Primates of Russian and Bulgarian Orthodox Churches celebrate moleben of thanksgiving at Shipka Memorial Church
On 3 March 2018, Bulgaria celebrated the 140th anniversary of liberation from the Ottoman yoke, achieved as a result of the Russo-Turkish war of 1877-78.
That day His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and His Holiness Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria celebrated a moleben of thanksgiving at the Church of the Nativity of Christ on Shipka.
Among those who attended the service were Mr. Rumen Radev, President of Bulgaria, and Mrs. Tsveta Karayancheva, President of the National Assembly of Bulgaria; as well as members of the delegation of the Russian Orthodox Church, hierarchs and clergy of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church, diplomats, guests from other countries, and numerous citizens of Bulgaria.
After the moleben, His Holiness Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria delivered a homily, in which he noted that the Church of the Nativity of Christ had been and still was one of the most outstanding symbols and memorials to the centuries-old friendship between Bulgaria and Russia, to their mutual love in Christ and to the Orthodox Slavonic unity.
As the Primate of the Bulgarian Church emphasized, the church which was built at the foot of the historic Mount Shipka and at the foundation of which the remains of hundreds and thousands of the Russian and Bulgarian soldiers who gave their lives for the freedom of Bulgaria lie, will always remind future generations about Russia’s remarkable exploit and about the sacrificial love that her sons showed in liberating the Orthodox Bulgarian people from the centuries-old yoke.
DECR Communication Service
Photo by Press Service of Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia
- 05.03.2018 08:13Patriarch Kirill completes his visit to Bulgarian Orthodox Church
- 05.03.2018 07:46Patriarch Kirill meets with President of Bulgaria
- 04.03.2018 15:33Primates of Russian and Bulgarian Orthodox Churches celebrate Divine Liturgy at the Cathedral of St. Alexander Nevsky in Sofia
- 04.03.2018 02:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and His Holiness Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria meet with Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borissov
- 03.03.2018 21:11His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with President of Bulgaria’s National Assembly
- 03.03.2018 16:54His Holiness Patriarch Kirill takes part in the celebrations on Mount Shipka on Bulgaria’s Liberation Day
- 03.03.2018 15:58Primates of Russian and Bulgarian Orthodox Churches celebrate moleben of thanksgiving at Shipka Memorial Church
- 02.03.2018 23:09His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Holiness Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria and members of the Holy Synod of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church