Archbishop Hilarion visits the Monastery of Kykka in Cyprus
Archbishop Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate department for external church relations, on a visit to Cyprus for a meeting of the joint Orthodox-Catholic theological commission for dialogue, visited the Monastery of Our Lady of Kykka, on 20 October 2009.
He venerated the monastery’s main shrine – the miracle-working Icon of Our Lady of Kykka, saw the monastery’s churches and museum of church archeology and shared a meal with representatives of the monastic community.
Then His Eminence walked up Mount Troni to the tomb of Archbishop Makarios III, head of the Orthodox Church of Cyprus from 1950 to 1977, who became the first president of the Republic of Cyprus when it gained independence in 1959. Archbishop Hilarion and his fellow travelers sang ‘Eternal Memory’ to this outstanding minister of the Church.
DECR Communication Service