Primate of the Church of Alexandria celebrates at Novotikhvisky Convent in Yekaterinburg
During his visit to Russia, His Beatitude Theodoros II, Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa, who had come to Moscow for the centenary celebration of the restoration of Patriarchate in the Russian Church, visited Yekaterinburg.
On December 8, the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria was met at Koltsovo airport by a delegation of the diocese of Yekaterinburg, led by Metropolitan Kirill of Yekaterinburg and Verkhoturye.
On December 9, His Beatitude and Metropolitan Kirill met with regional governor Yevgeniy Kuyvashev. The high guest told the head of the Sverdlovsk region about the work carried out by the Church of Alexandria in Africa in general and the construction of schools and universities, in particular.
In the evening, His Beatitude Theodoros and the head of the Metropolia of Yekaterinburg attended the ceremony of awarding the decoration badge of the Order of St. Catherine, which took place at the Sevastyanov House, the governor’s residence. The decoration was established by the St. Catherine Foundation in 2017 for encouraging city-dwellers who selflessly work in everyday life and for those who displayed heroism and courage in an emergency situation.
On Sunday, December 1, the Day of the Icon of the Mother of God of the Sign, Patriarch Theodoros celebrated the Divine Liturgy at the St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral of the Novotikhvinsky Convent. The service was celebrated at the miracle-working Icon of Our Lady the Sign, which had been brought the day before from the church of Our Lady the Sign in the city of Verkhniy Tagil.
The cathedral was filled with some four thousand worshippers. The communion was given from twelve cups.
Addressing the faithful after the liturgy, Metropolitan Kirill expressed heartfelt gratitude to His Beatitude Theodoros II for coming to Yekaterinburg and to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill who had given his blessing to the high guest for his pilgrimage.
As a token of the festive Divine Liturgy in the Novotikhvinsky Convent, Metropolitan Kirill presented His Beatitude with an icon of the Most Holy Mother of God called ‘The Sign’ and, with the blessing of Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, conveyed to Patriarch Theodoros a sacred pectoral icon and a cross.
Patriarch Theodoros greeted the worshippers on the occasion of the feast of the Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos ‘The Sign’ and thanked them for the warm welcome in the Ural land. ‘I will mention you in prayer when I come to various lands in Africa. Over there, we have no such beautiful church since they are made mainly of wood and branches, but what is important is that there is Christ in them as well’, he said and invited everybody to make a pilgrimage to the shrines of the Church of Alexandria. His Beatitude presented Metropolitan Kirill with a pectoral icon with an image of the Mother of God ‘Hodegetria’ (She who shows the way).
The sisters of the convent expressed their gratitude to His Beatitude by presenting him with an aer embroidered by sisters and presented by Mother Superior Domnika (Korobeinikova).
Yekaterinburg diocese website
DECR Communication Service
- 11.12.2017 21:03Primate of the Church of Alexandria celebrates at Novotikhvisky Convent in Yekaterinburg
- 08.12.2017 23:17Primate of Orthodox Church of Cyprus completes his visit to Moscow
- 08.12.2017 22:48Primate of the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem visits Yekaterinburg
- 08.12.2017 16:45Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada completes his visit to Moscow
- 07.12.2017 19:06His Beatitude Metropolitan Rastislav of the Czech Lands and Slovakia completes his visit to Moscow
- 07.12.2017 18:52Patriarch Irinej of Serbia completes his visit to Moscow
- 07.12.2017 12:54His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Bulgarian Orthodox Church
- 07.12.2017 10:46Patriarch Theodoros II celebrates Divine Liturgy in St Alexander Nevsky monastery
- 06.12.2017 10:31Primate of the Polish Orthodox Church completes his visit to Moscow
- 05.12.2017 22:42Primates of Russian and Polish Orthodox Churches meet in Moscow
- 05.12.2017 21:14Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania
- 05.12.2017 19:56His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch John X of Antioch
- 05.12.2017 18:55His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theodoros II of Alexandria
- 05.12.2017 10:50Russian President Vladimir Putin had a talk with His Beatitude John X, Patriarch of Antioch
- 04.12.2017 22:58Russian President Vladimir Putin meets with Primates of Local Orthodox Churches
- 04.12.2017 18:01Reception at the Church of Christ the Saviour on the occasion of the centenary of the restoration of the Patriarchate
- 04.12.2017 16:07His Beatitude Patriarch Theodoros II of Alexandria and All Africa officiates at the Divine Liturgy in the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour on the centenary of enthronement of St. Tikhon the Patriarch of Moscow
- 04.12.2017 07:30Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Daniel of Romania
- 02.12.2017 14:15Primate of the Romanian Orthodox Church arrives in Moscow
- 02.12.2017 00:44Primate of Albanian Orthodox Church arrives in Moscow
- 02.12.2017 00:34Primate of the Polish Orthodox Church arrives in the Russian capital
- 01.12.2017 21:56His Beatitude Archbishop Chrysostomos of Cyprus arrives in Moscow
- 01.12.2017 21:12His Holiness Patriarch Irinej of Serbia arrives in Moscow
- 01.12.2017 15:27Primate of the Orthodox Church of Czech Lands and Slovakia arrives in Moscow
- 01.12.2017 14:07Primate of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria arrives in Moscow
- 01.12.2017 09:34Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow
- 01.12.2017 09:15His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem arrives in Moscow to take part in the celebrations marking the centenary of restoration of Patriarchate in the Russian Orthodox Church