His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
On 19 November 2016, at the Patriarchal residence in St Daniel’s Monastery, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia met with His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem.
The high guest was accompanied by Metropolitan Timotheos of Bostra; Archbishop Aristarchos of Konstantina, Archimandrite Stephan (Dispirakis), representative of the Patriarch of Jerusalem to the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia; and Hierodeacon Mark.
Representing the Russian Orthodox Church at the meeting were also Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations; Bishop Tikhon of Podolsk, administrator of the dioceses of Vienna, Austria and Hungary; Archimandrite Alexander (Yelisov), head of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem; archpriest Nikolai Balashov, DECR vice-chairman; and archpriest Igor Yakimchuk, DECR secretary for inter-Orthodox relations.
Addressing His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos and the members of the delegation of the Church of Jerusalem, Patriarch Kirill said, “Dear brothers, I cordially greet you and thank you for accepting my invitation to share the prayer on the occasion of the 70th birthday of my humble person. Every time Your Beatitude and your esteemed brothers, dear to my heart, come to Moscow, it is a great joy for us… It is with special feelings that we always welcome Your Beatitude and representatives of the Holy Church of Jerusalem, the Mother of all Churches. Our Lord Jesus Christ blessed by his feet the land where the Church of Jerusalem carries out her ministry; it is the Church from which the apostolic word spread all over the world. You are the custodians of the Holy Sepulchre, of the holy sites, performing this service with great honour and dignity for several thousand years.”
As the Primate of the Russian Church noted, the Holy Land underwent many sufferings and destructions, as well as terrible political and military cataclysms, but the Patriarchate of Jerusalem managed to preserve the holy sites, often making enormous sacrifices, showing firmness in faith, fortitude and wisdom.
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill emphasized that the Russian Orthodox Church always supported the Patriarchate of Jerusalem, showing deep respect and appreciation for its mission, important for the whole Orthodox world.
His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos expressed his joy over the opportunity to visit the Russian Orthodox Church on the occasion of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday and thanked him for the invitation. According to the head of the Church of Jerusalem, these celebrations are of particular importance, helping strengthen the brotherly relations between the Churches of Jerusalem and Russia, and serving as yet another manifestation of the unity of the Holy Orthodox Church.
His Beatitude reminded all those present that the Russian people and the Russian Church had made a great contribution to the preservation of the shrines and Orthodox faith in the Holy Land.
As the high guest noted, the Church of Jerusalem suffered in the past and continues to suffer. “However,” he added, “the Cross of Christ and the Resurrection of Christ give us strength and opportunity to continue our ministry and bear our witness.”
His Beatitude also told about the restoration works at the Edicule in the Holy Sepulchre and about the reconstruction of the Basilica of the Nativity of Christ in Bethlehem. “We are aware of your interest in this project and of your contribution,” Patriarch Theophilos said and emphasized that the reconstruction works had been intensified considerably thanks to the funds allocated, in particular, by the decision of the Russian President Vladimir Putin.
DECR Communication Service
Photo by the Patriarchal Press Service
- 25.11.2016 10:58German edition of Patriarch Kirill’s book ‘Freedom and Responsibility’ presented in Berlin
- 23.11.2016 10:31Reception in conclusion of celebration of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 23.11.2016 10:18Concert to mark the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 22.11.2016 21:02Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Bulgarian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:45Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Romanian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:03Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Cardinal Kurt Koch
- 22.11.2016 17:33His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians
- 22.11.2016 08:01Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 05:08Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Patriarchate of Antioch
- 22.11.2016 05:05His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Metropolitan Rastislav of the Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 22.11.2016 01:11Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania
- 22.11.2016 00:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Chrysostomos of Cyprus
- 21.11.2016 21:54Primates and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches attend grand meeting dedicated to the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill
- 21.11.2016 19:19His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Rus addressed the participants of the gathering in the Church Assembly Hall of the Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow
- 20.11.2016 21:42Reception devoted to Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday at the Church of Christ the Saviour
- 20.11.2016 18:46Solemn celebration on Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday in Church of Christ the Savior
- 20.11.2016 18:02His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s homily delivered at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour after the Divine Liturgy on 22nd Sunday after Pentecost
- 20.11.2016 17:22President Putin’s congratulations to Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 20.11.2016 17:06Message of greetings from members of Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 19.11.2016 23:58His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theodoros of Alexandria
- 19.11.2016 20:51Meeting of Primates of Russian and Polish Orthodox Churches
- 19.11.2016 18:34His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Primate of Georgian Orthodox Church
- 19.11.2016 16:34Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Irenaeus of Serbia
- 19.11.2016 15:16His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 19.11.2016 12:53Patriarch Kirill meets with representative of Patriarchate of Constantinople
- 18.11.2016 18:24Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 18.11.2016 08:46Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow