His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Primate of Georgian Orthodox Church
On 19 November 2016, at the Patriarchal residence in St Daniel’s Monastery, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia met with His Holiness and Beatitude Catholicos-Patriarch Iliya II of Georgia.
Among those who accompanied the head of the Georgian Church were Metropolitan Theodore of Akhaltsikhe and Tao-Klarjeti, Metropolitan Gerasim of Zugdidi and Tsaishi, Metropolitan Andrea of Gori and Samtavisi, protopresbyter George Zviadadze, Archimandrite Mirian (Shengelia), Archimandrite David (Chincharauli); archpriest David Sharashenidze; archpriest Alexander Galdava; and Sister Alexandra (Yasybash).
The Russian Orthodox Church was also represented by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations; Archbishop Roman of Yakutsk and Lensk; archpriest Nikolai Balashov, DECR vice-chairman; archpriest Igor Yakimchuk, DECR secretary for inter-Orthodox relations; and archpriest Vladimir Alexandrov, DECR staff member.
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill cordially greeted the Primate of the Georgian Orthodox Church, saying, “I particularly appreciate the presence of Your Holiness and Beatitude. You have been carrying out your Patriarchal ministry longer than any of the current Primates of the Local Orthodox Churches, and your life is closely linked to the life of the Russian Orthodox Church. My biography is intertwined with yours: we took part in many events, both joyful and sorrowful, that were a part of the life of the Orthodox Christians living in the Soviet Union. And later we have always had good, sincere and open relations, based on mutual trust. I believe it has made its great contribution to the promotion of good relationships between our Churches.”
As His Holiness Patriarch Kirill mentioned, the Church of the Holy Great Martyr George in Moscow has become the spiritual centre for representatives of the Georgian diaspora. According to an agreement of the Primates of the Russian and the Georgian Churches, Archimandrite Mirian (Shengelia) takes pastoral care of its parishioners; the divine services are celebrated in the Church Slavonic and Georgian languages. “On Wednesday the church will hold a great celebration – the commemoration day of St George, ‘Giorgoba’ in the Georgian language. It is very important that the Georgian community will be able to meet with their Primate, their spiritual father, and pray together,” His Holiness Patriarch Kirill said and noted that the Russian community also has churches in Tbilisi, in which the divine services are celebrated in Church Slavonic.
“May the blessing of God and the intercession of the Heavenly Queen always be with our Churches, our peoples and our countries. Welcome to Moscow,” the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church said in conclusion.
His Holiness and Beatitude Catholicos-Patriarch Iliya II of All Georgia warmly greeted His Holiness Patriarch Kirill on behalf of the Georgian Orthodox Church, wishing peace and prosperity to the country, to the Russian Orthodox Church and to her Primate.
“The relationships between the Russian and the Georgian Orthodox Churches are of great importance for our states and for our peoples,” His Beatitude said in particular, “Our Churches set an example for the political leaders.”
The participants in the meeting discussed the relations between the peoples and the Churches and the pan-Orthodox cooperation.
DECR Communication Service
Photo by the Patriarchal Press Service
- 25.11.2016 10:58German edition of Patriarch Kirill’s book ‘Freedom and Responsibility’ presented in Berlin
- 23.11.2016 10:31Reception in conclusion of celebration of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 23.11.2016 10:18Concert to mark the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 22.11.2016 21:02Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Bulgarian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:45Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Romanian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:03Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Cardinal Kurt Koch
- 22.11.2016 17:33His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians
- 22.11.2016 08:01Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 05:08Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Patriarchate of Antioch
- 22.11.2016 05:05His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Metropolitan Rastislav of the Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 22.11.2016 01:11Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania
- 22.11.2016 00:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Chrysostomos of Cyprus
- 21.11.2016 21:54Primates and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches attend grand meeting dedicated to the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill
- 21.11.2016 19:19His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Rus addressed the participants of the gathering in the Church Assembly Hall of the Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow
- 20.11.2016 21:42Reception devoted to Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday at the Church of Christ the Saviour
- 20.11.2016 18:46Solemn celebration on Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday in Church of Christ the Savior
- 20.11.2016 18:02His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s homily delivered at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour after the Divine Liturgy on 22nd Sunday after Pentecost
- 20.11.2016 17:22President Putin’s congratulations to Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 20.11.2016 17:06Message of greetings from members of Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 19.11.2016 23:58His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theodoros of Alexandria
- 19.11.2016 20:51Meeting of Primates of Russian and Polish Orthodox Churches
- 19.11.2016 18:34His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Primate of Georgian Orthodox Church
- 19.11.2016 16:34Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Irenaeus of Serbia
- 19.11.2016 15:16His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 19.11.2016 12:53Patriarch Kirill meets with representative of Patriarchate of Constantinople
- 18.11.2016 18:24Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 18.11.2016 08:46Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow