Patriarch Kirill: spiritual factor is decisive in relations between the Russian and Greek nations
On June 7, during his visit to the Monastery of Panagia Dovra, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, at journalists’ request, shared his impressions of the visit to Greece:
‘I was going to Greece with a light heart because I knew I would be surrounded by love and respect. When you come to this land, a common prayer becomes a very important part of the visit. I prayed together with thousands of Greeks, with clergy and episcopate, and this uplifted my spiritual state and established the right dimension of the whole visit.
‘The visit of a Patriarch is not a political but spiritual one. But if we speak of the importance of the spiritual factor in relations between our two countries, it is the decisive one because in any historical period, even during the difficult time of the Cold War, we felt we were friends and supported each other, not mentioning today. And the only reason for this is the one Orthodox faith. We should clearly understand the importance of this factor and to do everything possible to strengthen relations between our two Churches, because then relations between our two nations will be strengthened indeed.
‘This was the principal aim of my visit, and I am glad that, as far as I can understand it, it has been achieved’.
The Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church was on a pilgrimage to Mount Athos for several days. At journalists’ request, His Holiness shared his thoughts about the significance of the Holy Mount for our contemporaries and the role of Orthodox monasticism in today’s world:
‘If we speak about the role of monasticism and the role of Mount Athos, it is very great because monasticism in the Church is a certain foundation stone, a column that supports the whole construction. Why? – because monks leave everything in this world, abandon what is cherished by an absolute majority of people, doing so for the only goal to dedicate themselves to God through prayer, contemplation, good works and theological studies. This is why monasticism has always been a source for the replenishment of church cadres including the highest posts in the Church. This tradition goes back to high antiquity, and it effectively works today as well.
‘When you come to Mount Athos, you understand the importance of monasticism for the whole Orthodox Church and become especially aware of the significance of the Holy Mount. Holy Mount Athos is a peninsula, but it is a peninsula in a figurative senses as well – the peninsula of Byzantium, of what has survived from Byzantium to reach the 21st century.
‘But since the Athonite monasticism is not isolated from the world, it is not an island or an archaeological museum. Mount Athos is connected with today’s life without being an isolated island.
‘Historically and geographically, Mount Athos is a peninsula with its living link with the contemporary society, and through this link, spiritual impulses of the Athonite monasticism are taken in by very many people.
‘I can judge by our people, for instance, in Russia, Ukraine… I can speak about those who only yesterday could not say they were Orthodox, but today, coming in touch with Mount Athos, they become Orthodox with all the ensuing consequences, that is, certain responsibilities for the world and people around.
‘Mount Athos is really a source of spiritual power for Orthodox monasticism. For Russia, it has happened so historically because through Mount Athos we have received our monasticism and discovered much from the point of view of spiritual experience. Today this role of Mount Athos is becoming ever more important’.
DECR Communication Service
- 07.06.2013 23:38Patriarch Kirill completes his visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece
- 07.06.2013 22:05Patriarch Kirill: spiritual factor is decisive in relations between the Russian and Greek nations
- 07.06.2013 05:12Patriarch Kirill makes thorough inspection of restoration work in Old Russic
- 07.06.2013 04:53Patriarch Kirill prays at St. Andrew Hermitage on Mount Athos
- 07.06.2013 02:36Patriarch Kirill visits Xilourgou hermitage
- 07.06.2013 00:38Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines at the Monastery of Vatopedi
- 06.06.2013 19:09Patriarch Kirill celebrates thanksgiving in Hilandar Monastery
- 06.06.2013 14:39Patriarch Kirill visits Zograf Monastery
- 06.06.2013 02:03His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Scete of Prophet Elijah founded by St. Paisius Velichkovsky on Mount Athos
- 06.06.2013 00:57Primate of the Russian Church celebrates prayer service at the Monastery of Pantocrator
- 06.06.2013 00:07His Holiness Patriarch Kirill venerates Panagia Portaitissa at Iveron Monastery
- 05.06.2013 15:29His Holiness celebrates at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 05.06.2013 09:32Patriarch Kirill says prayer for the dead at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 05.06.2013 00:08Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines of the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 04.06.2013 23:46Patriarch Kirill meets with members of the Mount Athos Epistasia
- 04.06.2013 14:21Patriarch Kirill arrives on Mount Athos
- 04.06.2013 05:42His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Metropolis of Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 05:26Primate of the Russian Church celebrates prayer service at the Cathedral of St. Gregory Palamas in Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 05:02Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church arrives in Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 04:50His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with the Greek Prime Minister, Antonis Samaras
- 04.06.2013 04:47President of Greece Karolos Papoulias awards Patriarch Kirill with the Order of Honour
- 03.06.2013 18:52Highest awards of the Orthodox Church of Greece are conferred upon members of the Russian Orthodox Church delegation
- 03.06.2013 18:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill attends grand meeting of the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church of Greece
- 03.06.2013 02:45Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia visit “Apostoli” Charity
- 02.06.2013 23:48His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Russian church of the Holy Trinity in Athens
- 02.06.2013 18:30Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia celebrate Divine Liturgy at the Church of St. Panteleimon in Athens
- 02.06.2013 02:12Primates of the Orthodox Church of Greece and Russia meet in Athens
- 01.06.2013 21:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill begins official visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece