Meeting of the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church
July 26, 2017 – The Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church met for its regular session at the Kiev Laura of the Caves. It was chaired by His Beatitude Onufry, Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine.
In connection with ‘numerous appeals of the faithful’, it was resolved that the Synod should address Ukrainian President P. Poroshenko, Prime Minister V. Groysman and Supreme Rada Speaker A. Parubiy concerning biometrical passports.
Blessing was given upon the holding of church-wide celebrations on the occasion of the centenary of the martyrdom of the Holy Martyr Vladimir, Metropolitan of Kiev. Metropolitan Pavel of Vyshgorod and Chernobyl was instructed to submit to His Beatitude the membership of the Organizing Committee and a plan of events.
It was decided to introduce amendments to and register reviewed statutes of the Synodal Departments (missions), diocesan administrations, educational institutions, monasteries and brotherhoods as required by the Ukrainian Internal Revenue Code relative to non-profit organizations.
In connection with captures of the UOC churches, it was resolved that concern and gratitude be expressed to the clergy and laity ‘for their faithfulness, feat of confession and steadfastness in preserving canonical Orthodoxy’. The UOC Synodal Department for Social and Humanitarian Issues was instructed to begin, together with the Favor Foundation, a charity program ‘A Drop of Peace’ to raise funds for the construction of churches in settlements in which churches have been captured. All the faithful of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church were called to take part in the charity program.
The Synod also made several decisions concerning the ordering of internal life of dioceses and monasteries and established new dates for the celebration of Synaxes of Locally Venerated Saints.
DECR Communication Service
- 26.07.2017 19:52Meeting of the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church
- 20.06.2017 17:49His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem expresses support to Ukrainian Orthodox Church
- 06.06.2017 22:40Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem condemns actions aimed against canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church
- 30.05.2017 12:29The meeting of the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church
- 26.05.2017 22:00Patriarch Irenaeus of Serbia describes amendments proposed to Ukrainian law as discriminatory towards the faithful of the canonical Church
- 24.05.2017 07:52Primate of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria underscores the anti-church nature of bills Nos 4128 and 4511 to be considered by Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
- 23.05.2017 12:02His Beatitude Patriarch John X of Antioch condemns attempts to adopt at Ukraine’s Verkhovna Rada the bills directed against the Ukrainian Orthodox Church
- 19.05.2017 23:07Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus emphasizes anti-church nature of bills Nos. 4128 and 4511 that were to be considered by Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
- 19.05.2017 22:36Holy See expresses solidarity with Ukrainian Orthodox Church over the attempts to adopt anti-church laws in Ukraine
- 18.05.2017 17:45Primate of the Orthodox Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia hopes anti-church bills will be withdrawn from Supreme Rada agenda
- 18.05.2017 16:40His Beatitude Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine urges deputies of Verkhovna Rada to prevent the adoption of anti-church bills
- 17.05.2017 23:23Metropolitan Hilarion’s comments on Ukrainian Supreme Rada’s forthcoming consideration of anti-church bills
- 17.05.2017 20:46General Secretary of the World Council of Churches Olav Fykse Tveit sends letters to President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko and Chair of the Ukrainian Supreme Council Andrii Parubii
- 16.05.2017 21:12His Holiness Patriarch Kirill sends letters to heads of Normandy Four states, Primates of Local Orthodox Churches, Pope Francis, UN Secretary-General and WCC General Secretary concerning anti-church bills due to be adopted by Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
- 16.05.2017 14:59Ukrainian hierarchs and religious leaders comment on anti-church bills to be considered by Supreme Rada
- 16.05.2017 11:35Discriminatory laws prepared against the Ukrainian Orthodox Church – a report at the World Summit in Defense of Persecuted Christians