Patriarch Kirill: For the youth it is important that Christianity is a religion of freedom, not a religion of bans
Speaking at the Bishops’ Council on the peculiarities of church preaching, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill reminded the meeting that St. Paul every time considered the peculiarities of his audience, seeking to become all things to all people so that at least some may be saved (cf. 1 Cor. 9:22). In particular, the apostle taught that each age needs a special approach: ‘Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity’ (1 Tim. 5:1-2).
In this connection, the Patriarch pointed to the fact that among the younger generation are representatives of various social groups with various interests, including representatives of particular sub-cultures, students and schoolchildren, scientists and workers, etc. ‘Different groups have their own authorities and guidelines, for this reason the methods of mission among the youth can hardly be unified’, the Primate stressed.
‘For the past years, much has been done. In many dioceses, diocesan youth councils have been organized and numerous youth events have been held. The youth volunteer movement is developing. In comparison with what we saw only a few years ago, it can be stated that serious positive changes have been made in church-wide, diocesan and parish work with the youth. But we should take a sober view of the situation. The result of the work carried out is only a small part of what has to be done.
‘Our word reaches in the first place those who themselves come to churches. For a lot of young men and women the Church remains something unknown lying beyond their life and experience’, His Holiness stated, ‘Meanwhile, the youth is not indifferent, searching for the truth, seeking to perceive the truth. At the same time, characteristic of young minds is protest generated by the desire to make sense of their life on their own, to evaluate what they took for granted earlier when they heard it from their elders. It is for this reason that the apostle writes to Bishop Timothy that he should admonish younger ones as brothers, not look down on them.
‘Church youth organizations, youth actions should not turn into something stereotyped, officious, moralizing and boring. Convincing preaching, especially when it is addressed to the youth, should be supported by deeds, should point to the eternal novelty of the gospel of Christ, demonstrate that a true protest lies in following Christ, rejecting stereotyped behavior imposed by the secular world’, the Patriarch said.
According to His Holiness, ‘For the youth, more than for any other age group, the idea is important that Christianity is a religion of freedom, not a religion of bans, except for the prohibition of sin, and that particular self-restrains proposed to a Christian are needed only because they help us to find the fullness of live and realize that there is true love that does not end with the end of physical life but passes on to eternity.
‘Taking care of the youth, we should also remember those who have been in the Church since their childhood. Many young people have grown up in the families of parents who have taken an active part in church life and experienced since early age the ascetical practice of strict fasting and long divine services, devotional and pilgrims’ feats. Have the children of church parents become Orthodox youth? Have the parishes helped such children and teenagers to find their place in the Church? A person whose religious choice was made by his parents will sooner or later become adult. He will face the need to embrace a world outlook on his own. And we should find the right words to address such young men and women’.
Bishops’ Council information service
- 02.12.2017 23:58Final session of the Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church held with the participation of Primates and representatives of the Local Orthodox Churches
- 02.12.2017 16:50Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church adopts its final documents
- 02.12.2017 14:00Resolutions of the Holy Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church (29th November – 2nd December 2017)
- 02.12.2017 13:58Message by the Holy Episcopal Council to the Clergy, Monks and Nuns and All Faithful Children of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 01.12.2017 18:48Speech by His Holiness Patriarch Kirill at the Meeting of the President of Russia Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin with the Participants of the Episcopal Council of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 01.12.2017 18:38Speech by the President of Russia Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin before the Participants of the Episcopal Council of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 01.12.2017 16:30Briefing on situation around former Metropolitan Philaret of Kiev’s appeal
- 01.12.2017 12:38Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church begins its third day
- 30.11.2017 23:56Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk comments on spreading reports on the appeal of the former Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine
- 30.11.2017 23:50Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church completes its second day work
- 30.11.2017 23:45Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church adopts a Resolution ‘On the Appeal of the former Metropolitan Philaret of Kiev and All Ukraine’
