His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Ecumenical Patriarchate
On 24 July 2013, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia met with a delegation of the Ecumenical Patriarchate which arrived in Moscow to participate in the celebration of the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus. The delegation consists of Metropolitan Emmanuel of France; archimandrite Bartholomew (Samaras), secretary general of the Holy and Sacred Synod; and archimandrite Bessarion (Komzias), director of the Patriarchal library.
Taking part in the meeting, which was held at the Patriarchal resident in Chisty side-street, were Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations (DECR); archbishop Mark of Yegorievsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Administration for Institutions Abroad; archpriest Nikolai Balashov, DECR vice-chairman; archpriest Igor Yakimchuk, DECR secretary for inter- Christian relations; and Rev. Alexander Vasyutin, DECR staff member.
“We are happy to see you among the participants in the celebration of the `1025th anniversary. This date is very meaningful for us and for you,” His Holiness said while greeting the guests. He mentioned another date celebrated this year: 1150 years ago Patriarch Photius sent Ss Cyril and Methodius on a mission to the Slavic countries. The first Christians in Rus appeared thanks to this mission. Later, the Great Prince Vladimir was baptized and initiated the baptism of all Russia people. This event was of a great importance as it expanded the Eastern civilization and made it even stronger.
The Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church mentioned many events, both joyful and tragic, that happened during the last twenty-five years and added: “Today we say with gratitude to God that the seeds sown by Prince Vladimir have not only ripened, but also brought a great fruit.”
His Holiness Kirill noted with thanks His Holiness Patriarch Bartholomew’s attention to the celebration. “We regret that he could not come, but we are happy to receive such a worthy delegation,” he said addressing Metropolitan Emmanuel of France, who expressed gratitude for an invitation and said further that our Churches have always maintained good relations and the spirit of mutual understanding despite certain difficulties, but God’s wisdom triumphed at those moments.
As to the development of relations between the two Churches, Metropolitan Emmanuel noted the importance of contacts maintained through the Department fir External Church Relations and especially with its chairman, Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk.
During a long fraternal talk, discussed was a wide range of problems of Orthodox cooperation, interconfessional relations and bilateral inter-church relations. In consideration of the work for the good of the Holy Church and in connection with the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill awarded Metropolitans Emmanuel of France and Bishop Athenagoras of Sinope with the Orders of St. Vladimir (1st class), archimandrite Bartholomew (Samaras) and archimandrite Bessarion (Komzias) – the Orders of St. Vladimir (3rd class).
- 01.08.2013 15:35His Beatitude Patriarch Theodore of Alexandria: I have given my heart to Russia
- 31.07.2013 19:34Metropolitan Filaret of Minsk and Slutsk meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 30.07.2013 16:36Patriarch Kirill: By celebrating the 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Rus’ we close the link of times
- 29.07.2013 23:25His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and Primates of Local Orthodox Churches meet with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko
- 29.07.2013 19:24Primates of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate the Liturgy in Minsk Old Town
- 29.07.2013 18:29Patriarch Kirill’s homily after Divine Liturgy in Old City in Minsk
- 28.07.2013 19:20Homily delivered by Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia in Kiev Laura of the Caves on the commemoration day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 28.07.2013 19:13The Day of St. Vladimir Equal-to-the-Apostles marked by Divine Liturgy celebrated by heads and hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 22:28Ukrainian President awards Primates of Local Orthodox Churches
- 27.07.2013 16:48Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church meets for regular session at Kiev Monastery of the Caves
- 27.07.2013 16:27Thanksgiving celebrated on St. Vladimir’s Hill in Kiev
- 26.07.2013 22:52His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Orthodox Church of Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 26.07.2013 22:14His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Albanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 17:17His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 16:54Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of the Romanian Orthodox Church
- 26.07.2013 00:49Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria
- 25.07.2013 23:40President Putin meets with heads and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches
- 25.07.2013 20:02Statement by Heads and Representatives of the Local Orthodox Churches Assembled for the Celebration of the 1025th Anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 25.07.2013 17:12Patriarch Kirill meets with the Primate of the Orthodox Church of Alexandria
- 24.07.2013 23:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Ecumenical Patriarchate
- 24.07.2013 17:21Primates and Hierarchs of Local Orthodox Churches celebrate Liturgy at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour on the commemoration day of St Olga Equal-to-the-Apostles
- 24.07.2013 04:04Meeting between Primates of Russian and Georgian Orthodox Churches
- 24.07.2013 03:25Patriarch Kirill’s meeting with Archbishop Chrisostomos of Cyprus
- 24.07.2013 02:43Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 23.07.2013 10:08His Holiness Patriarch Kirill greets delegation of Orthodox Church of Antioch
- 22.07.2013 23:29His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 21:48Delegation of Orthodox Church of Jerusalem arrives in Moscow
- 22.07.2013 17:43DECR chairman meets with His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 22.07.2013 12:55Delegation of the Church of Antioch arrives for the celebrations of 1025th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia
- 22.07.2013 12:22His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon blesses memorial plaque honouring the 220th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Mission in America
- 21.07.2013 16:11Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow