The issue of Orthodox Diaspora to be considered at the Pan-Orthodox Council
In his report delivered at the Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia focused, among other things, on the preparation for the Pan-Orthodox Council and the topics which it will consider.
The Orthodox Diaspora is one of such topics. As a result of the mass migration in the 20th century, a great many Orthodox Christians found themselves in the territories which are not in the jurisdiction of any Local Orthodox Church. Among those people were hierarchs and clerics of different jurisdictions. Such situation has arisen that several Orthodox bishops of different Local Churches may reside in the same city.
As His Holiness Patriarch Kirill noted, the Synaxis of the Primates of the Local Orthodox Churches which completed its work in Chambésy a few days ago took a decision on how the issue of the Orthodox Diaspora is to be addressed at the future Pan-Orthodox Council.
In 2009, the Pan-Orthodox Conference approved the establishment of consultative bodies in some regions – the assemblies of all Orthodox bishops who carry out their ministry in a given region. According to the decision taken at the Conference, the assemblies are consultative bodies which by no means restrict the canonical authority of the Orthodox hierarchs of various jurisdictions in diaspora or interfere with their relations with the Supreme Authority of their Local Churches.
It was supposed to be a temporary situation; the Pan-Orthodox Council was to take another, final, decision on the matter. “However, the objective and comprehensive analysis of the problem of diaspora and, first and foremost, the experience accumulated by the Episcopal Assemblies which, on the one hand, bear witness to the unity of the Orthodox Church, and on the other, confirm the natural right of each Orthodox Church to take care of her flock in diaspora, have shown that no new conciliar decisions on this matter are required, and the current practice of the Episcopal Assemblies is to be maintained,” His Holiness Patriarch Kirill said.
Information Service of the Bishops’ Council/
DECR Communication Service
- 03.02.2016 12:50Bishops’ Council glorifies Archbishop Seraphim (Sobolev)
- 02.02.2016 17:31Patriarch Kirill: At the present stage of drafting the catechesis, the priority is its church reception
- 02.02.2016 16:34His Holiness Patriarch Kirill emphasizes the necessity to establish effective system of distant learning at seminaries
- 02.02.2016 12:45In course of preparations for Pan-Orthodox Council, most of Russian Orthodox Church’s proposals approved
- 02.02.2016 12:41His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: Unilateral recognition of schism in Ukraine will have catastrophic consequences for the unity of the Orthodox Church
- 02.02.2016 12:38Patriarch Kirill: Any unilateral actions in granting autocephaly should be excluded
- 02.02.2016 12:36The issue of Orthodox Diaspora to be considered at the Pan-Orthodox Council
- 02.02.2016 12:25Patriarch Kirill: The Pan-Orthodox Council’s document on Sacrament of Marriage called to respond to challenges threatening institution of family in modern world
- 02.02.2016 12:20His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: “The Mission of the Orthodox Church in Today’s World” is, I believe, the key document on the agenda of the Pan-Orthodox Council
- 02.02.2016 12:15Patriarch Kirill: There was no question of any union of the Orthodox Church with the non-Orthodox
- 02.02.2016 12:10A draft document of Pan-Orthodox Council affirms for the first time on pan-Orthodox scale the obligatory character of Nativity, Apostles’ and Dormition fasts
- 02.02.2016 12:00Patriarch Kirill: We do not call the forthcoming Pan-Orthodox Council ecumenical
- 02.02.2016 11:45His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: An attempt to expel Christianity from the Middle East is a tragedy of historic scale that affects the whole world
- 02.02.2016 11:35Patriarch Kirill calls upon the plenitude of the Russian Church to continue praying for peace in Ukraine
- 02.02.2016 11:20Heads of states in Moscow Patriarchate’s canonical territory greet the Bishops’ Council
- 02.02.2016 11:10The Sacred Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church opens in Moscow