriarch Kirill meets with vice-governor of Chinese province of Heilongjiang
- 14.05.2013 16:25Patriarch Kirill celebrated Divine Liturgy at Intercession Church in Harbin
- 13.05.2013 15:50His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits St. Sophia Cathedral in Harbin
- 13.05.2013 15:42His Holiness Patriarch Kirill arrives in Harbin
- 13.05.2013 15:38Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with religious figures of China
- 13.05.2013 10:22His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: China came to the knowledge of Russia through Russian Orthodox Mission
- 13.05.2013 08:40Patriarch Kirill: The dreams of the Chinese Orthodox Church’s bright future begins to come true
- 12.05.2013 21:19Patriarch Kirill celebrates Divine Liturgy in Beijing
- 11.05.2013 08:32Patriarch Kirill meets with director of Chinese State Administration for Religious Affairs
- 10.05.2013 20:28Patriarch Kirill: The Church contributes to the strengthening of genuine friendship among nations
- 10.05.2013 20:20Patriarch Kirill meets with Chairman of the People’s Republic of China, Mr. Xi Jinping