Patriarch Kirill celebrates thanksgiving in Hilandar Monastery
On June 6, 2013, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, accompanied by a large delegation of church and state officials, visited Hilandar Monastery.
At the Hilandar Church of the Presentation of Our Lady, Holiness said a thanksgiving at the wonderworking Icon of Our Lady of the Three Hands.
After the thanksgiving, the abbot of Hilandar Monastery, Archimandrite Mefodije, addressed Patriarch Kirill noting that since the time of Tsar Ivan IV the Russians have brought many gifts to Hilandar and have always given it the necessary support. The monastery still keeps old tsars’ deeds. And when a fire damaged many monastery buildings in 2004, funds for their restorations came, among others, from Russia. He also said that in various times there were Russian monks in the Hilandar monastic communities.
Since old times, the abbot said, Hilandar monks used to bring shrines for veneration in Moscow, among them a replica of the wonderworking Icon of Our Lady of the Three Hands, which was brought to Moscow in 1661 at the request of Patriarch Nikon. It was lost during the time of persecution against the Church, and in 2011 he had to bring a new copy in place of the lost one.
Archimandrite Mefodije also asked Patriarch Krill to pray for the suffering people in Kosovo.
In his response, His Holiness Kirill pointed to significant intersections in the history of Russian and Serbian monkhood, recalling that St. Sava of Serbia, the founder of Hilandar, began his monastic journey in the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos.
Serbia and Russia have always been together in the hardest of times, he said. ‘Today we are enduring a tragedy of Kosovo and Metohija, the spiritual center of the Serbian Orthodox Church. It is so important therefore that Hilandar prays for the Serbian people’, he said.
The Primate of the Russian Church thanked the Hilandar abbot and monastic community for bringing a copy of the Icon of Our Lady of the Three Hands on the occasion of the 350th anniversary of the bringing of the original copy of the wonderworking icon, which was irretrievably lost after the 1917 Revolution.
His Holiness presented Archimandrite Mefodije with a pectoral cross and Hilandar with an Icon of Heavenly Queen of Kasperovo.
His Holiness also saw the St. Sava Well and, having scooped up some water by a bucket, washed his face. He also saw the St. Symeon Vine and the monastery’s museum with its icons dating back to the 13th century.
- 07.06.2013 23:38Patriarch Kirill completes his visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece
- 07.06.2013 22:05Patriarch Kirill: spiritual factor is decisive in relations between the Russian and Greek nations
- 07.06.2013 05:12Patriarch Kirill makes thorough inspection of restoration work in Old Russic
- 07.06.2013 04:53Patriarch Kirill prays at St. Andrew Hermitage on Mount Athos
- 07.06.2013 02:36Patriarch Kirill visits Xilourgou hermitage
- 07.06.2013 00:38Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines at the Monastery of Vatopedi
- 06.06.2013 19:09Patriarch Kirill celebrates thanksgiving in Hilandar Monastery
- 06.06.2013 14:39Patriarch Kirill visits Zograf Monastery
- 06.06.2013 02:03His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Scete of Prophet Elijah founded by St. Paisius Velichkovsky on Mount Athos
- 06.06.2013 00:57Primate of the Russian Church celebrates prayer service at the Monastery of Pantocrator
- 06.06.2013 00:07His Holiness Patriarch Kirill venerates Panagia Portaitissa at Iveron Monastery
- 05.06.2013 15:29His Holiness celebrates at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 05.06.2013 09:32Patriarch Kirill says prayer for the dead at the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 05.06.2013 00:08Patriarch Kirill venerates shrines of the Russian Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos
- 04.06.2013 23:46Patriarch Kirill meets with members of the Mount Athos Epistasia
- 04.06.2013 14:21Patriarch Kirill arrives on Mount Athos
- 04.06.2013 05:42His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Metropolis of Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 05:26Primate of the Russian Church celebrates prayer service at the Cathedral of St. Gregory Palamas in Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 05:02Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church arrives in Thessaloniki
- 04.06.2013 04:50His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with the Greek Prime Minister, Antonis Samaras
- 04.06.2013 04:47President of Greece Karolos Papoulias awards Patriarch Kirill with the Order of Honour
- 03.06.2013 18:52Highest awards of the Orthodox Church of Greece are conferred upon members of the Russian Orthodox Church delegation
- 03.06.2013 18:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill attends grand meeting of the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church of Greece
- 03.06.2013 02:45Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia visit “Apostoli” Charity
- 02.06.2013 23:48His Holiness Patriarch Kirill visits Russian church of the Holy Trinity in Athens
- 02.06.2013 18:30Primates of the Orthodox Churches of Greece and Russia celebrate Divine Liturgy at the Church of St. Panteleimon in Athens
- 02.06.2013 02:12Primates of the Orthodox Church of Greece and Russia meet in Athens
- 01.06.2013 21:00His Holiness Patriarch Kirill begins official visit to the Orthodox Church of Greece