Russian Orthodox Church delegation takes part in 10th Assembly of the World Council of Churches
October 30, 2013 – the 10th General Assembly of the World Council of Churches began its work at the Bexco convention center in Busan. The delegation of the Russian Orthodox Church is led by Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, head of the Department for External Church Relations.
Among the speakers at the opening were Dr. O. Tveit, WCC secretary general, Dr. Walter Altmann, president of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Brazil and moderator of the WCC Central Committee, Dr. K. S. Wan, moderator of the Assembly Preparatory Committee, and Busan Mayor Hur Nam-sik.
The Assembly is expected to discuss Christian solidarity and mutual aid in face of the persecution against Christians in various parts of the world, a peace settlement in Syria and economic and social justice in the modern society.
The opening ceremony concluded with a dramatized presentation, after which the 10th Assembly of the World Council of Churches held its first plenary session.
DECR Communications Service
- 05.11.2013 18:10A seminar on Sources of Authority in the Church held at the 10th WCC Assembly
- 04.11.2013 13:16Metropolitan Hilarion meets with Russian ambassador to South Korea
- 03.11.2013 12:35Metropolitan Hilarion celebrates the Divine Liturgy in the Russian general consulate in Busan
- 01.11.2013 19:50Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk addresses General Assembly of the World Council of Churches
- 01.11.2013 14:06Metropolitan Hilarion: The Voice Of The Church Must Be Prophetic
- 31.10.2013 04:18Metropolitan Hilarion: the purpose of our participation in the assembly of the World Council of Church is to bear witness to Orthodoxy before the non-Orthodox world
- 30.10.2013 23:41Russian Orthodox Church delegation takes part in 10th Assembly of the World Council of Churches