Concert to mark the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
On 22 November 2016, a gala concert to mark the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia took place at the Hall of Church Council of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour.
Sitting in the first row were His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Belorussian President Alexander Lukashenko, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev and his wife, Chair of the Federation Council of the Federal Assembly Ms. Valentina Matvienko, His Beatitude Pope and Patriarch Theodoros II of Alexandria and All Africa; His Holiness and Beatitude Catholicos Patriarch Ilia II of All Georgia; His Holiness Patriarch Irenaeus of Serbia; His Beatitude Archbishop Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania; His Beatitude Metropolitan Rastislav of the Czech Lands and Slovakia; His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada; His Holiness Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos Karekin II of All Armenians, Cardinal Kurt Koch, President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, Sheikh ul-Islam Allashukur Pashazade, head of the Administration of Muslims of the Caucasus, and members of the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
Also attending the concert were members of the delegations of the Local Orthodox Churches, bishops and clerics of the Russian Orthodox Church, representatives of traditional religions of Russia and of non-Orthodox confessions, diplomats, heads of governmental structures, of public and charity organizations, and workers of science and culture
Head of the Russian Cinematoghaphers’ Union Nikita Mikhalkov opened the concert by addressing Russian President, His Holiness, Russian Prime-Minister, Belorussian President and Chair of the Federation Council and said: ‘Today we and millions of TV viewers honour and congratulate our Patriarch Kirill on the wonderful jubilee – his 70th birthday. We will present the key events from the life of our Patriarch and we believe that people in this hall, at the TV sets throughout the country and all Orthodox Christians in the world will again see Patriarch Kirill’s power, intellect, perseverance and faithfulness to his ministry.’
Shown on the screen was chronicle of the Local Council of 2009 at which Metropolitan Kirill of Smolensk was elected Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia.
The Moscow Synodal Choir conducted by Alexei Puzakov sang ‘Praise the Name of the Lord’ by Sergei Rachmaninov.
Addressing the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church President Vladimir Putin, said: ‘For millions of people throughout the world you personify the high authority of the Russian Orthodox Church being a dedicated successor to its traditions and outstanding labours of its champions who had made invaluable contribution to the affirmation of Christian values and played great role in the establishment and development of the Russian state.
“The Russian Orthodox Church is a great preacher of love to the Fatherland and its mighty defender which has always upheld principles of the good, truth, and faithfulness to our country. Along with our traditional confessions the Russian Orthodox Church is a major spiritual mainstay of our people and our statehood. This is especially important today when the world community encounters new difficult challenges and needs as never before mutual understanding, accord and trust among countries and nations.’
Russian President awarded His Holiness Patriarch Kirill with the Order ‘For Merit to the Fatherland’, 1st class.
Belorussian President Alexander Lukashenko also congratulated the Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church. He said: ‘Your Holiness! As you know, you enjoy well-deserved recognition and popular love in Byelorussia. Christians, Muslims, and representatives of other religions know you thanks to your work and kindness to our country. Any your visit is an event and wherever you celebrate divine services, be it in the legendary Polotsk, heroic Brest, ancient Vitebsk, or the capital city of Minsk, people meet you as their good shepherd and courageous guide. The Orthodox Church under your primatial leadership promotes spiritual unity of the Slavic peoples of Byelorussia and Russia based on such Christian values as peacefulness, mutual aid, humanism and justice.’
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill addressed the audience, cordially thanked the speakers for their kind words and shared his views on the tasks of church ministry. He said: ‘May the Lord bless our Fatherland, our historical Rus’ and all Slavic people who now live in the independent states, but have common historical sources. I do hope that our onward movement will be peaceful, tranquil and smooth.’
The Moscow Synodal Choir conducted by Alexei Puzakov sang “Many Years” by Sergei Prokofiev. Also performing in the concert were the Symphony Orchestra conducted by a people’s artist Yuri Bashmet, the Kuban Cossak Choir, honoured artists of Russia Yevgeny Dyatlov and Olga Borodina, people’s artist Inna Churikova, ‘Domisolka’ children’s ensemble.
The concert was broadcast by Russia Kultura TV channel.
- 25.11.2016 10:58German edition of Patriarch Kirill’s book ‘Freedom and Responsibility’ presented in Berlin
- 23.11.2016 10:31Reception in conclusion of celebration of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 23.11.2016 10:18Concert to mark the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill takes place at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
- 22.11.2016 21:02Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Bulgarian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:45Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Romanian Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 20:03Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Cardinal Kurt Koch
- 22.11.2016 17:33His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians
- 22.11.2016 08:01Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Greek Orthodox Church
- 22.11.2016 05:08Patriarch Kirill meets with delegation of Patriarchate of Antioch
- 22.11.2016 05:05His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Metropolitan Rastislav of the Czech Lands and Slovakia
- 22.11.2016 01:11Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Anastasios of Tirana and All Albania
- 22.11.2016 00:32His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Archbishop Chrysostomos of Cyprus
- 21.11.2016 21:54Primates and representatives of Local Orthodox Churches attend grand meeting dedicated to the 70th birthday of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill
- 21.11.2016 19:19His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Rus addressed the participants of the gathering in the Church Assembly Hall of the Christ the Saviour Cathedral in Moscow
- 20.11.2016 21:42Reception devoted to Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday at the Church of Christ the Saviour
- 20.11.2016 18:46Solemn celebration on Patriarch Kirill’s 70th birthday in Church of Christ the Savior
- 20.11.2016 18:02His Holiness Patriarch Kirill’s homily delivered at the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour after the Divine Liturgy on 22nd Sunday after Pentecost
- 20.11.2016 17:22President Putin’s congratulations to Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 20.11.2016 17:06Message of greetings from members of Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill on his 70th birthday
- 19.11.2016 23:58His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theodoros of Alexandria
- 19.11.2016 20:51Meeting of Primates of Russian and Polish Orthodox Churches
- 19.11.2016 18:34His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with Primate of Georgian Orthodox Church
- 19.11.2016 16:34Patriarch Kirill meets with Patriarch Irenaeus of Serbia
- 19.11.2016 15:16His Holiness Patriarch Kirill meets with His Beatitude Patriarch Theophilos of Jerusalem
- 19.11.2016 12:53Patriarch Kirill meets with representative of Patriarchate of Constantinople
- 18.11.2016 18:24Primate of Russian Orthodox Church meets with Metropolitan Tikhon of All America and Canada
- 18.11.2016 08:46Primate of the Orthodox Church in America arrives in Moscow