- 30.11.2017 23:30Former Metropolitan Philaret of Kiev and All Ukraine: ‘I ask for your forgiveness in everything in which I sinned by word, deed and all my feelings’
- 30.11.2017 12:12Report by Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine to the Russian Orthodox Church Bishops’ Council (November 29-December 2, 2017)
- 30.11.2017 12:08His Beatitude Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine gives an address at the Bishops’ Council
- 30.11.2017 12:05Second day of the Bishops’ Council’s work
- 29.11.2017 22:30METROPOLITAN HILARION OF VOLOKOLAMSK SPEAKS AT THE SESSION OF THE EPISCOPAL COUNCIL OF THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH ON THE RESULTS OF STUDYING THE DOCUMENTS OF THE COUNCIL ON CRETE
- 29.11.2017 22:15HIS HOLINESS PATRIARCH KIRILL: “THE MEETING ON CUBA WAS AN IMPORTANT STEP ON THE WAY TO RESOLVING THE MORE RELEVANT ISSUES OF THE MODERN-DAY WORLD BY THE JOINT EFFORTS OF THE TWO LARGEST CHURCHES OF THE CHRISTIAN WORLD”
- 29.11.2017 21:28His Holiness notes positive dynamics in Church-state cooperation in Uzbekistan
- 29.11.2017 21:25His Holiness Patriarch Kirill expresses hope that the dialogue between the Church and Turkmenistan’s leadership will help resolve current difficulties
- 29.11.2017 21:22His Holiness specifies pressing problems of the Orthodox Church in Tajikistan
- 29.11.2017 21:20Primate of the Russian Church expresses satisfaction with the level of Church-state cooperation in Kyrgyzstan
- 29.11.2017 21:18His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: Republic of Kazakhstan has been giving an example of constructive Church-state relations for many years
- 29.11.2017 21:17His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: Dialogue of Azerbaijani authorities with Diocese of Baku offers ample opportunities for solving problems of the Orthodox
- 29.11.2017 21:16His Holiness Patriarch Kirill notes a high level dialogue between the Church and the state in Belarus
- 29.11.2017 21:14Positive tendencies in church-state relations in Moldova are noted in the report of His Holiness the Patriarch at the Bishops’ Council
- 29.11.2017 21:10His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: Peacemaking heroic deeds of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church show its true patriotism
- 29.11.2017 19:35HIS HOLINESS PATRIARCH KIRILL: “SIN OUGHT TO BE EXPOSED, BUT WE SHOULD NEVER HUMILIATE ANYONE”
- 29.11.2017 18:51HIS HOLINESS PATRIARCH KIRILL: “COMMUNICATING WITH THE MEDIA IS A CHANCE TO SPEAK ABOUT THE GOSPEL IN AN ACCESIBLE LANGUAGE ON ISSUES WHICH AFFECT TODAY’S PEOPLE”
- 29.11.2017 17:38His Holiness Patriarch Kirill told members of the Bishops’ Council about the preparation of the Catechesis of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 29.11.2017 17:34Primate of Russian Church calls to adopt more systematic approach in opposing sectarianism and neo-paganism
- 29.11.2017 17:27His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: What is sometimes forgotten in pursuit of different technologies is that mission is not a collection of methods, but practical work
- 29.11.2017 17:24His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: The main task of the Church is not to fill children’s mind with vast knowledge, but to help them enter into its life
- 29.11.2017 17:18Primate of Russian Orthodox Church: Theology should be regarded not only as a set of subjects taught at seminaries, but also as a serious science
- 29.11.2017 17:08Reorganization of the system of theological education remains priority for supreme church authorities
- 29.11.2017 17:06His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: While inviting young people to dialogue and using their language, the Church must not lose its integrity
- 29.11.2017 16:59Patriarch Kirill: For the youth it is important that Christianity is a religion of freedom, not a religion of bans
- 29.11.2017 14:33Patriarch Kirill: Signing the Act of Canonical Communion has given us joy over the unity of the faithful of the one Russian Orthodox Church
- 29.11.2017 14:32Patriarch Kirill announces statistical data on the life of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 29.11.2017 14:28Bishops’ Council given information on Patriarch ministry in inter-council period
- 29.11.2017 14:19Patriarch Kirill: Continued attempts are made to impose on the Church a life according to the rules of this world
- 29.11.2017 14:10THE FIRST HIERARCH OF THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH : THE MINISTRY OF THE BISHOP IS INEXTRIABLY LINKED TO THE ORTHODOX UNDERSTANDING OF CONCILIARITY
- 29.11.2017 14:07HIS HOLINESS PATRIARCH KIRILL: THE LOCAL COUNCIL OF 1917-1918 WAS TRULY AN EXTRAORDINARY PEHNOMENON IN THE HISTORY OF THE CHURCH
- 29.11.2017 14:04HIS HOLINESS PATRIARCH KIRILL: THE MAIN HERITAGE OF THE NEW MARTYRS IS THEIR LOVE OF CHRIST AND NEIGHBOUR, FOR WHOM THEY LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES
- 29.11.2017 14:01Opening of the Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 29.11.2017 13:56President of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev sends greetings to participants in Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 29.11.2017 13:55President of Moldova Igor Dodon sends greetings to participants in Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 29.11.2017 13:53President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko sends greetings to participants in the Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church
- 29.11.2017 13:50President Putin’s message of greetings to the Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church