Patriarch Kirill: There was no question of any union of the Orthodox Church with the non-Orthodox
The forthcoming Pan-Orthodox Council is to consider a draft document on Relations of the Orthodox Church with the Rest of the Christian World adopted by the 5th Pan-Orthodox Pre-Council Conference on October 10-17, 2015, in Chambesy. His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia reported this to the Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church, which has opened in Moscow.
In his report about the preparation of the Pan-Orthodox Council, the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church noted that this document was drafted on the basis of two texts elaborated as far back as the 80s, with one of them devoted to the so-called ecumenical movement and the other mostly to the bilateral dialogues conducted by the Orthodox Church with non-Orthodox communities. ‘The need for a considerable revision was dictated by the changes which have happened in a number of Protestant denominations in the last decades’, His Holiness stated, ‘influenced by the secular ideology, many of them embarked on the path of revision of not only their own doctrine but also the very foundations of Christian morality’.
This is what compelled the Orthodox Church to reconsider her relations with such communities, His Holiness reminded the bishops.
‘Our criticism was taken into account in the revision of this document’, Patriarch Kirill stressed noting that in its basic affirmations it takes into account the principle provisions of the Basic Principles of the Russian Orthodox Church’s Attitude to Non-Orthodoxy adopted by the Jubilee Bishops’ Council in 2000. Thus, the draft document of the Pan-Orthodox Council clearly states that the relations of the Orthodox Church with non-Orthodox churches ‘should be built on the speediest possible and more correct clarification of all the ecclesiological topics, especially in the area of teaching on the sacraments, grace, priesthood and apostolic succession as a whole’. In a separate note it states that the Orthodox Church, while participating in the work of the World Council of Churches, “does not accept the idea of ‘equality of confessions’ and cannot perceive the unity of the Church as some inter-confessional compromise”.
‘Certainly, no union of the Orthodox Church with the non-Orthodox is even mentioned in the document’, Patriarch Kirill stated.
Information Service of the Bishops’ Council
DECR Communication Service
- 03.02.2016 12:50Bishops’ Council glorifies Archbishop Seraphim (Sobolev)
- 02.02.2016 17:31Patriarch Kirill: At the present stage of drafting the catechesis, the priority is its church reception
- 02.02.2016 16:34His Holiness Patriarch Kirill emphasizes the necessity to establish effective system of distant learning at seminaries
- 02.02.2016 12:45In course of preparations for Pan-Orthodox Council, most of Russian Orthodox Church’s proposals approved
- 02.02.2016 12:41His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: Unilateral recognition of schism in Ukraine will have catastrophic consequences for the unity of the Orthodox Church
- 02.02.2016 12:38Patriarch Kirill: Any unilateral actions in granting autocephaly should be excluded
- 02.02.2016 12:36The issue of Orthodox Diaspora to be considered at the Pan-Orthodox Council
- 02.02.2016 12:25Patriarch Kirill: The Pan-Orthodox Council’s document on Sacrament of Marriage called to respond to challenges threatening institution of family in modern world
- 02.02.2016 12:20His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: “The Mission of the Orthodox Church in Today’s World” is, I believe, the key document on the agenda of the Pan-Orthodox Council
- 02.02.2016 12:15Patriarch Kirill: There was no question of any union of the Orthodox Church with the non-Orthodox
- 02.02.2016 12:10A draft document of Pan-Orthodox Council affirms for the first time on pan-Orthodox scale the obligatory character of Nativity, Apostles’ and Dormition fasts
- 02.02.2016 12:00Patriarch Kirill: We do not call the forthcoming Pan-Orthodox Council ecumenical
- 02.02.2016 11:45His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: An attempt to expel Christianity from the Middle East is a tragedy of historic scale that affects the whole world
- 02.02.2016 11:35Patriarch Kirill calls upon the plenitude of the Russian Church to continue praying for peace in Ukraine
- 02.02.2016 11:20Heads of states in Moscow Patriarchate’s canonical territory greet the Bishops’ Council
- 02.02.2016 11:10The Sacred Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church opens in Moscow