His Holiness Patriarch Kirill celebrates prayer service at the site of St. Bartholomew’s martyrdom
On 14 November 2019, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia celebrated a prayer service at the remains of the chapel of St. Bartholomew in the capital of Azerbaijan.
Church tradition holds that St. Bartholomew, one of Christ’s twelve apostles, suffered and died for the Saviour here. A Christian church was built on the site, and in 1892 the chapel of St. Bartholomew was built here on private donations. It was demolished in the 20th century in the years of the persecution of faith.
Praying at the service were Metropolitan Pavel of Minsk and Zaslavl, Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus; Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations; Metropolitan Vikenty of Tashkent and Uzbekistan; Metropolitan Kirill of Yekaterinburg and Verkhnyay Tura; Archbishop Alexander of Baku and Azerbaijan; members of the delegation accompanying His Holiness; clerics of the diocese and many Orthodox residents of Baku.
- 14.11.2019 23:28Primate of the Russian Church attends reception in honour of the participants in 2nd Summit of World Religious Leaders in Baku
- 14.11.2019 21:14His Holiness Patriarch Kirill performs Lesser Consecration of the Cathedral of the Holy Myrrhbearing Women in Baku
- 14.11.2019 20:12His Holiness Patriarch Kirill celebrates prayer service at the site of St. Bartholomew’s martyrdom
- 14.11.2019 19:20His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Cathedral of the Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God in Baku
- 14.11.2019 17:46Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev
- 14.11.2019 16:02Patriarch Kirill takes part in opening of 2nd Summit of World Religious Leaders in Baku
- 14.11.2019 12:53Address by His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia at the opening of the 2nd Summit of World Religious Leaders in Baku
- 14.11.2019 09:45Patriarch Kirill arrives in Baku