The Sacred Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church opens in Moscow
On 2 February 2016, the Sacred Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church has opened in the Hall of Church Councils of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow. Attending the Council are archpastors from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Tajikistan. Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Estonia, and also from far abroad countries with the dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church.
Invited to the Council are 354 archpastors from 293 dioceses of the Russian Orthodox Church.
The Divine Liturgy, praying at which were His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia and bishops invited to the Council, was celebrated before the sessions. Archpriest Mikhail Ryazantsev and Moscow clerics officiated.
Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia chairs the Bishops’ Council in accordance to the Statute of the Russian Orthodox Church.
The Presidium includes permanent members of the Holy Synod: Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine; Metropolitan Juvenaly of Krutitsy and Kolomna; Metropolitan Vladimir of Kishinev and All Moldova; Metropolitan Alexander of Astana and Kazakhstan, head of the metropolitan area in the Republic of Kazakhstan; Metropolitan Vikenty of Tashkent and Uzbekistan, head of the metropolitan area of Central Asia; Metropolitan Varsonofy of St Petersburg and Ladoga, chancellor of the Moscow Patriarchate; Metropolitan Pavel of Minsk and Zaslavsk, Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus; and Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations.
The Presidium also includes the bishops invited to the winter session of the Holy Synod: Metropolitan Isidor of Smolensk and Roslavl, Archbishop Ioann of Magadan and Sinegorsk; Bishop Markell of Beltsy and Felesht; and Bishop Varlaam of Makhachkala and Grozny.
Also, in compliance with the decision of the Holy Synod of 24 December 2015 (minutes 96) and taking into consideration the importance of participation of the primates of the autonomous and self-governing parts of the Moscow Patriarchate in the Council leadership, included in the Presidium were Metropolitan Hilarion of Eastern America and New York and Metropolitan Alexander of Riga and All Latvia.
Prayer service was celebrated before the first plenary session. His Holiness Patriarch Kirill offered a prayer asking God’s blessing for the Council’s work.
His Holiness addressed the audience with an introductory word in which he noted that the Bishops’ Council was convened a year earlier than the Statute requires due to the preparation to the Pan-Orthodox Council.
“The Bishops’ Council of 2013 underscored that the preparation must provide for extensive discussion of the resolutions due to be adopted at the Council and take particular care for preserving the purity of the Orthodox teaching. That is why the Holy Synod decided that the time had come for the detailed discussion of the issues that may arise in the pre-council process,’ Patriarch Kirill said and added:
“Also, we will discuss a difficult theme of the ‘Yekaterinburg remains’ and the implementation of the decisions adopted by that Council.”
The Council’s members adopted the rules of procedure, programme and agenda and approved the membership of the Credentials, Drafting, and Tally Commissions.
Metropolitan Varsonofy of St. Petersburg and Ladoga, chancellor of the Moscow Patriarchate, was elected secretary of the Bishops’ Council; Archbishop Innokenty of Vilnius and Lithuania – chairman of the Credentials Commission; Metropolitan of Pavel of Minsk and Zaslavsk – chairman of the Drafring Commissions; and Metropolitan Sergy of Ternopol and Kremenets – chairman of the Tally Commission.
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia delivered a repot on the life and activity of the Russian Orthodox Church.
- 03.02.2016 12:50Bishops’ Council glorifies Archbishop Seraphim (Sobolev)
- 02.02.2016 17:31Patriarch Kirill: At the present stage of drafting the catechesis, the priority is its church reception
- 02.02.2016 16:34His Holiness Patriarch Kirill emphasizes the necessity to establish effective system of distant learning at seminaries
- 02.02.2016 12:45In course of preparations for Pan-Orthodox Council, most of Russian Orthodox Church’s proposals approved
- 02.02.2016 12:41His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: Unilateral recognition of schism in Ukraine will have catastrophic consequences for the unity of the Orthodox Church
- 02.02.2016 12:38Patriarch Kirill: Any unilateral actions in granting autocephaly should be excluded
- 02.02.2016 12:36The issue of Orthodox Diaspora to be considered at the Pan-Orthodox Council
- 02.02.2016 12:25Patriarch Kirill: The Pan-Orthodox Council’s document on Sacrament of Marriage called to respond to challenges threatening institution of family in modern world
- 02.02.2016 12:20His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: “The Mission of the Orthodox Church in Today’s World” is, I believe, the key document on the agenda of the Pan-Orthodox Council
- 02.02.2016 12:15Patriarch Kirill: There was no question of any union of the Orthodox Church with the non-Orthodox
- 02.02.2016 12:10A draft document of Pan-Orthodox Council affirms for the first time on pan-Orthodox scale the obligatory character of Nativity, Apostles’ and Dormition fasts
- 02.02.2016 12:00Patriarch Kirill: We do not call the forthcoming Pan-Orthodox Council ecumenical
- 02.02.2016 11:45His Holiness Patriarch Kirill: An attempt to expel Christianity from the Middle East is a tragedy of historic scale that affects the whole world
- 02.02.2016 11:35Patriarch Kirill calls upon the plenitude of the Russian Church to continue praying for peace in Ukraine
- 02.02.2016 11:20Heads of states in Moscow Patriarchate’s canonical territory greet the Bishops’ Council
- 02.02.2016 11:10The Sacred Bishops’ Council of the Russian Orthodox Church opens in Moscow